Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #1
tonyniev
Cream of the Crop

Default Tether monitor for studio shoots

Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #2
monkeymike

Default Re: Tether monitor for studio shoots

DPP will let you shoot tethered.

camera -> computer -> monitor
i dont think you can do it direct (camera -> monitor) with any setup

~mike
| 50 1.4 |
| 430EX II | 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 | 680B w/ 234RC |
monkeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #3
zerovision

DPP, Lightroom will let you tether and OnOne as a wireless software you can add to an iPhone or iPad and change the settings from the device if you have the camera on a tripod, but the camera has to be tethered to a computer.

If you just want to tether direct to a computer, DPP works great.
zerovision is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #4
zerovision

Oh, also, you can set the Canon software to open in bridge if that software of what you prefer and edit in RAW and CS.
Old 18th of March 2011 (Fri)   #5
tonyniev
Cream of the Crop

Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #6
NicolasRubio

Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?

NicolasRubio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #7
zerovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyniev View Post
Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.
I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.com. You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #8
tonyniev
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovision View Post
I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.com. You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.
Great, this is the info I need, okay on Aperture thru USB, that should be easy and now I will download OnOne Software for ipad, I will be using sdhc wifi with CF adaptor. Thanks
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #9
Mike K

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasRubio View Post
Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?
Yes, it will. Here are 2 products with 5" screens with reasonable resolution:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11...v55monitor.asp

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re..._monitor.shtml

Both are made primarily for the video-DSLR market, but are in essence, larger versions of the camera LCD using the HDMI output. The Sony is less expensive, but doesn't include the necessary Sony camera battery and charger. Both are sold at B&H and Adorama. There are others out there as well. Marshall make quite a few flavors.
Mike K
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #10
tonyniev
Cream of the Crop

^^ THanks Mike
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #11
phreeky
Goldmember

Yeah you can hook up directly to a TV/monitor with a HDMI input, and in theory then also a monitor with a DVI input via a simple adapter - assuming it takes a resolution that is compatible etc.
phreeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #12
BuckyN8

Are you able to tether a T2i to a macbook pro?
BuckyN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of April 2011 (Wed)   #13
joebarnes

Can someone be so kind as to help me with what cables to buy and were to get them for tethering. I use a HP laptop.

Thanks in advance

Joe
Old 6th of April 2011 (Wed)   #14
squaresnappr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyniev View Post
Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks
I shoot tethered all the time in the studio and I use lightroom 3. I shoot 2 times a week in studio and the models also like it when I shoot tethered. I use a 15' usb repeater cable and a jerkstopper for my 5d mark 2 and my 1d4 came with a cable holder for the mini usb

The one thing I found frustrating was there is some wiggle with the mini usb in the camera so sometimes I lost connection. Some of my buddys use gaffer tape but the jerkstopper is pretty good. The best is the cable holder from canon that came with the 1d4.
squaresnappr is offline   Reply With Quote