Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #1
Full-Frame

Default 5D Mark II - AF-ON button?

I'm thinking of swapping my 5D (MK 1) for a 5D Mark II and have been doing some reading re the AF-ON button.

I have my current 5D set so that the AE-Lock button performs autofocusing and pressing the shutter halfway triggers AE-Lock. Looking at the options available in CFn on the Mark II, I can have pretty much the same behaviour with option 3 selected.

My question is... What will the AE-Lock (*) button do
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #2
Full-Frame

Default Re: 5D Mark II - AF-ON button?

I really don't see the point of option 2 (Metering start/Metering + AF start). With this mode, if I wanted to attain exposure lock and autofocus at different times, I would have to be able to hold both the AF-ON and the AE-Lock buttons at the same time with my thumb!?!?
Old 15th of February 2011 (Tue)   #3
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

No, AE lock lasts for a while, so you don't have to keep that button pressed. Besides, as long as you operate the AF-ON or trigger half-press, AE lock lasts for ever.
Old 16th of February 2011 (Wed)   #4
LeeRatters
Goldmember

i have started using option 3 [<< i think] AFlock on the AF-ON button & AELock on the shutter button.

WANTED YASHICA 50mm f/1.4
LeeRatters is offline   Reply With Quote