Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #1
boerewors

Default CCD vs CMOS sensors which is better?

Im a little confused about this one because both high end and entry level cameras tend to use CCD sensors but all the mid range stuff is CMOS. Why is this? If CCD is more expensive then why use them in entry level cameras like the sony A200?
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #2
stax

Default Re: CCD vs CMOS sensors which is better?

The A200 uses an APS CCD sensor. I don't think that is the same thing as CCD sensor, but I admit that this topic is a bit out of my league.
stax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #3
krb
Cream of the Crop

Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

There is no better, there is only better for certain applications.
Gear list
krb is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #4
shoturtle

CMOS has matured, in the pass cdd was the more developed system so it was better for a while. But as CMOS improved, it has pass CDD in many respects. But most apparent is low light shooting. 1600iso is max for cdd, and it was noisy at 1600. Now with CMOS you have auto iso going to 3200 and 6400 is about the same level of noise where 1600 on cdd.

At lower iso, some say cdd is still nicer in resolving light but that is very hard to tell.

CDD still rules the pns market, but the backlit cmos is starting to gain traction. So the tiny 1/2.23 sensor might actually shoot well at 800iso in the future. Anything above 400iso on those sensor were pretty noise. All that 3200iso hype was just hype with the power shots. Only ones that could shoot well pass 400 iso were the larger g and s digicams with the 1/1.63 sensors.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #5
xhack

I'm no expert on sensor technology, but the 4.1mp CCD sensor on my 1Dc has an intangible quality that is just . . . pleasing. Sharp and smooth is the best I can describe. Certainly a much more coherent image quality than the roughly contemporaneous 8mp CMOS 20D. That seems "gritty" by comparison. Of course, my 5D knocks both into a cocked hat!

Gear List
xhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #6
shoturtle

20D was early cmos, there has been couple of generations since then. Case in point the 5d cmos, and the 7d cmos are way better then the 20d.
Canon 60D, T1i/500D, Eos 1, Eos 630, and Olympus epl-1. Current Canon Lenses ef 100 2.8, ef 85 1.8, ef 50 1.4, ef 28 1.8, ef 50 1.8,ef 28-135, ef 70-300, ef-s 18-55, ef-s 55-250, 500D close up lens. Current Olympus lenses oly m4/3 14-42, oly 4/3 35mm 3.5 macro with m4/3 adapter, panasonic 45-200, panasonic 20 1.7. And a Part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #7
DetlevCM
Goldmember

-> Unless I am mistaken CCD has a higher energy consumption compared to CMOS.

At least according to Canon.
DetlevCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #8
toxic
Goldmember

CCDs overall are probably the superior technology. Scientific imaging equipment, if I'm not mistaken, all use CCD. CMOS was adopted in DSLRs because it can move the data off the sensor faster and the sensor doesn't get as hot, and for whatever reason CCD sensors simply could not compete with CMOS at high ISO settings.
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #9
Sp1207

Yep, CCD has higher IQ, and initially higher read-off rates. For some reason high-ISO never developed for CCD the way it did with Cmos. You'll find a lot of super-pro studio cams that shoot at ISO 5 still (at least up until 2 years ago) used CCD for it's colors and 'smoother' quality, as did most government/scientific cams.
Sp1207 is offline   Reply With Quote