How to convert from RAW to JPEG?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 19 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 19:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

yoadrienneaz
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2010
8 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

I accidently put my 60D into raw mode and now I cannot access the photos. How to I convert them to JPEG FREE? there are a lot of software out there that wants $40-$60. I'm disappointed that it didn't come with the camera software.

Post #1, Mar 19, 2011 19:03:17

Love capturing God's creation through the camera lense!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
8,108 posts
Alberta, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Didn't your camera come with EOS Utility and DPP?

Post #2, Mar 19, 2011 19:06:06

Bob
SmugMugexternal link | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Too bad you don't have the disks!

Go to this site to get info about installing the Digital Photo Professional software without the disk:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk ...stall_canon_softwar​e.htmlexternal link

You need to "fake" a previous install before getting the updates from Canon.

Post #3, Mar 19, 2011 20:41:49

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
10,229 posts
Richmond VA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Better yet this 'mistake' may be a good time to get Lightroom!

Post #4, Mar 19, 2011 21:47:11

Flickrexternal link

exwintech
Joined Apr 2009
551 posts
Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Yoadrienneaz - This is just a quick'n'dirty - but if ALL you want to do is convert RAW data files to TIFF or JPEG, so you can access them in a standard graphics application, you might look at the free RAWdrop utility.

It has very few choices, but you can select Brightness, and Camera or Auto WB. You can do JPEG or 8/16-bit TIFF. There's also a CR2 RAW data recovery function for Canon.

I use it under Wine in Linux, on occasions I want a look-see at RAWs I did that weren't RAW+JPEG and I'm not sure which RAWs are worth working on - so just use RAWdrop on a set of Copies of the original RAWs.

It's a frontend for DCRAW, and is found at:

- www.wizards.de/rawdrop​/external link - which also has an explanation of it.

NOTE: - If you are using Windows, as with all such "open site" downloads - do check the *.exe with your AV program before running it - just to be on the safe side...

Dave.

Post #5, Mar 19, 2011 22:52:28 as a reply to K6AZ's post 1 hour earlier.

sponsored links
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
10,229 posts
Richmond VA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

exwintech wrote in post #12053534external link
Yoadrienneaz - This is just a quick'n'dirty - but if ALL you want to do is convert RAW data files to TIFF or JPEG, so you can access them in a standard graphics application, you might look at the free RAWdrop utility.

It has very few choices, but you can select Brightness, and Camera or Auto WB. You can do JPEG or 8/16-bit TIFF. There's also a CR2 RAW data recovery function for Canon.

I use it under Wine in Linux, on occasions I want a look-see at RAWs I did that weren't RAW+JPEG and I'm not sure which RAWs are worth working on - so just use RAWdrop on a set of Copies of the original RAWs.

It's a frontend for DCRAW, and is found at:

- www.wizards.de/rawdrop​/external link - which also has an explanation of it.

NOTE: - If you are using Windows, as with all such "open site" downloads - do check the *.exe with your AV program before running it - just to be on the safe side...

Dave.

The Windows .exe is clean at least up to my latest definition update timestamped at 3PM today.

Post #6, Mar 19, 2011 23:04:02

Flickrexternal link

bowenbee
Joined Feb 2011
83 posts
MD
[MORE/SHARE]

Why don't just download Digital Photo Professional? It'll open the proprietary .CR2 Canon RAW file. http://canon-utilities-digital-photo-profession.software.in​former.com/external link

Post #7, Mar 19, 2011 23:34:21

Eos 7D | 15-85mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 70-200 F/4 IS L | 430EX |

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

bowenbee wrote in post #12053773external link
Why don't just download Digital Photo Professional? It'll open the proprietary .CR2 Canon RAW file. http://canon-utilities-digital-photo-profession.software.in​former.com/external link

That's an interesting site, a third-party outfit offering a direct download, but using a different name (Canon Utilities Digital Photo Professional is combining two different application titles).

So, whether to trust that site and go for it, I dunno. If it works, you will still need to go to Canon to upgrade to the proper version.

Post #8, Mar 20, 2011 01:02:02

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,613 posts
Channelview, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess when you searched the Canon USA website you overlooked the DPP download, huh?
http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...gital_slr_cameras/e​os_60dexternal link

Post #9, Mar 20, 2011 01:18:15

MaxPreps Profileexternal link

My Gear List

exwintech
Joined Apr 2009
551 posts
Croydon Park, Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

K6AZ - That warning was no reflection on the site referred to. I'm running the app in Wine on Linux, so I don't know whether it's infected with things that'd harm a Windows install or not.

But I spent over 11 years as a Windows tech in suburban dealerships - and a lot of the "repair" jobs there were disinfestings of Windows - or "save the data, and reinstall Windows" - so long as the client brought in their Windows, Office, and other apps CDs. That's where the "exwintech" tag is from.

So I've seen a few infested installs, and wouldn't wish that on anyone. So in whichever Forum I'm on - quite a few - if I suggest that folk with Windows download something to install and try - the "rider" - check it with their AV before installing - goes with it.

Most folk on a tech-related Forum like this, would know about it and do that anyway. But there are some newer Members, who might also be a bit newer with PCs, too...

So - good to know the RAWdrop executable is currently clean... But I'd check it anyway. It might leave their site, clean - but a "something" might join it on the way...

I had MS products since 1983 - PC-DOS, then Micro-Soft DOS, on a "Genuine IBM" Twin-Slotter - no HDD, no TSR programs, through to the early 2000s. So I learnt most of my skills on MS O/S sofware, did both of my Trade Courses (2), my College Certs (3), and the CompTIA A+ (twice - Win 95 / NT 3 and 4, then NT 5.0/Win2k and 5.1/XP in 2001) - so do have a reasonable grounding in Windows - up to XP SP3. I haven't had a Vista or Win-7 PC.

Dave.

Post #10, Mar 20, 2011 01:37:56 as a reply to tonylong's post 35 minutes earlier.

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
10,229 posts
Richmond VA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I don't date back that far, only back to MS DOS 3. ;)

I just thought I'd throw it out there from a second member that the Windows application is free.

BTW, I only use Linux for my servers. I prefer Windows for my everyday boxes.

Post #11, Mar 20, 2011 01:45:26

Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
Joined Sep 2008
3,070 posts
Bath - England
[MORE/SHARE]

MT Stringer wrote in post #12054143external link
I guess when you searched the Canon USA website you overlooked the DPP download, huh?
http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...gital_slr_cameras/e​os_60dexternal link

This still won't install unless a previous version is, or has been installed - See Tony's post (#3) above ;-)a

Alternatively you can download the full version 1 from HEREexternal link and then update from the Canon web site

Post #12, Mar 20, 2011 03:58:13

Kev

macroimage
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
2,162 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon offers the full version of ZoombrowserEX 6.6.0b at:
http://www.usa.canon.c​om ...os_60d#DriversAndSo​ftwareexternal link

The file you want is ZB660INST_E.exe. This is the full installer, not the updater. You will have to type in your camera serial number to get this file. Once ZoombrowserEX is installed, you can install any of the other Canon updaters like DPP 3.9.3 and EOS Utility 2.9.0.

To keep it really simple, just opening one of the raw files in ZoombrowserEX and clicking "Display Original Image" at the bottom of the picture will convert the raw file to what the original in-camera JPG would have been. You can then use the file menu to save it as a TIF, JPG, BMP, or print it.

Post #13, Mar 20, 2011 15:55:57

Photo Gear

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

That's a good link to have, macroimage! Thanks!

Post #14, Mar 20, 2011 20:19:16

Tony

mrbubbles
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,090 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Googles Picasa software is free and will accept CR2 files.

Post #15, Mar 20, 2011 20:22:32

Gear List
Zenfolioexternal link
Flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to convert from RAW to JPEG?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES