Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 12:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tether monitor for studio shoots

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,266 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 18, 2011 12:42 |  #1

Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

sponsored links
monkeymike
186 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 18, 2011 15:17 |  #2

DPP will let you shoot tethered.

camera -> computer -> monitor
i dont think you can do it direct (camera -> monitor) with any setup

~mike

| 50D | 7Dii |
| 10-22 | 17-40 | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8 IS |
| 50 1.4 |
| 430EX II | 055XPROB w/ 488RC2 | 680B w/ 234RC |

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 18, 2011 15:22 |  #3

DPP, Lightroom will let you tether and OnOne as a wireless software you can add to an iPhone or iPad and change the settings from the device if you have the camera on a tripod, but the camera has to be tethered to a computer.

If you just want to tether direct to a computer, DPP works great.

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 18, 2011 15:24 |  #4

Oh, also, you can set the Canon software to open in bridge if that software of what you prefer and edit in RAW and CS.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,266 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 18, 2011 16:14 |  #5

Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

NicolasRubio
Goldmember
1,152 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 19, 2011 01:16 |  #6

Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?

Gripped 7D - 3 Ls - 3 non-Ls - 580EX II - Too much Think Tank gear - Cotton Carrier Holster

Detailed Gear List - My Website (external link)

zerovision
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 19, 2011 21:03 |  #7

tonyniev wrote in post #12045739 (external link)
Okay, got these good info, can anyone share their setup. I have aperture, does it have wirelsscapability as Lightroom? Howdo use an iPad? Thanks again.

I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.com (external link). You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,266 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 19, 2011 21:22 |  #8

zerovision wrote in post #12052978 (external link)
I tether to a notebook with a USB A to mini B cable. The mini B connects to the 5D II and once you plug it into the computer you can open Aperture and under file there is a tether option. You can select start session and it should have a window pop up and show the 5D II as the camera connected.

Its been awhile since I used Aperture for tethering, but I was able to with both the 5D and 1D Mark III.

OnOne software has a program you can download from their website. www.ononesoftware.com (external link). You need a computer with Wifi. Once your tethered and you have the software loaded on the iPad, there is instruction video that OnOne Software has on their website to help get it set up. Its a very cool program.

Great, this is the info I need, okay on Aperture thru USB, that should be easy and now I will download OnOne Software for ipad, I will be using sdhc wifi with CF adaptor. Thanks

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 19, 2011 22:08 |  #9

NicolasRubio wrote in post #12048320 (external link)
Wouldn't the 5D Mark II's mini-HDMI output be enough to shoot tethered directly to a monitor?

Yes, it will. Here are 2 products with 5" screens with reasonable resolution:
http://www.dpreview.co​m …1305sonyclmv55m​onitor.asp (external link)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …50_portable_mon​itor.shtml (external link)

Both are made primarily for the video-DSLR market, but are in essence, larger versions of the camera LCD using the HDMI output. The Sony is less expensive, but doesn't include the necessary Sony camera battery and charger. Both are sold at B&H and Adorama. There are others out there as well. Marshall make quite a few flavors.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

tonyniev
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
11,266 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 19, 2011 22:11 |  #10

^^ THanks Mike

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 20, 2011 06:05 |  #11

Yeah you can hook up directly to a TV/monitor with a HDMI input, and in theory then also a monitor with a DVI input via a simple adapter - assuming it takes a resolution that is compatible etc.

BuckyN8
352 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 20, 2011 12:14 |  #12

Are you able to tether a T2i to a macbook pro?

joebarnes
20 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 06, 2011 12:39 |  #13

Can someone be so kind as to help me with what cables to buy and were to get them for tethering. I use a HP laptop.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Mr Joe:rolleyes:

squaresnappr
278 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 06, 2011 21:32 |  #14

tonyniev wrote in post #12044585 (external link)
Looking for advise on gears to hook up a monitor to 5D2 while doing studio shoot.

I have seen others hook up a monitor, some a MacBookPro , share you experience so I do not have to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks

I shoot tethered all the time in the studio and I use lightroom 3. I shoot 2 times a week in studio and the models also like it when I shoot tethered. I use a 15' usb repeater cable and a jerkstopper for my 5d mark 2 and my 1d4 came with a cable holder for the mini usb

The one thing I found frustrating was there is some wiggle with the mini usb in the camera so sometimes I lost connection. Some of my buddys use gaffer tape but the jerkstopper is pretty good. The best is the cable holder from canon that came with the 1d4.

My Gear
http://www.solofotogra​phy.com (external link)
http://www.modelmayhem​.com/1896508 (external link)

sponsored links

4,711 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tether monitor for studio shoots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.