Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #1
givtu

Default Card not formatted error - 5D MK II

I'm also submitting this to Canon support, but I thought I would throw it out here on the POTN boards to see if any of our members may have experienced the same thing. I've been trying to research this on the web for months now and I can't find another instance of someone experiencing the exact same issue I'm having with TWO camera bodies. I have found similar issues with this error, which point to bent CF slot pins, but I can find no evidence of this in either camera.

● I own two Canon 5D Mark II camera bodies. I am experiencing the exact same problem equally with both cameras.
● The problem began occurring roughly around the same time with both camera bodies, about 4 months ago.
● The camera bodies were purchased more than a year apart from two different dealers.
● Here is the problem: after inserting a formatted memory card into either camera, the camera frequently returns an error of "Card not formatted. Format the card in this camera."
● The error occurs with any of my cards. I have Kingston, Lexar, and Silicone Power memory cards in both 4GB and 8GB capacities. The cards were purchased at different times from different vendors. They have varying usage as some are very new and some I have been using for a couple of years. The cards have only been used in these two camera bodies.
● The cards have always been formatted in either one of the camera bodies, never on a PC.
● Looking into the card slot using a flashlight, I cannot see any pins that appear to be bent or missing.
● I have found that doing the following anywhere from one to a dozen times will allow the camera to finally recognize the card: turning the power off, opening the door to the card slot, removing and reinserting the card, closing the door, and powering it back on. On some occasions, simply opening and closing the door to the card slot several times will allow the camera to recognize the card. Once the camera recognizes the card, it works fine as long as I don't change the lens or remove the card. Once I power it off, change the lens, then power it back on, I will sometimes get the "Card not formatted" error message again. The same if I remove the card and reinsert it.

What do you believe causes this problem to occur?

I am a wedding photographer and I need these camera bodies to fulfill contracted obligations and cannot be without them for an extended period of time. I am hoping for some solution to this issue that will allow me to continue using the cameras. Sending them in for repair is a very last resort that comes with bad consequences for me. Thank you for your help.
www.elementimage.com
givtu is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #2
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Card not formatted error - 5D MK II

When you pull your images off of the card, do you allow the software to delete the images? I'm wondering if something isnt changing the information on the cards.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #3
lannes
Goldmember

Since the error started about the same time on both of the bodies, I suspect a card damaged the CF pins, did you get a new card around this time ?

It could be that this one card has below spec tolerances on one of the pin holes which potentially being smaller has pushed in one of the pins in the CF slot leading to the intermittent electrical connection.
Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #4
givtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzogolf View Post
When you pull your images off of the card, do you allow the software to delete the images? I'm wondering if something isnt changing the information on the cards.
I don't let the software delete the images. But the problem also happens quite frequently with freshly formatted cards.
www.elementimage.com
Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #5
givtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
Since the error started about the same time on both of the bodies, I suspect a card damaged the CF pins, did you get a new card around this time ?

It could be that this one card has below spec tolerances on one of the pin holes which potentially being smaller has pushed in one of the pins in the CF slot leading to the intermittent electrical connection.
I probably should check the pins again. I did buy 3 8gb cards with the brand name of Silicone Power which I had not previously heard of. It was probably not too long before the problem started. Thanks, and I'll look at that tonight.
www.elementimage.com
Old 21st of March 2011 (Mon)   #6
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

I've heard that off-brand cards can have narrow openings that can be rough on pins, whereas the tried-and-true Sandisk cards have well-beveled openings that let pins slide in, so this may be a factor.

The problem is whether actual damage has been done. Since all your cards now seem to be acting up, you may have pin trouble. You could try to get ahold of some Sandisk cards and see if they behave better, but if there is pin damage you may have a problem -- people have been able to un-bend pins, but I don't know how reliable that is.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of March 2011 (Thu)   #7
givtu

I examined the card slot with a magnifying glass and LED flashlight. I couldn't see any evidence of bent pins. Also, sometimes I can get it to work by sliding the CF slot door back and forth until it recognizes the card, without removing the card itself. So... huh...
www.elementimage.com
Old 30th of March 2011 (Wed)   #8
technotish

I can say with absolute assurance that you have a bent pen. I have a 20d, 40d & 50d. I was using a CF card reader and noticed that the pins were pulled when I removed the card. The next card I put in would not read. Loaded the card in the 50d----and then it started CARD NOT FORMATTED. I tried 3 other cards lexar, scandisk... Got the same error. When I looked into the slot a pin appeared to be bent so close to another that it could appear as one. I checked the 40d and saw the same, I check the 20d. I had not put any of the cards in it today and verified that I had bent pins in both the 40/50d's. I got a pair of scissors [which I don't recommend] and bent the pin back. I put in one of the card that wouldn't read b4 and immediately the card was recigonized. I repeated the same steps in the 40d and it now works as well.... Goodluck
technotish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of November 2011 (Mon)   #9
jarvj

Hi Folks, I'm a new member of this forum as of today. I just developed a similar problem and error message on my Canon 5D Mark II with three cards - (2) 16 gb, and (1) 32 gb cards (I believe all Lexar). Thanks for the tips re the bent pins and service requirements.

Are any of you are aware of issues with the 5D Mark II, this error message (cards need formatting - but not possible to do) and a connection with large capacity CF cards (16/32 gb) and firmware updating requirements?

Thanks for any help.
Old 7th of November 2011 (Mon)   #10
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

More or less a common problem with the 5D Mk II. Go to http://www.tomguilmette.com/wp/my-bl...age-3#comments and carefully read the whole article, then carefully re-examine your pins and see if you can determine cause and potential remedy.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of November 2011 (Mon)   #11
John from PA
Cream of the Crop

More at the following links...the last two links are a repair service in Vermont that will fix bent pins and include a sensor cleaning for $200.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...6&changemode=1

http://www.lezot.com/servlet/the-56/...-repair/Detail

http://www.lezot.com/CFcards.htm
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of November 2011 (Sat)   #12
Christina

I'm having this issue with my 5DII also. The strange thing is that I did have a bent pin back and August and sent the camera to Canon for repair. I've used it plenty since then, and just started to see this issue about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do as givtu said and reseated the card and opened the door repeatedly and now it is reading my card again.

Sounds like it's going to make another trip to Canon - maybe they didn't do the job right?
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #13
givtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina View Post
I'm having this issue with my 5DII also. The strange thing is that I did have a bent pin back and August and sent the camera to Canon for repair. I've used it plenty since then, and just started to see this issue about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do as givtu said and reseated the card and opened the door repeatedly and now it is reading my card again.

Sounds like it's going to make another trip to Canon - maybe they didn't do the job right?
It might be a bent pin, but in 2 camera bodies at the same time? About 75% of the time I get a card read error if I just insert the card, but I found a workaround that works with about 100% efficiency: blow in the card slot. If I just blow a puff of air into the card slot before inserting the card, the camera recognizes it exactly as it should. Does that still sound like a bent pin? And my camera bodies aren't dirty, either. I keep them clean and packed away when not in use, and do my best to minimize dust getting into the innards. Since last year when this started, I have changed memory cards literally hundreds of times, and the scenario remains the same; if I blow into the slot, everything's fine. If I don't, most likely a card read error will occur.
www.elementimage.com
Old 30th of November 2011 (Wed)   #14
JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...

Quote:
Originally Posted by givtu View Post
I don't let the software delete the images. But the problem also happens quite frequently with freshly formatted cards.
When you say "freshly formatted cards" do you mean formatted in the camera or formatted in your computer?

Also, are you swapping cards back and forth between the two bodies?

For best results, the memory cards should be formatted in the camera each time pictures are downloaded. This insures the card is correctly formatted each time it is used. I find it works a lot better to have a dedicated set of cards for each camera I own.
Old 1st of December 2011 (Thu)   #15
givtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWright View Post
When you say "freshly formatted cards" do you mean formatted in the camera or formatted in your computer?

Also, are you swapping cards back and forth between the two bodies?

For best results, the memory cards should be formatted in the camera each time pictures are downloaded. This insures the card is correctly formatted each time it is used. I find it works a lot better to have a dedicated set of cards for each camera I own.

I do share cards between cameras, but I don't typically pop a card out and put it into the other body after I have started shooting photos and recording to it. In other words, once I have inserted a card, I'll shoot it all on one body. I format the cards in-camera. My usual routine is on the day of a wedding, I'll sit down with a stack of cards and format them all using one of my camera bodies (no one in particular), then put them in a card case for use as we need them throughout the day. I have mostly 8 gig cards with a couple 16's and several 4's. We typically shoot 60-80 gigs of photos in a wedding (~2000 - 3000 images), so we're constantly popping cards in and out, which makes the card read error thing more than just a minor inconvenience. It could mean the difference between capturing or missing an important moment. Fortunately, the fix I mentioned previously - though not optimal - has been a pretty successful bandaid, though the issue is still baffling.
www.elementimage.com