Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 11:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Dealing with Magazines

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 18, 2011 11:26 |  #1

I'm doing a bodybuilding show this weekend, and I pay money to the event to be the official photographer, in return, I get access to competitors to buy pictures from me. This is something I've done before, and I like it.

However, I was told to talk to a national fitness magazine and the editor wants pictures for the website within 24-48 hrs (another topic there, forcing me to shoot JPG) , then eventually pics for the magazine next month on a disc.

He told me to send over full res (10MP for me) files of the top pics and he uploads and the online software auto resizes. This seemed like a huge waste to me of bandwidth (especially when dealing with hundreds of files) but he seemed insistent it should be full res.

Something I didn't ask yet is about watermarking. I know another photographer that did this event put all the pics he took up on his website, even of those who didn't buy pics, but he watermarked the crap out of them. As photogs, we know that a websize (say 800x600) isn't going to look great printed, but the average person doesn't. I've heard stories and come across people who are too cheap to pay for pictures (I give on a disc), who steal them online and use them at least for facebook profiles, or even print them and think the quality is fine. Not really fair to those who DO pay, or myself since this is like my business.

Should I mention watermarks? If so, should I be insistent on this and not budge? On one hand it's good exposure for the show and the organizers are happy too, but on the other it's not fair to paying competitors or me.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

sponsored links
tcphoto1
Joined Sep 2005
Madison, Ga
Mar 18, 2011 11:41 |  #2

I don't understand the issue? You have a conversation with the magazine and agree on the content of the images, licensing and the fee. After the competition, you have the images in a folder and transmit them using an FTP overnight, so you can go to sleep and it's completed by the time you get up. How would anyone get access to them unless the magazine gives them away but that is why you have your paperwork in order.

www.tonyclarkphoto.comexternal link
www.tcphoto.orgexternal link

Juggernaut
Joined Oct 2006
Bournemouth. UK
Mar 18, 2011 11:52 |  #3

ever fought about a photoshelter account? they water mark the photos once you upload them the site, the magazine can have a account and simply just download the ones he wants.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 18, 2011 12:06 |  #4

tcphoto1 wrote in post #12044230external link
I don't understand the issue? You have a conversation with the magazine and agree on the content of the images, licensing and the fee. After the competition, you have the images in a folder and transmit them using an FTP overnight, so you can go to sleep and it's completed by the time you get up. How would anyone get access to them unless the magazine gives them away but that is why you have your paperwork in order.

The problem is that competitors will be able to view the pictures on their website, and from their download and/or print the images. This is fine for the people who bought pictures from me, but not for those who didn't.

Juggernaut wrote in post #12044317external link
ever fought about a photoshelter account? they water mark the photos once you upload them the site, the magazine can have a account and simply just download the ones he wants.

I will have a look into this. Thanks!

Juggernaut
Joined Oct 2006
Bournemouth. UK
Mar 18, 2011 12:11 |  #5

photoshelter is a excellent site, my friend gavin ellis, snaps alot of soccer and players can download them

http://tgsphoto.photos​helter.com ...4BqYDwsE/I0000cz7vh​O.UJjoexternal link

as you can see on the right, players can download the photos from facebook size to full res. they can also order prints.

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 18, 2011 12:22 |  #6

Thanks for the TGSPhoto info, I will keep that in mind for the next shows for sure.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007
North West UK
Mar 18, 2011 13:15 |  #7

I can't see the problem. Just make sure that the deal with the magazine is enough so that you cover any expected losses by people printing off crappy 800x600 prints from the web site.

The bigger issue is why he wants full-res images and this can only be because he wants to use them in another (probably print) media quickly i.e. before you send him the disc.

Just make sure that your agreement with him is watertight and that he pays enough for what he is getting. He wants you to supply full res files that's $xxx per image - if he wants 800 x 600 res images then that's $xx per image.

You have 48 hours to supply initial images - why does this force you to shoot JPG?

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,569 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Canada
Mar 19, 2011 22:12 |  #8

The do not need high res for the web.
800pm with both your watermark and magazines' watermark.
Then if they purchased high res only send them the high res they need for print.

Email me directly if you need to.
Which pub IFM or MI?

ChrisVLinton.comexternal link - Glamour
sportsNaction.comexternal link - Sports
Become a Fan on Facebookexternal link
Follow me on Twitterexternal link and Instagramexternal link and Blogexternal link at Tumblrexternal link
My Gearlist

drisley
THREAD ­ STARTER
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Mar 24, 2011 13:55 |  #9

Thanks guys! I needed to shoot JPG because to output hundreds of Raws using Canons software takes days (I like Canon software for the colour vs ACR).

Will drop you a line Chris!

sponsored links

1,499 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dealing with Magazines
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.