Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #1
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Default RF-603's received.. but some q's

ok so now that i got my YN-468 and liking it.. i wanted some way for remote shutter... so the rf-603 was it.. ordered and received yesterday...

ill post pics later of what it came with...

but breakdown..

In box
box 1
2 units with batteries installed
1 cable with straight ends on each side

box 2
1 cable with straight on one side and 90 degree end on other

Thoughts...
Opening box it looks nice.. units are what they are... plastic... but the switch seems nice to turn them on....
turned one on and lights lit up...
turned second one on.. and right light flickered rapidly.... - turns out dead batteries in the unit.... hence why they should ship batteries out of unit....

yn-468 flash locks into it nicely... unit locks into yn's flash stand nicely....
yn-468 flash locks into it nicely... unit does not lock into camera hotshoe... very wobbly... I could not expect to carry my camera around with this unit attaced and not expect to drop my flash... now since im only looking to put my camera down somewhere and use for remote shutter.... it will work for me...

now me trying to get it to work.. couldnt figure out how to get the flash to work on camera..

so i had... camera/603/flash - tried pic like book said and it didnt do anything
added cable from side of 603 to camera and still nothing....
now i am getting the wireless shutter (not sure if i was without the cable)

took flash off of camera and left cable attached.. still nothing... popped up the on camera flash... now on camera flash works and also yn-468 flashes... so it seems to be working.... remote shutter release is fine.. but how does one get a flash to operate in say.. wireless mode

***************************edited..
ok all working... thanks guys for your help.. was easy once you see it.. but couldnt find anything really on google to explain it..

anywho...

pics of my $35 total packaging...

RF-603 by TeleFragger / RootBreaker, on Flickr

closer shot..
it came with a box labeled C1 that had a cable with a 90 degree on one end and straght on the other... 603's came with a double straight end...

RF-603Closer by TeleFragger / RootBreaker, on Flickr

Last edited by TeleFragger : 15th of March 2011 (Tue) at 16:20.
TeleFragger is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #2
Trailboy

Default Re: RF-603's received.. but some q's

They need to be redesigned before they make mass market like the 602s.
Trailboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #3
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

People blame high costs of PW Plus IIs but they work nice a horse. if looking for cheaper units I would stick with Alien Bees CyberSyncs.
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #4
dedsen
Goldmember

I am having trouble following what you are doing. But you do know that you cannot use the same pair of transceivers to do both shutter release AND wireless flash? You would have one unit set for a transmitter and another unit on the same channel set for a receiver and cable connected to the shutter port on the camera. You cannot have this receiver in the hotshoe. Next you need another unit on a different channel, set to transmitter and mounted in the hotshoe. The second unit/receiver on the channel with transmitter #2 is connected to the remote flash.

dedsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #5
TeleFragger
Goldmember

^^ well that maybe my issue then.. i thought i could have a flash in the 603 and in the camera hotshoe...
then have the other 603 in my hand to use as a remote shutter...

so end result is stand in a picture... click remote and have wireless shutter with flash support....

so there is no way to do on camera flash with wireless shutter then
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #6
dedsen
Goldmember

Well yea. If the flash is going to be on camera just disregard the part about the second transmitter/receiver set. You still do not place the receiver that you are using for shutter release in the hot shoe. It only connects to the camera remote shutter port with the proper cable. I am assuming that the RF-603's that you purchased have the shutter release cord for you T2i.

Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #7
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsen View Post
Well yea. If the flash is going to be on camera just disregard the part about the second transmitter/receiver set. You still do not place the receiver that you are using for shutter release in the hot shoe. It only connects to the camera remote shutter port with the proper cable. I am assuming that the RF-603's that you purchased have the shutter release cord for you T2i.

yes i have the shutter release working fine....

but then how does one attach the flash to the camera?
so mainly.. put the camera on say a table.. put flash with cord next to it.. then go walk away and take pics? that is odd....

i was "hoping" you could just put the flash into the receiver... and into camera hotshoe... then use transmitter to take pic...with flash..

im gonna play around with this tonight...
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #8
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeleFragger View Post
yes i have the shutter release working fine....

but then how does one attach the flash to the camera?
so mainly.. put the camera on say a table.. put flash with cord next to it.. then go walk away and take pics? that is odd....

i was "hoping" you could just put the flash into the receiver... and into camera hotshoe... then use transmitter to take pic...with flash..

im gonna play around with this tonight...
The receiver you are using as a shutter release doesnt have to be in the hotshoe, thats just a convenient place to store it while you have it plugged into your camera. If you wanted a shutter release and remote flashes you would need two systems (on different channels) because if you trigger the shutter release it would also trigger the flash at the same time, not in sync with the camera.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #9
dedsen
Goldmember

I guess you missed the part where I said DO NOT PLACE the receiver in the hotshoe. Your flash goes there. The same receiver CANNOT be used for both flash and shutter.
So you have a transmitter in your hand. You have a receiver connected to the shutter port of the camera and any place of you choosing other then in the hotshoe, and your flash is in the hotshoe. Stand in front of the camera and press the transmitter button.

Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #10
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedsen View Post
I guess you missed the part where I said DO NOT PLACE the receiver in the hotshoe. Your flash goes there. The same receiver CANNOT be used for both flash and shutter.
So you have a transmitter in your hand. You have a receiver connected to the shutter port of the camera and any place of you choosing other then in the hotshoe, and your flash is in the hotshoe. Stand in front of the camera and press the transmitter button.
so now i understand you.. I can however do as im trying to do.. i just need 1 more 603...

i knew one was in my hand...
but was confused that the second just hangs off the camera via wire..... then flash sits in hot shoe.... at least this is what im reading from you...

so then the only real reason to put the receiver in the hotshoe is to have it locked in somewhere if you are NOT using a flash.. think that is what was confusing me... wow my head hurts...

so i will try this later tonight... put receiver on kitchen table connected to camera via wire... put flash in camera and i should be able to hand hold the transmitter and fire away.. wireless trigger and still get a flash..... sound right?

so the one more 603 comment came from this that i found on the web...
1).Install the transceiver on the hot shoe of the camera, which will be connected with the external socket of the shutter with the shutter cables.
2).Install the flash on the hot shoe of the transceiver, or connected with PC cable to studio flash lights.
3).Handhold the third transceiver as a remote control transmitter, press the shutter release button halfway of the transceiver to focus, press the shutter release button completely to remote shooting with flash trigger sync.

When it is used for combination of RF-603 control of cameras and flash lights, as the cameras have different reaction time, the shooting time may be small different.
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #11
dedsen
Goldmember

I see why you would be confused. I just downloaded the instruction manual for the RF-603's and what a confusing mess. They do seem to indicate you can do it with "at least" one transceiver, but honestly the translation is so bad it hardly makes sense.

Here is the problem that makes it hard to understand. There is a timing issue with this operation. First you trigger the camera which in turn does it's thing and then triggers the flash. If you try to do this at the same time with just one receiver this operation will not be in sync. I think that is what the last sentence you quoted from the manual is trying to indicate. I read that too. It is like the last statement of the manual and probably the most accurate.

Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #12
MinnGreenGT

Here... see if this doesn't help a bit!

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 |Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |
MinnGreenGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #13
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnGreenGT View Post
Here... see if this doesn't help a bit!
Exactly what I was trying to describe above, thank you.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #14
TeleFragger
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
Exactly what I was trying to describe above, thank you.
yup thanks that helps ALOT!!!!!!!!

now how did you find that?!?!?!?1 I even hit the end of the internet... google images ran out on me!!!!!!!!!!!!

and yes it is working great.. now i just have to figure out something to do with the one laying on the table... would have been nicer as a passthrough on the hotshoe...
but i get it now...
pics in post 1 will be up in 2 minutes
Old 15th of March 2011 (Tue)   #15
MinnGreenGT

I'm glad that it helped out!

I didn't find it anywhere... I made it myself in PhotoShop & Illustrator! (I'm the art director & designer for a small trade show display company)

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 |Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |
MinnGreenGT is offline   Reply With Quote