How to properly crop in photoshop without loosing aspect ratio?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 20 Feb 2011 (Sunday) 18:01   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

boerewors
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 posts
South African living in Indonesia
[MORE/SHARE]

Im going crazy here. I want to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio when cropping but my brain cant figure it out.
The only way i can do it is by typing 4 & 3 in the boxes to which photoshop then resamples my image to 4 x 3 cm and then i have to resize it. Can someone please tell me how to do this before i go all nuclear on myself. Im using photoshop CS5

Post #1, Feb 20, 2011 18:01:33

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
krb
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
8,818 posts
Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together
[MORE/SHARE]

I normally just enter 4 and 3 in the boxes like you say. What you need to rememeber is that it does NOT resample the image unless you enter a value in the 3rd box for resolution.

Post #2, Feb 20, 2011 18:05:38

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickrexternal link
Gear list

Marcus ­ X
Joined Dec 2010
35 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

boerewors wrote in post #11880803external link
Im going crazy here. I want to maintain the 4:3 aspect ratio when cropping but my brain cant figure it out.
The only way i can do it is by typing 4 & 3 in the boxes to which photoshop then resamples my image to 4 x 3 cm and then i have to resize it. Can someone please tell me how to do this before i go all nuclear on myself. Im using photoshop CS5

I only know of one way. Select the crop tool, leave all the boxes for dimensions and resolutions empty, and then select the entire image. Now, with the entire image selected, hold the shift key, grab one of the corners and drag it to crop. If you don't select the entire image first, holding shift will lock you into a square crop.

Post #3, Feb 20, 2011 18:51:15

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
Joined Dec 2006
5,566 posts
New Mexico, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Select the entire image, then while holding down the Shift key, resize the crop area.

Post #4, Feb 20, 2011 18:54:22 as a reply to krb's post 48 minutes earlier.

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=10864029#post10​864029

Damo77
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
4,113 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Why are you cropping to the 4:3 ratio?

Post #5, Feb 20, 2011 20:07:49

Damien
Websiteexternal link | Blogexternal link | Groupexternal link

sponsored links
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Damo77 wrote in post #11881567external link
Why are you cropping to the 4:3 ratio?

Yeah, if you are doing this to a DSLR image the original aspect ratio is 2:3 not 4:3. This could confuse you if you enter 4 and 3 in the dimensions box and see your image being cropped off at the wider end!

Like was said, don't enter a resolution number or you can end up resampling the image. Or, like was said, hold down Shift as you drag the crop rectangle and it should keep the originsl aspect ratio or whichever one you choose to enter.

Post #6, Feb 20, 2011 20:24:56

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cool you guys are great, it works now and i even learnt in the process that i was using the wrong ratio. This forum rocks!!

Post #7, Feb 20, 2011 20:39:44

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

Damo77
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
4,113 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

No, you're missing the point. Why are you cropping to any ratio at all?

You should only crop when you have specific reason to do so - eg printing. And only a handful of standard print sizes are 2:3, and even less 3:4.

Post #8, Feb 20, 2011 20:43:46

Damien

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I just want to keep the original aspect of the camera thats all.

Post #9, Feb 21, 2011 00:30:44

elogical
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
1,217 posts
St Paul, Minnesota
[MORE/SHARE]

boerewors wrote in post #11882784external link

I tried doing that for a while but then I figured it's kind of over-rated if I'm not going to be printing the vast majority of the images anyway, now I just crop to the strongest composition if all I'm gonna be doing is viewing it digitally.

Glad you figured it out though, it's very good to know and good to be aware of, whichever you choose to stick to.

Post #10, Feb 21, 2011 01:06:14

Gear

Damo77
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
4,113 posts
Brisbane, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

boerewors wrote in post #11882784external link

Yes, but why?

I'm asking because I want you to thoroughly analyse your own workflow. Is cropping really the best thing to do? Have you considered the 8x10 problemexternal link which occurs from careless cropping?

Post #11, Feb 21, 2011 01:06:47

Damien

sponsored links
boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
1,942 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have noted what you guys have said and will take it to mind when processing in future. I am a beginner photographer. Just got my camera today so i still need to run in with all these issues. Im just so over the moon that i have learnt one thing for today that has been bugging me for months.

Post #12, Feb 21, 2011 01:19:05

BrandonSi
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2004
4,869 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

boerewors wrote in post #11882990external link
I have noted what you guys have said and will take it to mind when processing in future. I am a beginner photographer. Just got my camera today so i still need to run in with all these issues. Im just so over the moon that i have learnt one thing for today that has been bugging me for months.

It's not too complicated, some people just make it that way.

Unless you're going to print, crop to whatever size / ratio you'd prefer.

If you plan on the image being printed, then crop to the appropriate ratio for the print size. 8x10 is obviously 4:5 ratio. 20x30 is 2:3. Clearly you can't provide the same image in every ratio without using borders, or re-cropping, so either provide prints only in sizes you're satisfied with or just accept the fact that in order to make every common print size, you're going to have to produce some strangely / poorly composed images.

Some online services (SmugMug, for example) will allow clients to perform the crop themselves, which I find very nice, since I'll get a sale, and the client can see what the crop is going to cause their final print to look like.

Post #13, Feb 21, 2011 12:48:13

[ wwwexternal link·flickrexternal link]

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
6,139 posts
Where ever I lay my hat is my home
[MORE/SHARE]

Good info

Post #14, Sep 25, 2011 20:43:54

Li'l bit of this, Li'l bit of that
MethodicalImagesexternal link
Flickrexternal link
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

cagenuts
Joined Mar 2011
860 posts
Johannesburg, South Africa
[MORE/SHARE]

Methodical wrote in post #13162117external link
Good info

+1 Indeed so!

Post #15, Sep 25, 2011 23:58:31

...Ask me anything, I'm an ultracrepidarian.
Hilton

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,325 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to properly crop in photoshop without loosing aspect ratio?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES