Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #1
dsrupert

Default Memory for T3i?

I'm pre-ordering my first DSLR the T3i, what kind of memory card should I get? I can get the Sandisk or Transcend, which is sufficient enough?
dsrupert is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #2
rxjohn

Default Re: Memory for T3i?

If you plan to shoot video, you'll want to get the minimum recommended class memory card. I believe 550D recommends at least class 6.

This is important because of the speed at which it can write on the card. If the card can't process at adequate speed, the processing buffer will get loaded and automatically shut off the recording.

That being said, I use 16GB class 10 Transcend with no issues. It provides about 40 minutes of HD video recording.
rxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #3
kenshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxjohn View Post
If you plan to shoot video, you'll want to get the minimum recommended class memory card. I believe 550D recommends at least class 6.

This is important because of the speed at which it can write on the card. If the card can't process at adequate speed, the processing buffer will get loaded and automatically shut off the recording.

That being said, I use 16GB class 10 Transcend with no issues. It provides about 40 minutes of HD video recording.
I have found Transcend Class 10 cars to be cost effective and reliable. I have 4 8 gig cards and have not had an issue with them. SANDISK is also recommended but is more expensive, so in my opinion unless you are doing critical work the Transcends work fine.

Last edited by kenshap : 20th of February 2011 (Sun) at 09:58.
kenshap is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #4
stevemacko

I'm not the OP, but a 60D may be in my near future... So I'll be making the switch from CF to SD. Thanks for the info, Guys!
Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #5
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember

I've used both the SandDisk and Transcend, both are sufficient, especially at class 10. Flash can go bad no matter who makes it.

I would also consider getting a backup card too.
Gregg.Siam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2011 (Sun)   #6
coffee_mon

I just got my T2i and 2 4 gig class 10 and 1 16 gig class 10 transcend and I've had nothing but great results. I don't think I will be using anything else at this moment.
coffee_mon is offline   Reply With Quote