Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of February 2011 (Mon)   #1
Spiffae

Unhappy [SOLVED] 5D Mark II - Won't turn on, water damage?

After shooting with my 5D2/24-105L all day without issue (intermittent rain on the body, certainly less than this body/lens combo has been through) I tried to review my images during the ride home and found that the camera wouldn't turn on. Figuring that I had somehow discharged the last half of the battery I didn't think much of it and took it home and put the battery in the charger. It went through the whole charging cycle (started at a single blinking dot) - but no luck with the camera.

As soon as I noticed the camera wasn't turning on I removed the battery - there was some water on the battery door but it didn't seem like anything in the compartment. Now when I put the battery in the camera (no lens, spare CF) The CF LED flashes for about a second, then goes dark - after that nothing makes the camera twitch, save for opening and closing the battery door. With the CF out there is no flash, and it makes no difference whether or not the power switch is on or off when I close the battery door - but I keep getting that flash.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm on the tail end of my 3 year service contract and will contact them tomorrow if the camera doesn't turn on (it's drying now) - but since it seems to semi-boot, it doesn't seem totally shorted, does it?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm worried about my baby! Also - I'm not around a computer or other body for the next couple days - is there any chance this could have effected the photos? there's no water in or around the CF door.

Very strange, I've been through so much worse with this 5D and my old 20D

Last edited by Spiffae : 15th of February 2011 (Tue) at 01:59.
Spiffae is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of February 2011 (Mon)   #2
jaycky
Goldmember

Default Re: 5D Mark II - Won't turn on, water damage?

Do you have a spare battery?
Maybe your battery is done
jaycky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of February 2011 (Mon)   #3
Spiffae

unfortunately no spare battery - the battery was just fine today, had no issue charging, and now shows steady green LED when placed in the charger. I can get one in a few days from a friend - any way to test it?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #4
jaycky
Goldmember

dunno sounds crappy but it does sound like if it wants to boot up maybe its just a simple battery that would be the best case deal
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #5
jaycky
Goldmember

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonds...7622772153479/

something to tide you over here
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #6
Spiffae

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycky View Post
well i don't think THAT is what my body looks like... at least i hope not!
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #7
acornsarebitter

I'm probably not understanding something, but what makes you say it is semi-booting? My Canon 5D Mark II has always flashed the LED whenever I put a battery in, even if it's off. I figure it's just reading the battery info, since it tracks batteries in firmware. Sounds like the camera is just not turning on, period.

But don't lose hope. I've had my 5DII (and previous EOS DSLRs) malfunction multiple times and they were fine once they dried out again. Early last year I dropped my cellphone into a sink full of water (in the middle of a call), completely submerged, and of course the phone was wigging out. I took the battery out and the entire inside of the phone was dripping with water. I dried it best I could, and crossed my fingers. Next day I put the battery back in and the phone has worked perfectly ever since.
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #8
Spiffae

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsarebitter View Post
I'm probably not understanding something, but what makes you say it is semi-booting? My Canon 5D Mark II has always flashed the LED whenever I put a battery in, even if it's off. I figure it's just reading the battery info, since it tracks batteries in firmware. Sounds like the camera is just not turning on, period.
I guess what I mean is that the insides haven't been fried by a bold of lightning or total discharge of the battery - it is still functioning enough that it knows to flash the LED when the battery goes in. The off switch doesn't really cut the power anyway, so it should do some sort of boot when the battery goes in, no matter where the switch is at.
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #9
acornsarebitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffae View Post
I guess what I mean is that the insides haven't been fried by a bold of lightning or total discharge of the battery - it is still functioning enough that it knows to flash the LED when the battery goes in. The off switch doesn't really cut the power anyway, so it should do some sort of boot when the battery goes in, no matter where the switch is at.
Ah, I understand now. Well, good luck tomorrow. I know things look bad right now, but if the inside of the camera really didn't get wet, there's a good chance it was just condensation and the camera just needs to dry out.
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #10
Spiffae

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsarebitter View Post
Ah, I understand now. Well, good luck tomorrow. I know things look bad right now, but if the inside of the camera really didn't get wet, there's a good chance it was just condensation and the camera just needs to dry out.
Thanks! They look bad indeed
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #11
Spiffae

Well there you have it! After a couple hours in front of a low-intensity dry heating vent with all the compartments and doors open, the fickle lady is alive again. Who knows what part was condensed, but it's resolved now.

Thanks for the support/suggestions, folks.
Old 16th of February 2011 (Wed)   #12
jaycky
Goldmember

i am so paranoid on shooting outside in the wet
Old 16th of February 2011 (Wed)   #13
bruceq

Where are you located? I have access to an industrial dehumidifier cabinet we use for drying out test equipment. I would be happy to put your 5D mkII in for a good drying session.
Old 16th of February 2011 (Wed)   #14
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Bearing in mind that the 5D models were modeled after the xxD bodies rather than the 1D bodies (or the new 7D line) you can understand that the 5Ds don't have the robuter weathersealing of either line.

The last time I had my 5D Classic out in intermittent showers, the top LCD ended the day showing problems. Fortunately a day in the warmth got things back up.

It's not about how hard it rains so much as the little leaks around the vulnerable places.

As an anecdote, I once had a lens take a tumble into a fresh water tidal pool -- an older 70-300 IS lens, it ended up under a few feet of water and so was pretty soggy inside.

It spent two days in and out of a "warm" oven (door slightly open) before I could look in and see no signs of moisture. And then, to my relief, I tried it out and both the AF and the IS worked fine!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of February 2011 (Wed)   #15
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

One thing you really have to watch is changing memory cards in the rain. If water gets in through the memory card door, it can fry the camera in a hurry. That was happening to pros with their 1D-series left and right at a rainy Super Bowl a few years ago. Canon support ran completely out of loaner cameras. I have no idea if those cameras came back to life after drying out, but wouldn't want to risk it.

A few years ago I got soaked while carrying two 30Ds with 550EX flashes and lenses mounted.I was literally stuck out in a steady rain for about 20 minutes with no shelter. I didn't want to open my backpack to try to put the cameras away, and get everything elses inside soaked, too.

I just turned everything off and protected it as best I could with my jacket and arms. Then when I finally got to shelter I dried off the outsides, then removed the batteries. The lenses were both L-series and didn't seem to have any water get inside at all. The flashes and the cameras I wasn't sure about. So I let things dry for a day or more and helped it along with a hair dryer on low heat. Everything lived and still works today. No problems.

I would guess that 5DC/II probably have one advantage over the XXD series and perhaps even the 7D, where I think the built-in flash might make for a potential weak point where water can get in.

I carry a cheap plastic poncho in my backpack at all times now. I try to have a plastic garbage bag or two, also. I'll be ready for the next time I'm caught out in a storm.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote