Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of February 2011 (Fri)   #1
SkateSoft

Default Gimp vs. Photoshop 6.0 vs. Lightroom

I have photoshop 6.0 (from 2000), GIMP, and Lightroom (trial but will be getting it). When shooting RAW can I use lightroom as a stand alone editor or should I double it with 6.0 or GIMP. Then for my JPEGs should I use 6.0 or Gimp.
SkateSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of February 2011 (Fri)   #2
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Default Re: Gimp vs. Photoshop 6.0 vs. Lightroom

Many, maybe the majority, say that LR is enough for all of their editing in 90% of their RAWs. For the other 10% it would probably be the sort of follow-up that can be done perfectly well in 8 bit in PS6. For jpgs, since they are already 8 bit, PS6 would be good or you might find LR to be easier.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of February 2011 (Fri)   #3
SkateSoft

So there is no need to use gimp?
SkateSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of February 2011 (Fri)   #4
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkateSoft View Post
So there is no need to use gimp?
Well, the question is does Gimp provide capabilities that PS6 lacks? I don't use Gimp so can't give an answer there, so others would have to address that.

But, Gimp is free, so there's nothing wrong with installing it and learning to use it. Since you have PS6, you can make your own comparison. And, as has been mentioned, Lightroom can do most everything that you need and, if you shoot Raw or plan to shoot Raw LR has the top-of-the-line Raw processor that is used in the latest version of Photoshop so you are good there.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote