Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #16
Mike T.M.

Default Re: Needed Raw image thumbnailer and viewer for 64 bit Windows 7

i guess that makes sense, but why do they look normal when I download them to the internal hard drive?
Mike T.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #17
Blurr Cube
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollis_f View Post
DPP, LR, FastStone, Irfanview, etc, etc, are all very well. But they don't help if you want to see thumbnails in Windows Explorer or "File...Open" dialog boxes. That may not worry most people, but for some of us it is extremely useful.

When I'm using DeepSkyStacker for stacking multiple raw files I'll want to look at thumbnails to decide which files I want to stack. WIth a working codec I can just use 'File...Open' and the Windows dialog shows me the thumbnails. Without the codec I'll need to open Faststone, check the images, write down the filenames that I want to use, close Faststone, go back to DSS and select the files.
What? I thought all photographers can instanly remember and tell the difference between IMG_9999 and IMG _10000.

I hear you on being able to view thumbnails. My laptop OS is Win 7 (x64). It'd be nice to have the right codec, so I'm trying to live with DPP/LR since I can't program it myself.

I can switch to the (x32) version or other supported OS... nah.

Is this an issue with Apple/Mac OS?
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #18
digirebelva
Goldmember

Okay, maybe I am missing something here....I have a 64bit win 7 pro laptop & am perfectly able to download & view the raw files (thumbnails) through zoombrowserEX (6.5.1)...with no issues..
Am I missing something here..?
Its free & it works...and I can call DPP from within to edit the files...

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website | Fine Art America
digirebelva is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #19
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop

Yes, you're missing something. Read the original post again; especially paying attention to this portion: "I need an image thumbnailer and viewer to view Canon CR2 Raw file in Windows Explorer under Windows 7"

In other words the original poster wants to be able to preview his raw files in Windows Explorer. The only way to achieve that is to use a Raw codec and 64-bit codecs are not free. Zoombrower is another application to open; not eveyone wants to open an application to view thumbnails when it can be done easily in Windows Explorer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digirebelva View Post
Okay, maybe I am missing something here....I have a 64bit win 7 pro laptop & am perfectly able to download & view the raw files (thumbnails) through zoombrowserEX (6.5.1)...with no issues..
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #20
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digirebelva View Post
I'd say for most people I don't think you are missing anything, but some people seem to have special needs -- Hollis above has other software that he wants to invoke from within the browser, for example.

I can empathize, I just don't have the answer!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #21
Mike T.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylong View Post
I'd say for most people I don't think you are missing anything, but some people seem to have special needs -- Hollis above has other software that he wants to invoke from within the browser, for example.

I can empathize, I just don't have the answer!

Yes - I'm sorry. That is the original posters question, but mine is that I have DPP, CS4 and bridge and I get crazy weird lines when I try to view and work on them in any of the three viewers, and I don't know why?

They look fine in the camera and and not every image is "corrupt" when comparing to the other each viewer.

Does that make sense or should I start a new thread?
Mike T.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #22
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I understand your issue. I found it a pain when you are reviewing files in Windows and you don't get the thumbnail showing. It is even more of a pain when you then have to open another program to be able to view them. I don't think that this is what the OP was after.

I had the same issue and the solution that I went with is one form Adrfry.com. You have to be ready to invest up to 20.00 for this but it works great for me and does what it says it will do.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #23
digirebelva
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMagic View Post
not eveyone wants to open an application to view thumbnails when it can be done easily in Windows Explorer.
Well apparently not in this case it can't...but I do see the missed point...I should read a bit more deeply and not skim...

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website | Fine Art America
digirebelva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #24
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T.M. View Post
Yes - I'm sorry. That is the original posters question, but mine is that I have DPP, CS4 and bridge and I get crazy weird lines when I try to view and work on them in any of the three viewers, and I don't know why?

They look fine in the camera and and not every image is "corrupt" when comparing to the other each viewer.

Does that make sense or should I start a new thread?
Ah right, signals got crossed!

So, they look bad when they are on the external, not from the internal.

Take steps -- try a different connecting cable, try using a different computer port -- hopefully it's the cable, but you never know.

And, right away -- if you don't have a backup external drive, get one and back your stuff up!! Drives do fail in time!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2011 (Tue)   #25
Vladimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
I understand your issue. I found it a pain when you are reviewing files in Windows and you don't get the thumbnail showing. It is even more of a pain when you then have to open another program to be able to view them. I don't think that this is what the OP was after.

I had the same issue and the solution that I went with is one form Adrfry.com. You have to be ready to invest up to 20.00 for this but it works great for me and does what it says it will do.
I've been looking for this solution for awhile as well. Got my hopes up when I saw canon offered the codec but as others have mentioned, its only 32 bit

I tried out the link that ssim posted and this thing works PERFECT! In my eyes 20 bucks is a small price to pay for how much effort this saves me. As dumb as its sounds I shoot in RAW+Jpeg med. quality JUST so I have a thumbnail version right beside the raw so I can see what it is quickly without having to pointlessly fire up another program just to view them. With this I've been going back deleting my doubles of jpegs as I have no use for them.

+1 to a great product

EDIT: Follow up: I wasn't aware of this when I got it but it also allows you to view all your raw files in windows photo viewer, so now by opening the raw file I can even see a full size version of it. Its great.

Scrambling and Hiking Trip Reports in the Canadian Rockies

Last edited by Vladimer : 4th of April 2011 (Mon) at 23:46.
Vladimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2011 (Mon)   #26
JoYork
Goldmember

Just over a year ago I downloaded FastPictureViewer codec pack from these guys:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

It was free of charge. I bought a new laptop recently and discovered they're now charging $15 for it? Luckily I still have the file I originally downloaded for free, so I'll use that.

Flickr
JoYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2011 (Tue)   #27
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoYork View Post
... Luckily I still have the file I originally downloaded for free, so I'll use that.
Be careful with that installation file - you want to have multiple backup copies. I'd recommend storing a second copy of the file offsite, perhaps on my hard disk.
Old 5th of April 2011 (Tue)   #28
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

Hey, I'm glad I happened to run into this thread. I had a huge problem culling photos in Lightroom - it was just way to slow. Then I found Faststone Image Viewer and was excited about how quickly I could get through a big stack of images.

Well, I just tried FastPictureViewer and it blows the doors off of Faststone. I can browse through full-screen CR2 (RAW) files as fast as I can press the arrow keys. Unfortunately, deletions require confirmation (delete confirmation can be turned of in Faststone) but things move quickly enough that I don't think it will be a problem.

Now back to the OP's original problem. After installing FastPictureViewer I am now seeing thumbnails of CR2 files in Windows Explorer. I think I have a free older version but I won't know for sure until some time goes by (it's complicated). Anyway, after reading some discussions, it sounded like Versions earlier than 1.4 were available for free home use. I was able to find all of the previous versions on filehippo.com so I selected the 64 bit version of 1.3 and it's working fine.
Old 6th of April 2011 (Wed)   #29
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacawcacaw View Post
Now back to the OP's original problem. After installing FastPictureViewer I am now seeing thumbnails of CR2 files in Windows Explorer. I think I have a free older version but I won't know for sure until some time goes by (it's complicated). Anyway, after reading some discussions, it sounded like Versions earlier than 1.4 were available for free home use. I was able to find all of the previous versions on filehippo.com so I selected the 64 bit version of 1.3 and it's working fine.
I went to filehippo.com and found a list of versions including the FastPictureViewer 64-bit v1.3 http://www.filehippo.com/download_fa..._64/tech/8977/
and downloaded it. I installed it, and it mentioned that it had installed a 'trial'. The software took me to the author web site to register the software. I don't understand what 'trial' will do after what period of time, but for now the v1.3 is working fine on my Win 7 64-bit machine, to allow me to see CR2 thumbnails in Windows Explorer, similar to what I had once enabled on my old WinXP machine.

Last edited by Wilt : 6th of April 2011 (Wed) at 18:18.
Wilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of April 2011 (Thu)   #30
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
I don't understand what 'trial' will do
It's a trial to allow you to decide if you like it or not. If you like it then you should pay for it, morally if not legally.
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote