I'm also submitting this to Canon support, but I thought I would throw it out here on the POTN boards to see if any of our members may have experienced the same thing. I've been trying to research this on the web for months now and I can't find another instance of someone experiencing the exact same issue I'm having with TWO camera bodies. I have found similar issues with this error, which point to bent CF slot pins, but I can find no evidence of this in either camera.
● I own two Canon 5D Mark II camera bodies. I am experiencing the exact same problem equally with both cameras.
● The problem began occurring roughly around the same time with both camera bodies, about 4 months ago.
● The camera bodies were purchased more than a year apart from two different dealers.
● Here is the problem: after inserting a formatted memory card into either camera, the camera frequently returns an error of "Card not formatted. Format the card in this camera."
● The error occurs with any of my cards. I have Kingston, Lexar, and Silicone Power memory cards in both 4GB and 8GB capacities. The cards were purchased at different times from different vendors. They have varying usage as some are very new and some I have been using for a couple of years. The cards have only been used in these two camera bodies.
● The cards have always been formatted in either one of the camera bodies, never on a PC.
● Looking into the card slot using a flashlight, I cannot see any pins that appear to be bent or missing.
● I have found that doing the following anywhere from one to a dozen times will allow the camera to finally recognize the card: turning the power off, opening the door to the card slot, removing and reinserting the card, closing the door, and powering it back on. On some occasions, simply opening and closing the door to the card slot several times will allow the camera to recognize the card. Once the camera recognizes the card, it works fine as long as I don't change the lens or remove the card. Once I power it off, change the lens, then power it back on, I will sometimes get the "Card not formatted" error message again. The same if I remove the card and reinsert it.
What do you believe causes this problem to occur?
I am a wedding photographer and I need these camera bodies to fulfill contracted obligations and cannot be without them for an extended period of time. I am hoping for some solution to this issue that will allow me to continue using the cameras. Sending them in for repair is a very last resort that comes with bad consequences for me. Thank you for your help.