Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #1
boerewors

Default How do you make strobe trigger using 60D?

So i am a newbie at this and the place i bought my soft box from said that the 60D can trigger it, but i have no idea how?
what mode must the camera be on? And is there any setting i should know about? I understand that i would loose ETTL function but thats about all i know. Would apreciate a little help here thanks.
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #2
TopHatMoments

Default Re: How do you make strobe trigger using 60D?

Do your strobes have optical slaves? If so your 430 will set them off. Study manual flash in the flash manual.

Point you 430 at one of the optical slaves strobes or bounce it. Set the 430 as low as it will go ( power wise ) and give it a try.
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #3
boerewors

Ya i dont know. All i know is that they trigger with any form of a flash. I dont see any form of optical sensor and wouldnt even know where to start looking for it. There is a sync socket on them but i dont use it. the problem i have rite now is that they trigger if the camera decides to use the pop up to assist AF. I can still take a picture if i just wait for the strobes to recharge before pressing the shutter fully down as long as i have the built in flash set to manually fire at each shot. As for the 430EX, i havent started learning how to use it yet. I got all my equipment in one blow and im a newbie so i can only discover one thing at a time. I did test it once and i noticed it uses a red light to assist AF. That could probably solve the unesessary triggering. Sometimes the resulting images i take are dark but the strobes did fire, but thats only around 10% of the time.

Last edited by boerewors : 23rd of February 2011 (Wed) at 10:41.
boerewors is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #4
TopHatMoments

http://super.nova.org/DPR/#TOC

^ something to scroll through.

In time it will all make since.
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #5
PacAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerewors View Post
Ya i dont know. All i know is that they trigger with any form of a flash. I dont see any form of optical sensor and wouldnt even know where to start looking for it. There is a sync socket on them but i dont use it. the problem i have rite now is that they trigger if the camera decides to use the pop up to assist AF. I can still take a picture if i just wait for the strobes to recharge before pressing the shutter fully down as long as i have the built in flash set to manually fire at each shot. As for the 430EX, i havent started learning how to use it yet. I got all my equipment in one blow and im a newbie so i can only discover one thing at a time. I did test it once and i noticed it uses a red light to assist AF. That could probably solve the unesessary triggering. Sometimes the resulting images i take are dark but the strobes did fire, but thats only around 10% of the time.
OK, then your strobe does have an optical trigger. That's good. Your 60D has a built-in flash that can be set to manual mode. Your manual will tell you how to use the built-in flash in manual mode. Set the flash power level low enough so that it doesn't affect your exposure if you don't want it to, but is still high enough to set off your strobe. And, of course, as was mentioned above, you can also use your 430EX, also in manual mode, mounted in the hotshoe to also trigger your strobe.
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #6
trevorus

If you are talking about wireless slave mode, you have to use the built-in flash (as in popped up and ready to go), and then go to flash settings, turn wireless control on, and set the channel to match that of the 430, and you should be good. My Sigma flash does this, and it's quite useful. I just hope if Canon upgrades the firmware, they can allow you to use only the wireless function, and not the the built-in. Set low, it doesn't effect too much, but it can still wash things out a bit. Using FEL can help a lot, though.

Canon 60D, Canon 1D MkII, EFS IS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 50mm 1.8 II, EFS 18-135 f/3.5-5.6, Sunpak 333 flash, Sigma EF530 DG Super, Manfrotto 479 monopod, 498RC2 ball head, 055Pro tripod
trevorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #7
dedsen
Goldmember

trevorus, the popup is the wireless transmitter on the 60d. No amount of software work is ever going to change that. It uses light not radio frequency.
The OP has 2x500w strobes so I doubt he is asking about the Canon Master/Slave settings anyway.

dedsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #8
trevorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsen View Post
trevorus, the popup is the wireless transmitter on the 60d. No amount of software work is ever going to change that. It uses light not radio frequency.
The OP has 2x500w strobes so I doubt he is asking about the Canon Master/Slave settings anyway.
Well, dang, I thought they had advanced to the point of actual radio poppers. Silly me. Thanks for the clarification!

Canon 60D, Canon 1D MkII, EFS IS 18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 50mm 1.8 II, EFS 18-135 f/3.5-5.6, Sunpak 333 flash, Sigma EF530 DG Super, Manfrotto 479 monopod, 498RC2 ball head, 055Pro tripod
trevorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #9
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Does the 60D have a flash sync port?

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #10
PacAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogestee View Post
Does the 60D have a flash sync port?
No, it doesn't.
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #11
yogestee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce View Post
No, it doesn't.

Another useful feature omitted from the 60D.

Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #12
boerewors

So what are the sync sockets on the strobes for? I guess pocket wizards? Thats going a bit advanced for me and my pocket (pun not intended).
Old 23rd of February 2011 (Wed)   #13
yogestee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boerewors View Post
So what are the sync sockets on the strobes for? I guess pocket wizards? Thats going a bit advanced for me and my pocket (pun not intended).

Originally to connect the camera via a cable to fire studio flashes and hammerhead flashes..

Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #14
chrizramiscal

those sync ports can also connect to inexpensive triggering systems such as cactus v5 and and rf-603 etc. as long as you have the proper sync cables with them.