Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 06:08
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ThinkTank Photo Sling-O-Matic 30 ~ Bag review

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Feb 24, 2011 06:08 |  #1

I've had my ThinkTank Photo Sling-O-Matic 30 for a week now and thought I'd post a quick review. This is my first review, so please bear with me.

First impressions

This is my first TTP bag, to date I have bought and used Lowepro (a Slingshot 200, a Vertex 200 and a Classified 200). I want a bag that is international carry-on compatible, is unobtrusive and suited to urban shooting, and is confortable for day long use.
The bag is great, and full of high quality small touches. It’s a little ‘boxy’ in design, but I found this was actually better for getting more equipment in. It’s well made, with quality metal connectors for the sling strap, excellent zips, and plenty of handles (top, side and bottom – whichever way this bag ends up, grabbing it won’t be an issue). It comes with a bag of addition dividers, a set of plenty of dividers already situated in the bag, a rain cover, and a set of removable straps. One set of straps allows you to anchor the bag across the chest, the other creating a waist strap. These attach to the bag with nice high grade plastic ‘hooks’ that have metal gates. They are very comfortable. The other straps that come with it allow you to strap a tripod to the side of the bag.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

The main sling strap is large, well-padded and very comfortable. I find it MUCH more comfortable than the Lowepro bags. It also has the unique ability to ‘switch shoulders’. This is simple (slide the top of the sling to the other side, and move the bottom over), and the compartment remains ‘correct’ to allow access to gear.

Loading up

It takes a TON of gear – I was actually amazed. I got the following in there, without forcing anything:

• Gripped 5D2 with 24-105 F4 IS with hood
• 70-200 f2.8L IS II with hood
• 100mm f2.8L Macro IS with hood
• 580EXII and 430EXII
• Joby Gorillapod Magnetic
• Crumpler Camera strap
• MacBook Air 11”
• iPad
• Business cards, cleaning cloth and CF cards in the pocket under the access lid
• Sto Fen diffusers for both flash guns
• A TTP cable management 10 (not included with the SOM 30) which had 8 AA eneloops, 2 x PW Flex TT5, 1 x PW Mini TT1, carabineers, cables etc

I could also get my 85 f1.2L in there as well (put this on the camera, and put the 24-105 on top of the camera position – don’t worry about kit hitting kit though, as four of the dividers have hinged ‘lids’ that allow you to place kit on top).

Notwithstanding that I would struggle to get all the kit in any of my other bags except the Vertex, I found the SOM more comfortable than a lesser loaded Classified (my previous ‘go to’ bag). The weight is well distributed over the shoulder by the large pad. I started with my 70-200 at the bottom of the bag – the idea being to keep the heaviest item at the bottom – but found access a little annoying due to the zip lip. Moving the lens sorted the access challenge, and didn’t upset the weight distribution!

Here is the lower level configuration:

Here is the CM10, strap, diffusers, tripod and flash on the ‘upper’ level. With the 85 f1.2 on I’d put the CM10 where the 430EXII is, put the 24-105 running up to the diffusers, and the 430 next to the 24-105.

Computers

With the above kit in the bag, and it closed up, I put my MacBook Air 11” in the dedicated laptop compartment. No problems at all and felt padded and secure. The pocket would easily hold up to a 15” laptop.

I then put my iPad into the ‘front’ pocket (there are two of these, one on either side of the bag so that you always have one available whichever shoulder you carry the bag on). Again, no problems whatsoever with fit.

A final picture - with all the camera gear in, the Mac and the iPad.

Conclusions

I love this bag. The quality is excellent. It feels robust, solid and is well designed. It has been well thought out, and finished with care and attention (for example, at the end of the sling strap there is velcro so you can tidy up the excess strapping and keep it out of the way). It carries a TON of gear – more than I would have thought possible. It’s comfortable. Very comfortable.

Would I change anything? The pocket under the lid is useful, although I (personally) would prefer a little more structure in this pocket. I like the Lowepro approach of dedicated pockets for CF cards etc. But that’s it. Seriously.

I’d recommend this bag in a heartbeat. And, worryingly, I have started spending more time on the TTP website ‘just browsing’. My wife has hidden my wallet, and if anyone wants to buy a couple of excellent condition Lowepro bags…

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Feb 24, 2011 06:13 |  #2

how sore is your shoulder with all that gear in it?

(watch the video on the bottom of this:
http://www.benjacobsen​photo.com ...ing-o-matic-video-review/external link
to see why I'm asking ;))

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Feb 24, 2011 06:19 |  #3

Ben - I looked at your video reviews before going for this bag. My new love of TTP is partly your fault!

No doubt the bag is heavy. But it a lot more comfortable than my other options, plus the ability to switch shoulder makes the load mangeable.

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

master_james
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sweden
Feb 24, 2011 08:08 |  #4

Nice review!
Have a question regarding body + 70-200.
Would it be possible to fit body with 70-200 mounted (hood reversed) without placing camera in other position? Would like to position the camera like you've done with your 5d and 24-105?

//Jesper

5D Mark II | | EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | ThinkTank UD40 |

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Feb 24, 2011 08:25 |  #5

master_james wrote in post #11904563external link
Would it be possible to fit body with 70-200 mounted (hood reversed) without placing camera in other position? Would like to position the camera like you've done with your 5d and 24-105?

Fraid not Jepser - the lid won't close. The 70-200 mounted on the 5d2 is just a little too deep. It does of course fit the other way, and the bag comes with some inserts showing this.

master_james
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Sweden
Feb 24, 2011 09:00 |  #6

Ok, thanks for the info!
Guess I could live with it (placing camera the other way), but it would be nice to have the possibility to have two cameras ready for action, one with 24-70 and another with 70-200.

Is there any photos showing the bag on your back? Would be nice to see it in action.

//Jesper

5D Mark II | | EF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS | ThinkTank UD40 |

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,072 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Northern VA
Feb 24, 2011 09:41 |  #7

Thanks for the review. Looks like a great bag. I can't imagine carrying it around all day, but I have bags with wheels or servants who carry my gear for me (I have 2 sons).

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2010
Chicago
Feb 24, 2011 09:45 |  #8

I tried a 20 and it is a great bag, the only reason I did not keep it is I never lug around that much gear but as with most TT products its very well designed.

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Canon 5DII • 7DII • G15 • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 24-70L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 1.4x • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Feb 24, 2011 13:23 |  #9

If I had that bag, I'd be doing a whole bunch of shoulder switching. A bag does not have to be filled up just because it affords a lot of space. A little airspace is okay.

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Feb 26, 2011 01:58 |  #10

Here's one for you Savas! ;)

IMAGE: http://www.richbaileyphotography.com/photos/SOM30%20(11).jpg

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Feb 26, 2011 07:52 |  #11

I want that bag! :)

Though my S90 should fit okay, no?

Cam101
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Calgary, AB
Mar 05, 2011 12:32 |  #12

I picked up the Sling-O-matic 10 this week. Love the design of the bag, and I can actually fit my 70-200, a lens and a 5D MkII with prime or small zoom attached.

I figure with a sling, I wouldn't want to carry much more than that really and even then, the 70-200 would probably stay at home. I see the ling as more of a quick on the go type of thing, not a haul everything I have with me bag. I use backpacks for that kind of stuff.

Also, due to the narrow size of the 10, a small tripod can be attached to the side and it becomes roughly the same width as the 20.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was really considering all three TT Slings before finally settling on the 10.

Canon 5D MkIV | 600EX-RT
Canon Lenses: 16-35 f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS | 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS II | 100mm f/2.8L Macro | MP-E 65mm Macro
Gitzo GT3541LS w/ RRS BH55

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Mar 05, 2011 19:51 as a reply to Cam101's post |  #13

DarthSparky wrote in post #11904194external link
Ben - I looked at your video reviews before going for this bag. My new love of TTP is partly your fault!

:lol:

seriously consider the shoulder strap conversion. I LOVE mine and haven't regretted or missed the normal strap for a second...

DarthSparky wrote in post #11904614external link
Fraid not Jepser - the lid won't close. The 70-200 mounted on the 5d2 is just a little too deep. It does of course fit the other way, and the bag comes with some inserts showing this.

with my 100-400 (basically the same size, no?) it'd fit, but I had to make damn sure the lid/flap was empty to get it to zip?

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
Mar 07, 2011 15:46 |  #14

jacobsen1 wrote in post #11963285external link
with my 100-400 (basically the same size, no?) it'd fit, but I had to make damn sure the lid/flap was empty to get it to zip?

You'd have to really force it to fit in mine (although I did have some stuff in the lid). I wouldn't feel happy doing this to be honest.

alintx
348 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Austin, Texas
Dec 01, 2012 21:02 |  #15

So, this might be an old thread, but one of the few that talks about the TT sling-o-matics.

I bought the Sling-o-Matic 10 specifically to carry my Bigma (Sigma 50-500). It fits attached to my 5D3, and leaves enough room for a few small bags of stuff. I am astonished at the attention to detail and the quality of the bag, and I have a LOT of bags to compare it to.

For reference, I hate hate hate carrying anything on or near my neck (won't even wear necklaces or turtlenecks). This sling is so well-designed that the padded strap doesn't bother me at all.

Anyone that doesn't yet know about TT quality . . . this company makes really really well-designed bags.

Al
5DIII, 5DII, T2i, TS-E 24mm f3.5L II, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70mm f2.8L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L II, 135mm f/2L, 180mm f/3.5L, Canon 40mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-500 OS, 3 x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, RRS tripod + BH-55, bags out the wazoo, other crap +++
Aerial Photography (external link)

sponsored links

6,396 views & 0 likes for this thread
ThinkTank Photo Sling-O-Matic 30 ~ Bag review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.