Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of March 2011 (Sat)   #1
eco_bach

Default Can't open RAW .CR2 files...why?

Hi
Anyone able to shed some light on why I can't open RAW files from my 7D, while I have no problem opening RAW.CR2 files saved from my old Digital Rebel??

This is with both Photoshop CS4 and my RAW software, PhaseOne CaptureOne.
eco_bach is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of March 2011 (Sat)   #2
anscochrome

Default Re: Can't open RAW .CR2 files...why?

ACR in CS4 is too old-upgrade to CS5 or use latest DPP
Old 5th of March 2011 (Sat)   #3
bexi20

Upgrade DPP.
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #4
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

You will need Photoshop CS5. The structure of RAW files are different for each camera model whether Canon, Nikon, or whatnot.
Bill Boehme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #5
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Pulling all of the above together: each new Canon model has some degree of "revision" to the Raw file and so processors need an up-to-date version of software to handle this. Canon issues a new upgrade of their Digital Photo Professional to deal with this and the others have to do this also, but periodically at a price because they also roll out new versions of software entirely.

So, you are "stuck" with an update -- of your Raw processor, or using the free Adobe DNG converter to convert your Raw images to a DNG format that CS4 Camera Raw can process.

If you install the Canon software, Digital Photo Professional (DPP) you get a very capable Raw processor that can produce very nice Raw conversion.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #6
MGiddings Photography

DPP will give you all you need to convert for now.

Photography Blog
MGiddings Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #7
mjmackinnon

What everyone had said is true to the most part. The RAW .CR2 file is changed for each camera that is released. You can get around the opening in and older version of Photoshop buy doing the following.

Download this and convert your .CR2 files into Adobe's .DNG format that your photoshop will understand.

Now that said, the newer CS5 version of photoshop has a way better method of removing noise and processing the raw files that is worth the cost of upgrade.. but I understand where money is involved that doing it cheaper is sometimes desired.

mjmackinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #8
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmackinnon View Post
What everyone had said is true to the most part. The RAW .CR2 file is changed for each camera that is released. You can get around the opening in and older version of Photoshop buy doing the following.

Download this and convert your .CR2 files into Adobe's .DNG format that your photoshop will understand.

Now that said, the newer CS5 version of photoshop has a way better method of removing noise and processing the raw files that is worth the cost of upgrade.. but I understand where money is involved that doing it cheaper is sometimes desired.
There is one thing you might need to mention with CS5 it runs worse than CS4 -> i.e. it needs a more powerful computer for CameraRAW.
Why? Well, I had the CS5 trial over summer (OS reinstall, discs for CS in the UK) - and the sliders where slightly laggy in CameraRAW. Back in the UK and CS4 works much smoother with my 5D MK II's RAW files.
Not sure what they broke...

On that note though - I do agree with your statement regarding the noise reduction - it is very much improved over CS4, however I personally don't think the cost is worth an upgrade over CS4.
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #9
MCAsan
Goldmember

get LightRoom 3 to give you one tool to handle file management and post process raw files. From LR you can kick in Elements or PS if you need to do something on the pixel level.
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #10
JBF

NAPP has a nice little discount if you are a member. I think you can get the upgrade from your version of PS to the newest one for $169.00. Then you are set to go. Or download the DNG converter for free then open in PS.
Canon 7D, Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 24-105L f/4, Canon 35L 1.4, Canon 200L f/2.8, Canon 70-200L II IS f/2.8, Canon 300L f/2.8IS, 580ex Flash, 430ex Flash, 1.4X Converter. Bunch of other crap! I want the new 500mmL and the 200L f/2.0
JBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #11
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
... So, you are "stuck" with an update -- of your Raw processor, or using the free Adobe DNG converter to convert your Raw images to a DNG format that CS4 Camera Raw can process....
... and, even though DNG Converter is free, it also requires updating to work properly with RAW files from new camera models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetlevCM View Post
... CS5 ... needs a more powerful computer for CameraRAW ..... the sliders where slightly laggy in CameraRAW.
My computer is about five years old and there is not a great deal of difference in speed except for CA correction which is a bit slower. However, a great new feature in CS5 is automatic lens identification and correction of CA and other distortion characteristics. It might be that your computer has so many background processes running that they are hogging the processing resources -- that is a typical cause of slowness in computers as they get older and accumulate more unnecessary invisible "stuff".
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #12
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
... and, even though DNG Converter is free, it also requires updating to work properly with RAW files from new camera models.

My computer is about five years old and there is not a great deal of difference in speed except for CA correction which is a bit slower. However, a great new feature in CS5 is automatic lens identification and correction of CA and other distortion characteristics. It might be that your computer has so many background processes running that they are hogging the processing resources -- that is a typical cause of slowness in computers as they get older and accumulate more unnecessary invisible "stuff".
If you would have read my post closely you could see why your reasoning, why in principle correct, is wrong/irrelevant in my case.
I wrote I had to do a OS reinstall -> hence no junk on it.
In fact, CS4 was running on it better before my reinstall, when I had a HDD, and it runs better on my laptop ever since I removed CS5 and replaced it with CS4.

And a 2,5GHz Core2Duo with 4GB RAM (about 3GB usable) and a 160GB Intel SSD, 32Bit OS should be fast enough
(heck, there is a lot running on my computer now - and CS4 runs just fine)

So I'm not sure what was wrong - but there must have been some flaw in CameraRAW.
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #13
Bill Boehme
Enjoy being spanked

I'll take your word that you have no extraneous processes running, but reinstalling the operating system doesn't clean up anything beyond the OS itself unless you did it as a completely new installation (where the registry is wiped clean as well as the table of contents) rather than doing it as a repair installation. The CS5 version of ACR has a lot more processing going on compared to earlier versions so using the same hardware, it would be surprising if there was not a difference in speed noticed.
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #14
mastertech01
Goldmember

I just picked up Photoshop Elements 9 for 50 dollars at Staples over the holiday and it contains Camera Raw 6.3 out of the box.
mastertech01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of March 2011 (Sun)   #15
DetlevCM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
I'll take your word that you have no extraneous processes running, but reinstalling the operating system doesn't clean up anything beyond the OS itself unless you did it as a completely new installation (where the registry is wiped clean as well as the table of contents) rather than doing it as a repair installation. The CS5 version of ACR has a lot more processing going on compared to earlier versions so using the same hardware, it would be surprising if there was not a difference in speed noticed.
-> Not a repair install, but a complete reinstall of the OS - i.e. all gone.
(I broke it with Revo...)

It definitely had less running on it than I can run now with CS4 and still get a nice responsive program.

-> Repair installations are a waste of time for me - it just breaks more than it fixes on my laptop. (I can blame Sony for that -> some functions need Sony libraries...)

-> Oh, and the number of processes doesn't matter one bit, that's another nice Windows Myth. What matter is the number of ACTIVE processes - i.e. a machine with 200 processes can be just as responsive as a machine with 50 processes provided the processes are just "lying around in the RAM". They do need RAM though.

With respect to CS5 - it might do more processing, I don't know. I know that it's noise reduction is definitely improved and that it ran worse on my laptop after the OS was reinstalled.