LIST NEARBY THREADS

Salma
POTN is my life
Joined Jan 2009
3,822 posts
Bucks UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey guys.

I have a friends cousin who wants photos for her henna party. I'm not charging her, it's all free unless ofcourse she wants to have photos printed.

This isn't anything on a pro level but I do want to get into weddings and do want to conduct myself professionally even though this will be just for practice, this is the obvious way I will learn.

What questions do you wedding photographers ask your clients? What are the most vital questions?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Post #1, Mar 12, 2011 12:35:17

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitterexternal link :o

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I just get to know the couple. I don't have set questions.

Post #2, Mar 12, 2011 13:56:23

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

hard12find
Joined Sep 2006
597 posts
Pacific Northwest USA
[MORE/SHARE]

For a wedding, I always ask about the vision they have, colors, important family members, venue, among a lot of other things. Like Tim I try and take the time to know a little about the couple, how they met etc.
Jim

Post #3, Mar 12, 2011 13:59:46

20D, 10D, Fuji S-20, Mamiya C220 medium format, Sekonic L-508 meter, 2 alien bee 800's, AB remotes, Sigma 500 HS flash, 70-200 F2.8 L, Sigma 24-70 F2.8 EX DG, lots of glass, lots of stuff,8-)

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
Joined Jan 2009
3,822 posts
Bucks UK
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #12007481external link
I just get to know the couple. I don't have set questions.

That's an idea but don't you ask them if they want any specific photographs?

Post #4, Mar 12, 2011 14:00:10

I own a bunch of Canon stuff and I love taking pictures. Follow me on twitterexternal link :o

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
3,571 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

The first question I ask is the date they are getting married. If I am booked that day, I ask if I can recommend a few other photographers that they may want to check out.

Post #5, Mar 12, 2011 15:16:43

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photographyexternal link
Red Tie Photography Blogexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Salma wrote in post #12007495external link
That's an idea but don't you ask them if they want any specific photographs?

Not when I first meet them. Maybe in the few weeks before their wedding.

Post #6, Mar 12, 2011 15:46:41

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
2,281 posts
Glendale, AZ - Chico, CA - Duluth, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

In my wedding contract I have a list of questions like "Are there any family dynamics I should be aware of?" I've had a few divorced parents who do not want to be photographed together and it's of course good to know that ahead of time. I also ask what the names of the bridesmaids/groomsmen are so I can call them by name but you really don't need to know that. But all that is on the contract. When I meet clients I just ask them about them to get to know them better... where they met, who proposed and how, etc.

Post #7, Mar 12, 2011 16:33:36

My Gear List / My Blogexternal link

Salma
THREAD ­ STARTER
POTN is my life
Joined Jan 2009
3,822 posts
Bucks UK
[MORE/SHARE]

PeaceFire wrote in post #12008076external link
In my wedding contract I have a list of questions like "Are there any family dynamics I should be aware of?" I've had a few divorced parents who do not want to be photographed together and it's of course good to know that ahead of time. I also ask what the names of the bridesmaids/groomsmen are so I can call them by name but you really don't need to know that. But all that is on the contract. When I meet clients I just ask them about them to get to know them better... where they met, who proposed and how, etc.

Sounds good, thanks for that info.

What's your contract like if you don't mine me asking?

Post #8, Mar 12, 2011 17:24:02

PeaceFire
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
2,281 posts
Glendale, AZ - Chico, CA - Duluth, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

There's a whole contract thread on here, on this page I believe, that will give you some contract ideas. Mine is basically a page where I get their important info (names, address, wedding day, wedding time, location, information on the bridal party, etc.), a page to find out if a meal is provided, family dynamics, and other information I should know, and then about 3 1/2 pages of legal jargon. I also have a shot list idea I let them look over and check the ones they absolutely want so I know what shots I need to get on the day. But most of the time that doesn't get returned because they don't know.

Post #9, Mar 12, 2011 19:46:17

My Gear List / My Blogexternal link

Jardiniboy
Joined Jan 2008
508 posts
Waipahu, Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

First I would get to know the couple. Like ask how did they meet, how long they were together, hobbies stuff like that. Then I would tell them about myself, so they could get to know me a little bit.

I would then proceed to ask when and where is their wedding. Then ask other things such as the theme, if they have a specific location they want to go to after the ceremony, how much people are on their wedding party, etc.

Post #10, Mar 13, 2011 00:02:34

Gear List Flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
5,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
What questions do you ask a client?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES