Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #1
ChewieT

Default Microadjust for Lenses on a 7D, the right way to do it ?

Been playing around with the microadjust on my 7D and looking at the various charts that you can get online. Some you need to use at a 45 degree angle, whereas other say not to do this you must use a chart at the same focal plane as the lens. Then there are other that say, dont mess with microadjust at all just accept your lenses as they are.

Now I am not saying that there is anything wrong with my lenses, but I am pretty anal when it comes to my kit and I would just like to know that if I get a soft image, that its my incompetence rather then my equipment

So from what I have read I am thinking that the best way to microadjust is using some sort of chart in the same focal plane as the lens, at a distance of 50x the focal length. This can be done at the wide and long ends of a zoom lens but the MA might be different for each. It is usual to set it correct for the long end.

Take 3 shots on a tripod using a remote and mirror lockup at 0MA +5MA and -5MA, compare the images on a PC screen and see which is sharpest, from this deduce what the correct MA for your lens is.

Have I got anything wrong here, also when it comes to 50x the focal length do I also need to multiply this by 1.6 because of thre crop sensor.

Also at what point do you say, thats too much adjustment and decide that the lens needs calibrating. My lenses are less than 1 year old and if this is the case I would obviously want it done wthin warranty.

Thanks
Craig
Gripped Canon 7D | Gripped Canon 50D | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 135mm f/2.0L | EF 24mm f/1.4L II | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens | 2 x 580EX Mk II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 | Manfrotto ball head Midi 498RC2 | Lowepro Flipside 400AW
http://www.tuckshots.co.uk

Last edited by ChewieT : 11th of March 2011 (Fri) at 07:58.
ChewieT is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #2
ChewieT

Default Re: Microadjust for Lenses on a 7D, the right way to do it ?

Oh then theres this method too
http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ustment-tricks
Gripped Canon 7D | Gripped Canon 50D | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MkII | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 135mm f/2.0L | EF 24mm f/1.4L II | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens | 2 x 580EX Mk II | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3 | Manfrotto ball head Midi 498RC2 | Lowepro Flipside 400AW
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #3
EL_PIC
User is banned from forums

If you do it 10 times at differ FL, light, contrast levels, F stops, distances, etc ...
you will get 10 differ results.
Lenes are to work sharp out of the box.
Good Luk

MA was the brainchild of Canon Marketing when they had all those Mark III camera focus problems -
it put the burden of sloppy loppy on naive and over zealous gearheads.
If it don't work from the manufacturer send it back, get replacement, get your bucks back.

Last edited by EL_PIC : 11th of March 2011 (Fri) at 18:09.
EL_PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #4
ChewieT

I understand that, but if you have a lens with a tendency to either BF or FF in all circumstances then surely MA is worth is. Making an adjustment could bring the focus closer to where it should be for all focal lengths.
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #5
Yno

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_PIC View Post
If you do it 10 times at differ FL, light, contrast levels, F stops, distances, etc ...
you will get 10 differ results.
Lenes are to work sharp out of the box.
Good Luk
Cars work fine off the lot. I never need a tuneup.

Of my five lenses, the 70-200 2.8 IS front focused on my 40D. After I did a micro adjust on my 7D, it is perfect at all focal lengths. If MA was never needed, why would the camera manufacturers include it?
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #6
KaBlookie

I'm of the opinion that instead of using charts and all sorts of esoteric testing procedures, go out and shoot what you normally shoot. Have the camera focus on a point and see if it focuses in front of or behind what you specified. Then you just make adjustments and shoot some more.

The whole point of those charts is so you can easily quantify any adjustments that need to be made, but sometimes that highly controlled environment is so far from what you normally shoot in the real world, that it may not be worth the time/effort/money (if you buy something) and may not even help you.
Old 11th of March 2011 (Fri)   #7
TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop

I sell a $15 laminated one in my signature, but if you click that link, there is a free version you print and fold that might do the trick. It seems to work for many here.

A larger version #2 is in the works that would work for telephotos.
TeamSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of March 2011 (Sat)   #8
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewieT View Post
By far the fastest and easiest method and 100% accurate (well, as accurate as one can hope for). I use one of these test charts for the target.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote