Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of September 2005 (Tue)   #1
wibbly

Default Canon service at Elstree, UK

I think I may have to send all my lenses and 20D body to them for calibration - but the issue I have is marginal (variable levels of front focusing).

Anyone had bad experiences with Canon service in the UK specifically on this kind of issue? Not that I have much choice. I tried Fixation, and they said they can't deal with the kind of problem I have...

W
wibbly is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of September 2005 (Tue)   #2
hammerman660

Default Re: Canon service at Elstree, UK

I'm a member of CPS, so on the odd occasion I have had to put my kit in for repair it's been turned around in days. However, they have never got to the bottom of the problem I have with my 1d and it over exposing occasionally in 8fps. They did supply a loan 1d while they worked on it, but that is a CPS benefit and not one they guarantee.

They did however fix my 10d, and calibrate the lens I sent in, a friend also just got has 10d back after a mirror issue, and says it now works better than when he first used it. I guess it all depends on how bad the issue is and how heavily you use your kit.

All my kit currently needs servicing, but I have been holding back sending it in, as I have not been able to - A) find the time and B) fully identify which part of my set up is to blame for the occasional image that is way off focus (back focus)
hammerman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of September 2005 (Tue)   #3
Radioham

Have a look http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=101456
EF17-40 F4 L
EF 200mm 2.8 L II USM
EF 2 x MkII
Speedlite 550EX
TOKINA 28-200 F3.5-5.6
Kenko Extension Tubes
PHOTOSHOP CS 2
Radioham is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of September 2005 (Tue)   #4
KennyG
Goldmember

Go to Lehmanns in Stoke. Best Canon service centre. Carry out warranty repairs and also CPS priority. Fast turn-round too.

If you have variable levels of front focus I would not suspect a hardware issue to be honest. If you run a proper test it should be consistent.

Professional Motorsport Photographer
2 x 1D MK-II, 7D, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L,
300 2.8L IS, 500 4.0L IS, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 1.4 & 2.0 MK-II TC.

Last edited by KennyG : 27th of September 2005 (Tue) at 20:19.
KennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2005 (Wed)   #5
wibbly

Thanks Kenny G. I actually spoke to Fixation in London already (they have an excellent reputation), but they already said they can't do this kind of (calibration) work. I wonder if Lehmanns do...

W
Old 28th of September 2005 (Wed)   #6
PaulB

As far as I am aware the only places to do calibration of DSLRs in the UK are Canon themselves, Lehmann's, and Colchester Camera Repair Services - if you are in Scotland I'm sure there is a Canon authorised repairer in Glasgow (but I can't remeber their name).
PaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of September 2005 (Wed)   #7
wibbly

Lehmann's have a good/better reputation (comapared say with Canon and, say, Fixation)?

W
Old 28th of September 2005 (Wed)   #8
John57

Fixation have been good to me .... but, as you say they don't sort the focus.

I had a 10D that was well out on focus - Canon UK didn't believe me until they saw identical pictures taken with the same lens on our other 10D ! To be fair though, when they looked at the camera they said it was definitely wrong and adjusted it. After that it was like a new camera .... or to be exact, the same as my other 10D had been out of the box.

So, for camera focus issues I can give Canon UK 10/10 ...... however, lenses are, in my experience, a different matter -

Canon UK had 3 goes at sorting the focus on a 24-70L I had ..... they failed and the lens got replaced, effectively by them. They only accepted it was a duff one after I took images with our other 24-70L which was fine and, like the 10D senario, sent them in as a comparison.

I sent a 70-300 DO back twice for softness / out of focus images compared to other 70-300 DO lenses I had seen and they kept saying it was 'within tolerances' when it was clearly rubbish. I ended up selling the lens.

I hope this helps - for adjusting camera focus Canon UK were fine but for lenses they were not.
John57 is offline   Reply With Quote