Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #1
yoadrienneaz

Default How to convert from RAW to JPEG?

I accidently put my 60D into raw mode and now I cannot access the photos. How to I convert them to JPEG FREE? there are a lot of software out there that wants $40-$60. I'm disappointed that it didn't come with the camera software.
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #2
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: How to convert from RAW to JPEG?

Didn't your camera come with EOS Utility and DPP?

Bob_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #3
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Too bad you don't have the disks!

Go to this site to get info about installing the Digital Photo Professional software without the disk:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/a..._software.html

You need to "fake" a previous install before getting the updates from Canon.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #4
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop

Better yet this 'mistake' may be a good time to get Lightroom!
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #5
exwintech

Yoadrienneaz - This is just a quick'n'dirty - but if ALL you want to do is convert RAW data files to TIFF or JPEG, so you can access them in a standard graphics application, you might look at the free RAWdrop utility.

It has very few choices, but you can select Brightness, and Camera or Auto WB. You can do JPEG or 8/16-bit TIFF. There's also a CR2 RAW data recovery function for Canon.

I use it under Wine in Linux, on occasions I want a look-see at RAWs I did that weren't RAW+JPEG and I'm not sure which RAWs are worth working on - so just use RAWdrop on a set of Copies of the original RAWs.

It's a frontend for DCRAW, and is found at:

- www.wizards.de/rawdrop/ - which also has an explanation of it.

NOTE: - If you are using Windows, as with all such "open site" downloads - do check the *.exe with your AV program before running it - just to be on the safe side...

Dave.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #6
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwintech View Post
Yoadrienneaz - This is just a quick'n'dirty - but if ALL you want to do is convert RAW data files to TIFF or JPEG, so you can access them in a standard graphics application, you might look at the free RAWdrop utility.

It has very few choices, but you can select Brightness, and Camera or Auto WB. You can do JPEG or 8/16-bit TIFF. There's also a CR2 RAW data recovery function for Canon.

I use it under Wine in Linux, on occasions I want a look-see at RAWs I did that weren't RAW+JPEG and I'm not sure which RAWs are worth working on - so just use RAWdrop on a set of Copies of the original RAWs.

It's a frontend for DCRAW, and is found at:

- www.wizards.de/rawdrop/ - which also has an explanation of it.

NOTE: - If you are using Windows, as with all such "open site" downloads - do check the *.exe with your AV program before running it - just to be on the safe side...

Dave.
The Windows .exe is clean at least up to my latest definition update timestamped at 3PM today.
Old 19th of March 2011 (Sat)   #7
bowenbee

Why don't just download Digital Photo Professional? It'll open the proprietary .CR2 Canon RAW file. http://canon-utilities-digital-photo....informer.com/

Last edited by bowenbee : 19th of March 2011 (Sat) at 23:36.
bowenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #8
tonylong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowenbee View Post
Why don't just download Digital Photo Professional? It'll open the proprietary .CR2 Canon RAW file. http://canon-utilities-digital-photo....informer.com/
That's an interesting site, a third-party outfit offering a direct download, but using a different name (Canon Utilities Digital Photo Professional is combining two different application titles).

So, whether to trust that site and go for it, I dunno. If it works, you will still need to go to Canon to upgrade to the proper version.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #9
MT Stringer
Goldmember

I guess when you searched the Canon USA website you overlooked the DPP download, huh?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ameras/eos_60d

MT Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #10
exwintech

K6AZ - That warning was no reflection on the site referred to. I'm running the app in Wine on Linux, so I don't know whether it's infected with things that'd harm a Windows install or not.

But I spent over 11 years as a Windows tech in suburban dealerships - and a lot of the "repair" jobs there were disinfestings of Windows - or "save the data, and reinstall Windows" - so long as the client brought in their Windows, Office, and other apps CDs. That's where the "exwintech" tag is from.

So I've seen a few infested installs, and wouldn't wish that on anyone. So in whichever Forum I'm on - quite a few - if I suggest that folk with Windows download something to install and try - the "rider" - check it with their AV before installing - goes with it.

Most folk on a tech-related Forum like this, would know about it and do that anyway. But there are some newer Members, who might also be a bit newer with PCs, too...

So - good to know the RAWdrop executable is currently clean... But I'd check it anyway. It might leave their site, clean - but a "something" might join it on the way...

I had MS products since 1983 - PC-DOS, then Micro-Soft DOS, on a "Genuine IBM" Twin-Slotter - no HDD, no TSR programs, through to the early 2000s. So I learnt most of my skills on MS O/S sofware, did both of my Trade Courses (2), my College Certs (3), and the CompTIA A+ (twice - Win 95 / NT 3 and 4, then NT 5.0/Win2k and 5.1/XP in 2001) - so do have a reasonable grounding in Windows - up to XP SP3. I haven't had a Vista or Win-7 PC.

Dave.
exwintech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #11
K6AZ
Cream of the Crop

Well, I don't date back that far, only back to MS DOS 3.

I just thought I'd throw it out there from a second member that the Windows application is free.

BTW, I only use Linux for my servers. I prefer Windows for my everyday boxes.
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #12
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer View Post
I guess when you searched the Canon USA website you overlooked the DPP download, huh?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ameras/eos_60d
This still won't install unless a previous version is, or has been installed - See Tony's post (#3) above

Alternatively you can download the full version 1 from HERE and then update from the Canon web site

Last edited by NinetyEight : 20th of March 2011 (Sun) at 04:02. Reason: added link
NinetyEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #13
macroimage
Goldmember

Canon offers the full version of ZoombrowserEX 6.6.0b at:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware

The file you want is ZB660INST_E.exe. This is the full installer, not the updater. You will have to type in your camera serial number to get this file. Once ZoombrowserEX is installed, you can install any of the other Canon updaters like DPP 3.9.3 and EOS Utility 2.9.0.

To keep it really simple, just opening one of the raw files in ZoombrowserEX and clicking "Display Original Image" at the bottom of the picture will convert the raw file to what the original in-camera JPG would have been. You can then use the file menu to save it as a TIF, JPG, BMP, or print it.

Last edited by macroimage : 20th of March 2011 (Sun) at 15:58.
macroimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #14
tonylong

That's a good link to have, macroimage! Thanks!
Old 20th of March 2011 (Sun)   #15
mrbubbles

Googles Picasa software is free and will accept CR2 files.
mrbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote