Thread started 15 Mar 2011 (Tuesday) 11:04   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TeleFragger
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

ok so now that i got my YN-468 and liking it.. i wanted some way for remote shutter... so the rf-603 was it.. ordered and received yesterday...

ill post pics later of what it came with...

but breakdown..

In box
box 1
2 units with batteries installed
1 cable with straight ends on each side

box 2
1 cable with straight on one side and 90 degree end on other

Thoughts...
Opening box it looks nice.. units are what they are... plastic... but the switch seems nice to turn them on....
turned one on and lights lit up...
turned second one on.. and right light flickered rapidly.... - turns out dead batteries in the unit.... hence why they should ship batteries out of unit....

yn-468 flash locks into it nicely... unit locks into yn's flash stand nicely....
yn-468 flash locks into it nicely... unit does not lock into camera hotshoe... very wobbly... I could not expect to carry my camera around with this unit attaced and not expect to drop my flash... now since im only looking to put my camera down somewhere and use for remote shutter.... it will work for me...

now me trying to get it to work.. couldnt figure out how to get the flash to work on camera..

so i had... camera/603/flash - tried pic like book said and it didnt do anything
added cable from side of 603 to camera and still nothing....
now i am getting the wireless shutter (not sure if i was without the cable)

took flash off of camera and left cable attached.. still nothing... popped up the on camera flash... now on camera flash works and also yn-468 flashes... so it seems to be working.... remote shutter release is fine.. but how does one get a flash to operate in say.. wireless mode???

***************edited.​.
ok all working... thanks guys for your help.. was easy once you see it.. but couldnt find anything really on google to explain it..

anywho...

pics of my $35 total packaging...

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5134/5529807503_7e26bb3385_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../56197228@N05/55298​07503/]external link
RF-603external link by TeleFragger / RootBreakerexternal link, on Flickr

closer shot..
it came with a box labeled C1 that had a cable with a 90 degree on one end and straght on the other... 603's came with a double straight end...

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5212/5529809375_0613f29f85_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com .../56197228@N05/55298​09375/]external link
RF-603Closerexternal link by TeleFragger / RootBreakerexternal link, on Flickr

Post #1, Mar 15, 2011 11:04:58

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouseexternal link****RF-603 Discussion
Canon T2i-Gripped|64GB| YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8 |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Trailboy
Joined Jan 2009
471 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They need to be redesigned before they make mass market like the 602s.

Post #2, Mar 15, 2011 11:14:13

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
16,609 posts
Bay Area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

People blame high costs of PW Plus IIs but they work nice a horse. if looking for cheaper units I would stick with Alien Bees CyberSyncs.

Post #3, Mar 15, 2011 11:54:18

5dmk3, Sigma Art 35mm f1.4, 35L, 85L II, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2

dedsen
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,575 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am having trouble following what you are doing. But you do know that you cannot use the same pair of transceivers to do both shutter release AND wireless flash? You would have one unit set for a transmitter and another unit on the same channel set for a receiver and cable connected to the shutter port on the camera. You cannot have this receiver in the hotshoe. Next you need another unit on a different channel, set to transmitter and mounted in the hotshoe. The second unit/receiver on the channel with transmitter #2 is connected to the remote flash.

Post #4, Mar 15, 2011 12:57:54

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

^^ well that maybe my issue then.. i thought i could have a flash in the 603 and in the camera hotshoe...
then have the other 603 in my hand to use as a remote shutter...

so end result is stand in a picture... click remote and have wireless shutter with flash support....

so there is no way to do on camera flash with wireless shutter then??????

Post #5, Mar 15, 2011 13:39:23

Canon T2i-Gripped|64GB| YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8 |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod

sponsored links
dedsen
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,575 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well yea. If the flash is going to be on camera just disregard the part about the second transmitter/receiver set. You still do not place the receiver that you are using for shutter release in the hot shoe. It only connects to the camera remote shutter port with the proper cable. I am assuming that the RF-603's that you purchased have the shutter release cord for you T2i.

Post #6, Mar 15, 2011 13:46:38

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

dedsen wrote in post #12025291external link
Well yea. If the flash is going to be on camera just disregard the part about the second transmitter/receiver set. You still do not place the receiver that you are using for shutter release in the hot shoe. It only connects to the camera remote shutter port with the proper cable. I am assuming that the RF-603's that you purchased have the shutter release cord for you T2i.

yes i have the shutter release working fine....

but then how does one attach the flash to the camera?
so mainly.. put the camera on say a table.. put flash with cord next to it.. then go walk away and take pics? that is odd....

i was "hoping" you could just put the flash into the receiver... and into camera hotshoe... then use transmitter to take pic...with flash..

im gonna play around with this tonight...

Post #7, Mar 15, 2011 14:01:32

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

TeleFragger wrote in post #12025372external link
yes i have the shutter release working fine....

but then how does one attach the flash to the camera?
so mainly.. put the camera on say a table.. put flash with cord next to it.. then go walk away and take pics? that is odd....

i was "hoping" you could just put the flash into the receiver... and into camera hotshoe... then use transmitter to take pic...with flash..

im gonna play around with this tonight...

The receiver you are using as a shutter release doesnt have to be in the hotshoe, thats just a convenient place to store it while you have it plugged into your camera. If you wanted a shutter release and remote flashes you would need two systems (on different channels) because if you trigger the shutter release it would also trigger the flash at the same time, not in sync with the camera.

Post #8, Mar 15, 2011 14:04:49

dedsen
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,575 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess you missed the part where I said DO NOT PLACE the receiver in the hotshoe. Your flash goes there. The same receiver CANNOT be used for both flash and shutter.
So you have a transmitter in your hand. You have a receiver connected to the shutter port of the camera and any place of you choosing other then in the hotshoe, and your flash is in the hotshoe. Stand in front of the camera and press the transmitter button.

Post #9, Mar 15, 2011 14:10:27

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

dedsen wrote in post #12025422external link
I guess you missed the part where I said DO NOT PLACE the receiver in the hotshoe. Your flash goes there. The same receiver CANNOT be used for both flash and shutter.
So you have a transmitter in your hand. You have a receiver connected to the shutter port of the camera and any place of you choosing other then in the hotshoe, and your flash is in the hotshoe. Stand in front of the camera and press the transmitter button.

so now i understand you.. I can however do as im trying to do.. i just need 1 more 603...

i knew one was in my hand...
but was confused that the second just hangs off the camera via wire..... then flash sits in hot shoe.... at least this is what im reading from you...

so then the only real reason to put the receiver in the hotshoe is to have it locked in somewhere if you are NOT using a flash.. think that is what was confusing me... wow my head hurts...

so i will try this later tonight... put receiver on kitchen table connected to camera via wire... put flash in camera and i should be able to hand hold the transmitter and fire away.. wireless trigger and still get a flash..... sound right?

so the one more 603 comment came from this that i found on the web...
1).Install the transceiver on the hot shoe of the camera, which will be connected with the external socket of the shutter with the shutter cables.
2).Install the flash on the hot shoe of the transceiver, or connected with PC cable to studio flash lights.
3).Handhold the third transceiver as a remote control transmitter, press the shutter release button halfway of the transceiver to focus, press the shutter release button completely to remote shooting with flash trigger sync.

When it is used for combination of RF-603 control of cameras and flash lights, as the cameras have different reaction time, the shooting time may be small different.

Post #10, Mar 15, 2011 14:28:48

dedsen
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,575 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I see why you would be confused. I just downloaded the instruction manual for the RF-603's and what a confusing mess. They do seem to indicate you can do it with "at least" one transceiver, but honestly the translation is so bad it hardly makes sense.

Here is the problem that makes it hard to understand. There is a timing issue with this operation. First you trigger the camera which in turn does it's thing and then triggers the flash. If you try to do this at the same time with just one receiver this operation will not be in sync. I think that is what the last sentence you quoted from the manual is trying to indicate. I read that too. It is like the last statement of the manual and probably the most accurate.

Post #11, Mar 15, 2011 14:35:49

sponsored links
MinnGreenGT
Joined Jun 2006
281 posts
Lakeville, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Here... see if this doesn't help a bit!

IMAGE: http://i56.tinypic.com/do4c1y.jpg

Post #12, Mar 15, 2011 14:48:47

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 | Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

MinnGreenGT wrote in post #12025669external link
Here... see if this doesn't help a bit!

Exactly what I was trying to describe above, thank you.

Post #13, Mar 15, 2011 15:18:58

TeleFragger
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 posts
Williamstown, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

gonzogolf wrote in post #12025894external link
Exactly what I was trying to describe above, thank you.

yup thanks that helps ALOT!!!!!!!!

now how did you find that?!?!?!?1 I even hit the end of the internet... google images ran out on me!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

and yes it is working great.. now i just have to figure out something to do with the one laying on the table... would have been nicer as a passthrough on the hotshoe...
but i get it now...
pics in post 1 will be up in 2 minutes

Post #14, Mar 15, 2011 16:18:47

MinnGreenGT
Joined Jun 2006
281 posts
Lakeville, MN
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm glad that it helped out!

I didn't find it anywhere... I made it myself in PhotoShop & Illustrator! (I'm the art director & designer for a small trade show display company) :)

Post #15, Mar 15, 2011 16:49:03

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 | Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |

LIST NEARBY THREADS
11,402 views & 0 likes for this thread
RF-603's received.. but some q's
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES