Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of March 2011 (Sun)   #1
GCODE

Default Canon Trade In Program

I have heard about the Canon Loyalty trade in program, but, I am still not 100% sure how it works. I am looking into getting rid of my T2i and getting a 7D, and going through Canons trade in program and getting a refurb 7D sounds good to me. How would I go about it? And what would the trade in value on a T2i get?
Old 27th of March 2011 (Sun)   #2
Ephur

Default Re: Canon Trade In Program

Hello, there's a big FAQ here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=948785

To summarize, the program lets you trade in a broken camera for a discounted camera. 20% off current refurbished prices on select bodies (presumably ones they have enough stock of). You're likely better off selling the T2i and applying that to the cost of a new or used one.
Ephur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #3
PixelPusher

Keep your T2i as your second camera and find an old camera to trade in. I was planning on turning in my 400D (Rebel XTi) and found out that my ancient "film" camera Rebel G could be applied for the same amount. Now I have a decent backup to my new 7D! You might be able to buy on on ebay or find a broken one for $20. That would be my plan...

SmugMug
PixelPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of March 2011 (Mon)   #4
mpphotography

When I called a few months ago, the rep asked me how my camera was broken - you'll probably want to keep/sell your good camera and like Allscape said, find a cheap broken one to trade in. I suggest going to a thrift store and finding a cheap film camera or powershot instead of ditching a good camera.

While the program is a great idea, I was unpleasantly surprised at the very slight discount for the program versus buying a refurb camera straight from the Canon website. The rep told me to keep an eye out on the site for new listings, so it's clearly the same product pool for the trade-in program.
mpphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2011 (Tue)   #5
PixelPusher

My Rebel G trade-in was still in working condition. The rep I talked to said that it was going to be for the recycling program, didn't matter working or not. Just find an old camera.

Also it seems like each rep has a different story. My 7D refurb was from a dealer overstock, returned new. What timing!!!! So for me it was at least $300 off or more for a "new" camera. Maybe I got lucky.

SmugMug
PixelPusher is offline   Reply With Quote