Card not formatted error - 5D MK II

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 21 Mar 2011 (Monday) 14:25   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

givtu
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm also submitting this to Canon support, but I thought I would throw it out here on the POTN boards to see if any of our members may have experienced the same thing. I've been trying to research this on the web for months now and I can't find another instance of someone experiencing the exact same issue I'm having with TWO camera bodies. I have found similar issues with this error, which point to bent CF slot pins, but I can find no evidence of this in either camera.

● I own two Canon 5D Mark II camera bodies. I am experiencing the exact same problem equally with both cameras.
● The problem began occurring roughly around the same time with both camera bodies, about 4 months ago.
● The camera bodies were purchased more than a year apart from two different dealers.
● Here is the problem: after inserting a formatted memory card into either camera, the camera frequently returns an error of "Card not formatted. Format the card in this camera."
● The error occurs with any of my cards. I have Kingston, Lexar, and Silicone Power memory cards in both 4GB and 8GB capacities. The cards were purchased at different times from different vendors. They have varying usage as some are very new and some I have been using for a couple of years. The cards have only been used in these two camera bodies.
● The cards have always been formatted in either one of the camera bodies, never on a PC.
● Looking into the card slot using a flashlight, I cannot see any pins that appear to be bent or missing.
● I have found that doing the following anywhere from one to a dozen times will allow the camera to finally recognize the card: turning the power off, opening the door to the card slot, removing and reinserting the card, closing the door, and powering it back on. On some occasions, simply opening and closing the door to the card slot several times will allow the camera to recognize the card. Once the camera recognizes the card, it works fine as long as I don't change the lens or remove the card. Once I power it off, change the lens, then power it back on, I will sometimes get the "Card not formatted" error message again. The same if I remove the card and reinsert it.

What do you believe causes this problem to occur?

I am a wedding photographer and I need these camera bodies to fulfill contracted obligations and cannot be without them for an extended period of time. I am hoping for some solution to this issue that will allow me to continue using the cameras. Sending them in for repair is a very last resort that comes with bad consequences for me. Thank you for your help.

Post #1, Mar 21, 2011 14:25:49

2 X Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Sigma 15mm fisheye
www.garvinworks.comexternal link
www.elementimage.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When you pull your images off of the card, do you allow the software to delete the images? I'm wondering if something isnt changing the information on the cards.

Post #2, Mar 21, 2011 14:29:57

lannes
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
4,374 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Since the error started about the same time on both of the bodies, I suspect a card damaged the CF pins, did you get a new card around this time ?

It could be that this one card has below spec tolerances on one of the pin holes which potentially being smaller has pushed in one of the pins in the CF slot leading to the intermittent electrical connection.

Post #3, Mar 21, 2011 17:40:54

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

givtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

gonzogolf wrote in post #12063533external link
When you pull your images off of the card, do you allow the software to delete the images? I'm wondering if something isnt changing the information on the cards.

I don't let the software delete the images. But the problem also happens quite frequently with freshly formatted cards.

Post #4, Mar 21, 2011 18:08:55

2 X Canon 5D Mk II
Canon 70-200mm f/4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 35mm f/1.4L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, Sigma 15mm fisheye

givtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lannes wrote in post #12064766external link
Since the error started about the same time on both of the bodies, I suspect a card damaged the CF pins, did you get a new card around this time ?

It could be that this one card has below spec tolerances on one of the pin holes which potentially being smaller has pushed in one of the pins in the CF slot leading to the intermittent electrical connection.

I probably should check the pins again. I did buy 3 8gb cards with the brand name of Silicone Power which I had not previously heard of. It was probably not too long before the problem started. Thanks, and I'll look at that tonight.

Post #5, Mar 21, 2011 18:10:28

2 X Canon 5D Mk II

sponsored links
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've heard that off-brand cards can have narrow openings that can be rough on pins, whereas the tried-and-true Sandisk cards have well-beveled openings that let pins slide in, so this may be a factor.

The problem is whether actual damage has been done. Since all your cards now seem to be acting up, you may have pin trouble. You could try to get ahold of some Sandisk cards and see if they behave better, but if there is pin damage you may have a problem -- people have been able to un-bend pins, but I don't know how reliable that is.

Post #6, Mar 21, 2011 18:35:42

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

givtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I examined the card slot with a magnifying glass and LED flashlight. I couldn't see any evidence of bent pins. Also, sometimes I can get it to work by sliding the CF slot door back and forth until it recognizes the card, without removing the card itself. So... huh...

Post #7, Mar 24, 2011 15:52:23 as a reply to tonylong's post 2 days earlier.

2 X Canon 5D Mk II

technotish
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2011
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I can say with absolute assurance that you have a bent pen. I have a 20d, 40d & 50d. I was using a CF card reader and noticed that the pins were pulled when I removed the card. The next card I put in would not read. Loaded the card in the 50d----and then it started CARD NOT FORMATTED. I tried 3 other cards lexar, scandisk... Got the same error. When I looked into the slot a pin appeared to be bent so close to another that it could appear as one. I checked the 40d and saw the same, I check the 20d. I had not put any of the cards in it today and verified that I had bent pins in both the 40/50d's. I got a pair of scissors [which I don't recommend] and bent the pin back. I put in one of the card that wouldn't read b4 and immediately the card was recigonized. I repeated the same steps in the 40d and it now works as well.... Goodluck

Post #8, Mar 30, 2011 20:23:25

jarvj
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2011
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Folks, I'm a new member of this forum as of today. I just developed a similar problem and error message on my Canon 5D Mark II with three cards - (2) 16 gb, and (1) 32 gb cards (I believe all Lexar). Thanks for the tips re the bent pins and service requirements.

Are any of you are aware of issues with the 5D Mark II, this error message (cards need formatting - but not possible to do) and a connection with large capacity CF cards (16/32 gb) and firmware updating requirements?

Thanks for any help.

Post #9, Nov 07, 2011 13:27:17

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,293 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

More or less a common problem with the 5D Mk II. Go to http://www.tomguilmett​e.com ...2/comment-page-3#commentsexternal link and carefully read the whole article, then carefully re-examine your pins and see if you can determine cause and potential remedy.

Post #10, Nov 07, 2011 15:09:39

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,293 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

More at the following links...the last two links are a repair service in Vermont that will fix bent pins and include a sensor cleaning for $200.

http://forums.dpreview​.com ...age=37242066&change​mode=1external link

http://www.lezot.com ...anon-EOS-5D-repair/Detailexternal link

http://www.lezot.com/C​Fcards.htmexternal link

Post #11, Nov 07, 2011 15:32:32

sponsored links
Christina
Joined Jan 2007
633 posts
Pittsburgh
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm having this issue with my 5DII also. The strange thing is that I did have a bent pin back and August and sent the camera to Canon for repair. I've used it plenty since then, and just started to see this issue about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do as givtu said and reseated the card and opened the door repeatedly and now it is reading my card again.

Sounds like it's going to make another trip to Canon - maybe they didn't do the job right?

Post #12, Nov 19, 2011 09:07:50 as a reply to John from PA's post 11 days earlier.

Christina - Pittsburgh Wedding Photographerexternal link
Syncopated Picturesexternal link
http://christinamontem​urrophotography.com/bl​og/external link

givtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Christina wrote in post #13421844external link
I'm having this issue with my 5DII also. The strange thing is that I did have a bent pin back and August and sent the camera to Canon for repair. I've used it plenty since then, and just started to see this issue about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do as givtu said and reseated the card and opened the door repeatedly and now it is reading my card again.

Sounds like it's going to make another trip to Canon - maybe they didn't do the job right?

It might be a bent pin, but in 2 camera bodies at the same time? About 75% of the time I get a card read error if I just insert the card, but I found a workaround that works with about 100% efficiency: blow in the card slot. If I just blow a puff of air into the card slot before inserting the card, the camera recognizes it exactly as it should. Does that still sound like a bent pin? And my camera bodies aren't dirty, either. I keep them clean and packed away when not in use, and do my best to minimize dust getting into the innards. Since last year when this started, I have changed memory cards literally hundreds of times, and the scenario remains the same; if I blow into the slot, everything's fine. If I don't, most likely a card read error will occur.

Post #13, Nov 30, 2011 12:17:44

2 X Canon 5D Mk II

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
Joined Dec 2004
18,273 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

givtu wrote in post #12064926external link
I don't let the software delete the images. But the problem also happens quite frequently with freshly formatted cards.

When you say "freshly formatted cards" do you mean formatted in the camera or formatted in your computer?

Also, are you swapping cards back and forth between the two bodies?

For best results, the memory cards should be formatted in the camera each time pictures are downloaded. This insures the card is correctly formatted each time it is used. I find it works a lot better to have a dedicated set of cards for each camera I own.

Post #14, Nov 30, 2011 16:13:51 as a reply to givtu's post 3 hours earlier.

John

givtu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2008
131 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

JWright wrote in post #13475661external link
When you say "freshly formatted cards" do you mean formatted in the camera or formatted in your computer?

Also, are you swapping cards back and forth between the two bodies?

For best results, the memory cards should be formatted in the camera each time pictures are downloaded. This insures the card is correctly formatted each time it is used. I find it works a lot better to have a dedicated set of cards for each camera I own.

I do share cards between cameras, but I don't typically pop a card out and put it into the other body after I have started shooting photos and recording to it. In other words, once I have inserted a card, I'll shoot it all on one body. I format the cards in-camera. My usual routine is on the day of a wedding, I'll sit down with a stack of cards and format them all using one of my camera bodies (no one in particular), then put them in a card case for use as we need them throughout the day. I have mostly 8 gig cards with a couple 16's and several 4's. We typically shoot 60-80 gigs of photos in a wedding (~2000 - 3000 images), so we're constantly popping cards in and out, which makes the card read error thing more than just a minor inconvenience. It could mean the difference between capturing or missing an important moment. Fortunately, the fix I mentioned previously - though not optimal - has been a pretty successful bandaid, though the issue is still baffling.

Post #15, Dec 01, 2011 09:28:08

2 X Canon 5D Mk II

LIST NEARBY THREADS
17,980 views & 0 likes for this thread
Card not formatted error - 5D MK II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES