Why is there Out-of-Control Geek Talk at 2am! #0.8x8 (Enter at your own risk!)

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 26 Mar 2011 (Saturday) 02:25   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #12114482external link
hahaha wow!! I feel like 12 compared to you guys... and I probably had a much harsher life than some of you... just take everything positively :D

I am just a sarcastic cynical jerk, don't mind me ;)

Post #2461, Mar 29, 2011 02:37:39

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
Land of Short Skirts and Anime Fantasies
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #12114481external link
That one guy or girl is me :p My wife and I owe nothing on either one of our cars and is looking to buy a house at 24 :p

well before I hit 25, I got 3 stores, 2 cars, 3 delivery trucks, 5 motorcycles and a bunch of debts... :lol: can I be considered as hitting the ground running? :lol:

Post #2462, Mar 29, 2011 02:38:26

www.monk3y.comexternal link | My GEAR

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

monk3y wrote in post #12114488external link
well before I hit 25, I got 3 stores, 2 cars, 3 delivery trucks, 5 motorcycles and a bunch of debts... :lol: can I be considered as hitting the ground running? :lol:

Running from your debtors? :lol:

Post #2463, Mar 29, 2011 02:38:56

Will | WilliamLiuPhotography.​comexternal link | Gear List and Feedback | CPS Member | Have you Pre-Ordered Your 3Dx Yet? | HorusBennu Discussion | In honor of Uncle Steve, thanks for everything! 10-5-2011

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

krepta wrote in post #12114484external link
Mm, no. Not for power users. 2010 is an improvement over 2007, but still crap compared to 2003 for power users. All the fancy, pretty stuff is nonsense. It's nice that they made it more user friendly and accessible for casual users, but they didn't need to remove a lot of the features that power users enjoyed, such as the ability to create custom toolbars, and many functionalities of VBA. 2007 created a lot of problems for us at work, reducing efficient significantly. Some tasks that used to be done in one or two clicks/steps now require 5-10 steps clicks. We had to adjust the way we work and I've had to build more macros for my team to improve our production time.

Just like with Vista, our company now acknowledges going Office 2007 was a mistake, but it's too late. And yes, we're skipping 2010 just like we're skipping Windows 7. :rolleyes:

I hate pretty much all versions of office for word processing, Except for the VERY old ones...

I used to use Claris Works on my PC on Win 3.1, and i liked it, and i also really like iwork, But I cannot stand Office, At all

Post #2464, Mar 29, 2011 02:39:01

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 5D Mark III, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS
Deviantartexternal link
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!)external link

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Steven, every time I see your avatar, it makes me want to go take pictures of monkeys... then I realize I live in northern California...

Post #2465, Mar 29, 2011 02:39:45

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

KenjiS wrote in post #12114490external link
I hate pretty much all versions of office for word processing, Except for the VERY old ones...

I used to use Claris Works on my PC on Win 3.1, and i liked it, and i also really like iwork, But I cannot stand Office, At all

Lotus Notes FTW! :lol:

Post #2466, Mar 29, 2011 02:40:19

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

monk3y
Totally Saturated
Joined Aug 2009
46,087 posts
Land of Short Skirts and Anime Fantasies
[MORE/SHARE]

krepta wrote in post #12114484external link
Mm, no. Not for power users. 2010 is an improvement over 2007, but still crap compared to 2003 for power users. All the fancy, pretty stuff is nonsense. It's nice that they made it more user friendly and accessible for casual users, but they didn't need to remove a lot of the features that power users enjoyed, such as the ability to create custom toolbars, and many functionalities of VBA. 2007 created a lot of problems for us at work, reducing efficient significantly. Some tasks that used to be done in one or two clicks/steps now require 5-10 steps clicks. We had to adjust the way we work and I've had to build more macros for my team to improve our production time.

Just like with Vista, our company now acknowledges going Office 2007 was a mistake, but it's too late. And yes, we're skipping 2010 just like we're skipping Windows 7. :rolleyes:

ahh I find 2007 to be easier in excel... I tend to use a lot of excel but very basic...some pivot tables and data entering but that's about it

themadman wrote in post #12114487external link
I am just a sarcastic cynical jerk, don't mind me ;)

hahahaha... :lol:

Post #2467, Mar 29, 2011 02:40:35

www.monk3y.comexternal link | My GEAR

themadman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2009
18,860 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Kenji, this has been bothering me for a while... your sig has Deviantart spelled wrong...

Post #2468, Mar 29, 2011 02:40:43

krepta
I swear I'm Ken Rockwell!
Joined Sep 2007
8,482 posts
Irvine, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

FJ LOVE wrote in post #12114472external link
yes i'm liking it now, but my bookmarks are still on the left side :confused:

It's odd you don't have a choice of placement by default. I like my bookmarks on the top, just below the address bar.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12114474external link
And then there was that one guy or girl who really hit the ground running and had their car paid off and a house before they were 25! That's the kind of focus I really wish I'd have found earlier in life. Of course it didn't help me much that I went into broadcasting which truly is "High School with Money!" :rolleyes:

I paid off my car and student loans last year! But still no house, just an apartment for now. I'm definitely trying to be responsible in terms of money because my parents were more the kind of people who were a bit careless.

themadman wrote in post #12114481external link
That one guy or girl is me :p My wife and I owe nothing on either one of our cars and is looking to buy a house at 24 :p

Wow, lucky!

Post #2469, Mar 29, 2011 02:41:22

Alex | flickrexternal link | Gear & Feedback | Food!external link

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2006
20,474 posts
barrie ont. ca
[MORE/SHARE]

krepta wrote in post #12114466external link
We see a lot more apathy today, I think.

I was there. In college I studied what I enjoyed (Psychology), but didn't know what to do for my life. I didn't try very hard or have any goals. I just wanted to have fun all the time. I think that's one reason I changed so drastically to being serious most of the time since graduating (six years ago). I've had my share of being irresponsible and living only in the present already, and now I want to think for the future.

if your young and are thinking of your future buy a house or condo, nothing makes you direct your attention like mortgage ;)

Post #2470, Mar 29, 2011 02:41:31

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #12114496external link
Kenji, this has been bothering me for a while... your sig has Deviantart spelled wrong...

No it doesnt :)

Post #2471, Mar 29, 2011 02:41:36

Deviantartexternal link

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

themadman wrote in post #12114496external link

Whoopsie... :lol:

(Damn, should have screen cap'd it!)

Post #2472, Mar 29, 2011 02:41:42

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

KenjiS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2008
20,002 posts
Buffalo, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12114493external link
Lotus Notes FTW! :lol:

I should fire up my old computer with Clarisworks on it..

I'll show you all what an OLD computer is..

Post #2473, Mar 29, 2011 02:42:26

Deviantartexternal link

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

So when assembling everything to build a computer, do you order things in a particular order or just bite the bullet and order everything at once?

Having never done it before, I'm unclear as to the normal timeline of a build. One full day? Two full days? A week with breaks so you don't kill your spouse? :shock:

Post #2474, Mar 29, 2011 02:44:00

Jay

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2006
20,474 posts
barrie ont. ca
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #12114474external link
And then there was that one guy or girl who really hit the ground running and had their car paid off and a house before they were 25! That's the kind of focus I really wish I'd have found earlier in life. Of course it didn't help me much that I went into broadcasting which truly is "High School with Money!" :rolleyes:

Ha! Didn't think of that idea...

Jay i had a house by 27 and by 37 my ex wife had a house and i had to start all over again

it was not for a lack of trying i fell behind but rather a lack of planning ;)

Post #2475, Mar 29, 2011 02:44:33

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
131,117 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is there Out-of-Control Geek Talk at 2am! #0.8x8 (Enter at your own risk!)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES