Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 06 Mar 2011 (Sunday) 19:58
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best course/book on post processing raw...

260 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Mar 06, 2011 19:58 |  #1

So I'm trying to learn lightroom and processing raw photos. I'm not sure I have the eye or the knowledge or things like color correction/adjustments and post processing.

I can use presets and make the photos look good, but I'd like to go deeper and learn on my own..

Is there a book/course/tutorial you'd recommend?

Canon T2iexternal link | Sigma 30mm 1.4external link | Nifty 50mm 1.8external link | 55-250mmexternal link | SMC Takumar 50mm 1.4

"Amazingly attractive"
53,661 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Mar 06, 2011 20:50 |  #2

A classic is "Real World Camera Raw" (there is a CS5 version out): ...e-Photoshop/dp/032171309​5external link

Since Lightroom and Photoshop CSx share the same "Raw processing engine" the learnings would apply equally.

Three good Lightroom books are by Scott Kelby, Victoria Bampton and Martin Evening -- one or any combination of the above would be excellent additions to your library.

Then, there are two premier for-pay training sites -- and have Lightroom material.

Kelby also hosts​m which has a ton of useful stuff. And then, AdobeTv has free Lightroom tutorials.

Of course, these are all specifically Adobe Camera Raw/Lightroom-centered resources -- since that's what your are using they should all be helpful. The "bigger picture" of understanding Raw and the fundamentals of Raw processing will work themselves into these books and tutorials. As you go and have specific questions you wonder about, some combination of asking here and googling should get you plenty of info.

And then, spend time in our Raw, Post Processing and Printing sub-forum -- read the stickies and check posts because helpful topics come up there all the time:​play.php?f=18

Lastly, check out our RAW Conversion Thread for many cool and inspirational examples of what you can work with!

Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

wait/error: If you smell something three times, then it is you.
17,907 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Lehigh Valley, PA
Mar 06, 2011 21:29 |  #3

Best book I saw -- Real World Camera Raw (Ah, I see it above -- get it)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

2,637 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best course/book on post processing raw...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.