Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Guest
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

 
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 18 Feb 2011 (Friday) 09:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gimp vs. Photoshop 6.0 vs. Lightroom

 
SkateSoft
Senior Member
383 posts
Joined Jan 2011
     
Feb 18, 2011 09:37 |  #1

I have photoshop 6.0 (from 2000), GIMP, and Lightroom (trial but will be getting it). When shooting RAW can I use lightroom as a stand alone editor or should I double it with 6.0 or GIMP. Then for my JPEGs should I use 6.0 or Gimp.


Gear- 550d, KONICA Auto S2, Pentak ZX-50, 18-55, 55-250, YN-560
http://www.dylanredfie​ldphotography.com (external link)

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
Avatar
13,407 posts
Likes: 170
Joined Apr 2005
Location: Gesher Haziv, Israel
     
Feb 18, 2011 12:15 |  #2

Many, maybe the majority, say that LR is enough for all of their editing in 90% of their RAWs. For the other 10% it would probably be the sort of follow-up that can be done perfectly well in 8 bit in PS6. For jpgs, since they are already 8 bit, PS6 would be good or you might find LR to be easier.


Elie / אלי

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
SkateSoft
THREAD ­ STARTER
Senior Member
383 posts
Joined Jan 2011
     
Feb 18, 2011 16:31 |  #3

So there is no need to use gimp?


Gear- 550d, KONICA Auto S2, Pentak ZX-50, 18-55, 55-250, YN-560
http://www.dylanredfie​ldphotography.com (external link)

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
tonylong
...winded
Avatar
54,640 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Likes: 520
Joined Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
     
Feb 18, 2011 17:01 |  #4

SkateSoft wrote in post #11869585 (external link)
So there is no need to use gimp?

Well, the question is does Gimp provide capabilities that PS6 lacks? I don't use Gimp so can't give an answer there, so others would have to address that.

But, Gimp is free, so there's nothing wrong with installing it and learning to use it. Since you have PS6, you can make your own comparison. And, as has been mentioned, Lightroom can do most everything that you need and, if you shoot Raw or plan to shoot Raw LR has the top-of-the-line Raw processor that is used in the latest version of Photoshop so you are good there.


Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

  
  LOG IN TO REPLY
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

4,211 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gimp vs. Photoshop 6.0 vs. Lightroom
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
x 1600
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!


COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.


POWERED BY AMASS forum software 2.1forum software
version 2.1 /
code and design
by Pekka Saarinen ©
for photography-on-the.net

Latest registered member is livingHi
782 guests, 294 members online
Simultaneous users record so far is 6430, that happened on Dec 03, 2017

Photography-on-the.net Digital Photography Forums is the website for photographers and all who love great photos, camera and post processing techniques, gear talk, discussion and sharing. Professionals, hobbyists, newbies and those who don't even own a camera -- all are welcome regardless of skill, favourite brand, gear, gender or age. Registering and usage is free.