Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #1
mzondeki

Default Horusbennu ???

Anyone heard of this tripod ? Well, I should have posted earlier, though I don't regret it.

I got it from e-Bay C2540 + LX3 Ball head. Pleasantly surprised by the quality for price ($225). LX3 ballhead and controls looks strikingly similar to Markins-Q3T with a red paint, even the circle & triangle mark on panning scale !!.

On tripod, the screws have "Triopo" written on it. This tripod resembles very similar to Benro Travel Angel Series. Wondering if all these "Benro", "Triopo", "HorusBennu" are same product under different name.

BTW: I have no affiliation with this company or so.
mzondeki is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #2
photograma

Default Re: Horusbennu ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzondeki View Post
Anyone heard of this tripod ? Well, I should have posted earlier, though I don't regret it.

I got it from e-Bay C2540 + LX3 Ball head. Pleasantly surprised by the quality for price ($225). LX3 ballhead and controls looks strikingly similar to Markins-Q3T with a red paint, even the circle & triangle mark on panning scale !!.

On tripod, the screws have "Triopo" written on it. This tripod resembles very similar to Benro Travel Angel Series. Wondering if all these "Benro", "Triopo", "HorusBennu" are same product under different name.

BTW: I have no affiliation with this company or so.

Let us know how you like it, i ordered that one too

Last edited by photograma : 24th of February 2011 (Thu) at 19:53.
photograma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #3
peter_n
Goldmember

From the FM forum: Horusbennu - Korean marketing firm, all products sourced in China.

Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #4
themadman
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
From the FM forum: Horusbennu - Korean marketing firm, all products sourced in China.
Funny... Markins are made in Korea... I see a connection...

EDIT: OP give us a review on the product!
Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #5
peter_n
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
Funny... Markins are made in Korea... I see a connection...
Not necessarily. Markins is a design/engineering/manufacturing company and their products are made in S. Korea. Horusbennu is a marketing company that puts its name on products made by an OEM in China. Very different.

Old 24th of February 2011 (Thu)   #6
themadman
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
Not necessarily. Markins is a design/engineering/manufacturing company and their products are made in S. Korea. Horusbennu is a marketing company that puts its name on products made by an OEM in China. Very different.
I am not sure where you are getting your information, care to link me? From what I have read Horusbennu designs and assembles their stuff in Korea, only manufacturing is done in China.

Just to clarify, are you stating Markins is NOT a Korean company?
Old 25th of February 2011 (Fri)   #7
peter_n
Goldmember

Info is from a "tripod sources" thread on the FM forum. Sorry to be opaque but the difference is Markins does everything in S. Korea and yes it's a S. Korean company, Horusbennu is also a S. Korean company but sources from China as I said in my first post. AFAIK they're two completely different companies, but of course there is a connection in that both are based in the same country.

Old 25th of February 2011 (Fri)   #8
themadman
Cream of the Crop

I have gotten plenty good products from China so I am not really worried about products being manufactured there as long as there is proper quality control and inspection. Regardless, I am interested in a review of these products.
Old 25th of February 2011 (Fri)   #9
peter_n
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadman View Post
I have gotten plenty good products from China so I am not really worried about products being manufactured there as long as there is proper quality control and inspection.
Me too. More arriving today!

Old 25th of February 2011 (Fri)   #10
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

"The package box comes in white-gray color."

Sold!

Seriously, let us know how you like it. I'm still within the return period on my current setup and this would save me over $100.
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #11
GeeMack

Any updates on this tripod? Found this but looking for more input.
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=176088
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #12
douflag

Yes, I would like to know about this tripod as well. I wonder how it compares to the benro travel angel carbon fiber series. It seems that the Benros are more compact (when folded) than this model, but I see different measurements for it. Some places cite 16", some 13", and some 14". I don't know what to believe.
douflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of April 2011 (Sun)   #13
woos
Goldmember

They are great, lol. I have the c-1540T (which is the traveler one). Imho it's as good as the Gitzo equivalent--only even lighter. Also have the c-3540T, which imho is also as good as the Gitzo 3-series equiv--not "as good for the price"--but AS GOOD as the Gitzo products. I like it better than any Benro/Induro/Fancier/Feisol/whatever stuff I've ever seen. From what I can tell, it's basically like buying a twin of the Gitzo stuff with a slightly different color, lol. Haven't tried the C-25xx series stuff (that looks like more of a manfrotto type one, with the flip locks instead of twist.)

I bought an e-bay carbon fiber tripod once, it was awful (Fancier or Feisol brand I forget)...it was just awful, the metal was easily chipped, the center column had play to it, all that. I ended up taking it apart and using the legs for walking sticks. I was brave and tried e-bay again and found the Horus stuff. Glad I did. The downside might be trying to get support if something ever broke.

Honestly though, i've strung a 40-some odd pound jug of water off of my c-1540T and it took it with no problems. I think the C-3540 would probably hold 100lb if you asked it too, lol. Maybe I should post a review....

From what I've seen, no one has yet became the U.S. distributor for these. Someone with some $ should jump on that.
woos is offline   Reply With Quote