FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 24 Feb 2011 (Thursday) 12:52   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mzondeki
Joined Oct 2008
675 posts
Los Gatos, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyone heard of this tripod ? Well, I should have posted earlier, though I don't regret it.

I got it from e-Bay C2540 + LX3 Ball head. Pleasantly surprised by the quality for price ($225). LX3 ballhead and controls looks strikingly similar to Markins-Q3T with a red paint, even the circle & triangle mark on panning scale !!.

On tripod, the screws have "Triopo" written on it. This tripod resembles very similar to Benro Travel Angel Series. Wondering if all these "Benro", "Triopo", "HorusBennu" are same product under different name.

BTW: I have no affiliation with this company or so.

Post #1, Feb 24, 2011 12:52:17

5Dc, Nex5N, A7 + Contax Zeiss [28/2.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, 135/2.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/53182994@N06/external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
photograma
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
1,045 posts
NW Montana
[MORE/SHARE]

mzondeki wrote in post #11906209external link
Anyone heard of this tripod ? Well, I should have posted earlier, though I don't regret it.

I got it from e-Bay C2540 + LX3 Ball head. Pleasantly surprised by the quality for price ($225). LX3 ballhead and controls looks strikingly similar to Markins-Q3T with a red paint, even the circle & triangle mark on panning scale !!.

On tripod, the screws have "Triopo" written on it. This tripod resembles very similar to Benro Travel Angel Series. Wondering if all these "Benro", "Triopo", "HorusBennu" are same product under different name.

BTW: I have no affiliation with this company or so.

Let us know how you like it, i ordered that one too :)

Post #2, Feb 24, 2011 16:10:35

AKA Dian

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

From the FM forum: Horusbennu - Korean marketing firm, all products sourced in China.

Post #3, Feb 24, 2011 17:25:01

~Peter

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

peter_n wrote in post #11907677external link
From the FM forum: Horusbennu - Korean marketing firm, all products sourced in China.

Funny... Markins are made in Korea... I see a connection...

EDIT: OP give us a review on the product!

Post #4, Feb 24, 2011 18:16:28

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #11908021external link
Funny... Markins are made in Korea... I see a connection...

Not necessarily. Markins is a design/engineering/man​ufacturing company and their products are made in S. Korea. Horusbennu is a marketing company that puts its name on products made by an OEM in China. Very different.

Post #5, Feb 24, 2011 19:53:34

~Peter

sponsored links
themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

peter_n wrote in post #11908607external link
Not necessarily. Markins is a design/engineering/man​ufacturing company and their products are made in S. Korea. Horusbennu is a marketing company that puts its name on products made by an OEM in China. Very different.

I am not sure where you are getting your information, care to link me? From what I have read Horusbennu designs and assembles their stuff in Korea, only manufacturing is done in China.

Just to clarify, are you stating Markins is NOT a Korean company?

Post #6, Feb 24, 2011 20:30:15

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

Info is from a "tripod sources" thread on the FM forum. Sorry to be opaque but the difference is Markins does everything in S. Korea and yes it's a S. Korean company, Horusbennu is also a S. Korean company but sources from China as I said in my first post. AFAIK they're two completely different companies, but of course there is a connection in that both are based in the same country.

Post #7, Feb 25, 2011 10:47:10

~Peter

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

I have gotten plenty good products from China so I am not really worried about products being manufactured there as long as there is proper quality control and inspection. Regardless, I am interested in a review of these products.

Post #8, Feb 25, 2011 12:54:44

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,176 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #11912839external link
I have gotten plenty good products from China so I am not really worried about products being manufactured there as long as there is proper quality control and inspection.

Me too. More arriving today! :)

Post #9, Feb 25, 2011 14:20:47

~Peter

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
2,762 posts
Ventura, California
[MORE/SHARE]

"The package box comes in white-gray color."

Sold!

Seriously, let us know how you like it. I'm still within the return period on my current setup and this would save me over $100.

Post #10, Feb 25, 2011 19:04:32 as a reply to peter_n's post 4 hours earlier.

For Sale: Canon 7D with Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm, 580EX.

GeeMack
Joined Sep 2007
654 posts
Raleigh, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Any updates on this tripod? Found this but looking for more input.
http://www.dgrin.com/s​howthread.php?t=176088external link

Post #11, Mar 20, 2011 08:58:26

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.comexternal link

sponsored links
douflag
Joined Feb 2006
421 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, I would like to know about this tripod as well. I wonder how it compares to the benro travel angel carbon fiber series. It seems that the Benros are more compact (when folded) than this model, but I see different measurements for it. Some places cite 16", some 13", and some 14". I don't know what to believe.

Post #12, Apr 03, 2011 13:37:17

FS: Nothing for now.

woos
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2008
2,177 posts
a giant bucket
[MORE/SHARE]

They are great, lol. I have the c-1540T (which is the traveler one). Imho it's as good as the Gitzo equivalent--only even lighter. :) Also have the c-3540T, which imho is also as good as the Gitzo 3-series equiv--not "as good for the price"--but AS GOOD as the Gitzo products. I like it better than any Benro/Induro/Fancier/F​eisol/whatever stuff I've ever seen. From what I can tell, it's basically like buying a twin of the Gitzo stuff with a slightly different color, lol. Haven't tried the C-25xx series stuff (that looks like more of a manfrotto type one, with the flip locks instead of twist.)

I bought an e-bay carbon fiber tripod once, it was awful (Fancier or Feisol brand I forget)...it was just awful, the metal was easily chipped, the center column had play to it, all that. I ended up taking it apart and using the legs for walking sticks. I was brave and tried e-bay again and found the Horus stuff. Glad I did. The downside might be trying to get support if something ever broke.

Honestly though, i've strung a 40-some odd pound jug of water off of my c-1540T and it took it with no problems. I think the C-3540 would probably hold 100lb if you asked it too, lol. Maybe I should post a review....

From what I've seen, no one has yet became the U.S. distributor for these. Someone with some $ should jump on that.

Post #13, Apr 03, 2011 14:06:47

amanathia.zenfolio.com

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,802 views & 0 likes for this thread
Horusbennu ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES