FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 12:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
10,917 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Post #1, Mar 18, 2011 12:42:22

Cheers,
Tony

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
monkeymike
Joined Jan 2009
185 posts
Chicago Suburbs
[MORE/SHARE]

DPP will let you shoot tethered.

camera -> computer -> monitor
i dont think you can do it direct (camera -> monitor) with any setup

~mike

Post #2, Mar 18, 2011 15:17:25

| 50D |
| 10-22 |
17-40 | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8 IS |
| 50 1.4 |
| 430EX II | 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 | 680B w/ 234RC |

zerovision
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,146 posts
Dallas/Ft Worth area
[MORE/SHARE]

DPP, Lightroom will let you tether and OnOne as a wireless software you can add to an iPhone or iPad and change the settings from the device if you have the camera on a tripod, but the camera has to be tethered to a computer.

If you just want to tether direct to a computer, DPP works great.

Post #3, Mar 18, 2011 15:22:23

zerovision
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,146 posts
Dallas/Ft Worth area
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh, also, you can set the Canon software to open in bridge if that software of what you prefer and edit in RAW and CS.

Post #4, Mar 18, 2011 15:24:38

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
10,917 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.

Post #5, Mar 18, 2011 16:14:48

Cheers,
Tony

sponsored links
NicolasRubio
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2006
1,152 posts
Buenos Aires, Argentina
[MORE/SHARE]

Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?

Post #6, Mar 19, 2011 01:16:13

Gripped 7D - 3 Ls - 3 non-Ls - 580EX II - Too much Think Tank gear - Cotton Carrier Holster

Detailed Gear List - My Websiteexternal link

zerovision
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,146 posts
Dallas/Ft Worth area
[MORE/SHARE]

tonyniev wrote in post #12045739external link
Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.

I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.comexternal link. You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.

Post #7, Mar 19, 2011 21:03:47

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
10,917 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

zerovision wrote in post #12052978external link
I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.comexternal link. You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.

Great, this is the info I need, okay on Aperture thru USB, that should be easy and now I will download OnOne Software for ipad, I will be using sdhc wifi with CF adaptor. Thanks

Post #8, Mar 19, 2011 21:22:57

Cheers,
Tony

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 posts
San Francisco area
[MORE/SHARE]

NicolasRubio wrote in post #12048320external link
Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?

Yes, it will. Here are 2 products with 5" screens with reasonable resolution:
http://www.dpreview.co​m ...1305sonyclmv55monit​or.aspexternal link

http://www.luminous-landscape.com ...50_portable_monitor​.shtmlexternal link

Both are made primarily for the video-DSLR market, but are in essence, larger versions of the camera LCD using the HDMI output. The Sony is less expensive, but doesn't include the necessary Sony camera battery and charger. Both are sold at B&H and Adorama. There are others out there as well. Marshall make quite a few flavors.
Mike K

Post #9, Mar 19, 2011 22:08:10

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
10,917 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

^^ THanks Mike

Post #10, Mar 19, 2011 22:11:23

Cheers,
Tony

phreeky
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,471 posts
Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah you can hook up directly to a TV/monitor with a HDMI input, and in theory then also a monitor with a DVI input via a simple adapter - assuming it takes a resolution that is compatible etc.

Post #11, Mar 20, 2011 06:05:13

sponsored links
BuckyN8
Joined Oct 2010
352 posts
Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you able to tether a T2i to a macbook pro?

Post #12, Mar 20, 2011 12:14:17

joebarnes
Joined Sep 2008
20 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Can someone be so kind as to help me with what cables to buy and were to get them for tethering. I use a HP laptop.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Post #13, Apr 06, 2011 12:39:28

Mr Joe:rolleyes:

squaresnappr
Joined Mar 2009
278 posts
Toronto, Ontario
[MORE/SHARE]

tonyniev wrote in post #12044585external link
Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

I shoot tethered all the time in the studio and I use lightroom 3. I shoot 2 times a week in studio and the models also like it when I shoot tethered. I use a 15' usb repeater cable and a jerkstopper for my 5d mark 2 and my 1d4 came with a cable holder for the mini usb

The one thing I found frustrating was there is some wiggle with the mini usb in the camera so sometimes I lost connection. Some of my buddys use gaffer tape but the jerkstopper is pretty good. The best is the cable holder from canon that came with the 1d4.

Post #14, Apr 06, 2011 21:32:39

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.comexternal link
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508external link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tether monitor for studio shoots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES