Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 28 Mar 2011 (Monday) 07:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Interested in a TT Swing-o-Matic. Do you like yours?

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 28, 2011 07:02 |  #1

Does anyone have one of these? How do you like it? I was thinking about the Think Tank SOM 20 for my use. A lightweight carry on shoulder with reasonable access to gear while going to zoos or general shooting sojourns.

sponsored links
Savas ­ K
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 29, 2011 17:18 |  #2

Think Tank shows a woman carrying a 20 and it does not look huge on her. She withdraws a body with a 70-200 and starts shooting.

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Perth, Australia
Mar 29, 2011 17:58 |  #3

I personally don't like the "boxy shape" but I guess that would maximise load capacity and make it easier to access from the side.

For a walkabout sling I use the Case Logic SLRC-205, but that might be not big enough for your purposes.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Savas ­ K
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
Mar 30, 2011 02:44 |  #4

Case Logic makes a good case and it's got good reviews. Interesting in that it's like a belt pack in appearance, worn sling-like. The opposite of the simple lines of Think Tank's version of a sling. I see what you mean about capacity.

or8it
30 posts
Joined Aug 2006
UK
Mar 31, 2011 12:42 as a reply to Savas K's post |  #5

I've done a review of mine here.external link

CANON 5D MK3, EF 24-70mm 2.8 L, EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L II, EX580 II

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Mar 31, 2011 12:54 |  #6

or8it wrote in post #12131798external link
I've done a review of mine here.external link

Requires registration

or8it
30 posts
Joined Aug 2006
UK
Mar 31, 2011 14:13 |  #7

mike_d wrote in post #12131890external link
Requires registration

I'll have a go at posting it here.

CANON 5D MK3, EF 24-70mm 2.8 L, EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L II, EX580 II

Lifeinpictures
220 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Mar 31, 2011 15:24 |  #8

I have the sling-o-matic 30. I wrote the first review for it on think tank's website.
Here's what I could fit in it : 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.2 II and a 5D with a grip attached to a 70-200 2.8 is II. This included the hoods attached reversed. I also attached the Gitzo 1541T in it's traveller bag using the straps that came with the slingomatic. All this weighed 25 lbs in a slim profile. This was important for two reasons :
A. In this age of airline fees for baggage, the overheads get filled up pretty fast. In which case the bag has to fit under the seat. I will not check my camera equipment in. I had to do this one, where my airport international did fit under the seat.
B. Some airlines institute strict weight limits for carry on luggage.
So, how did this bag do on my annual vacation trip to Hawaii? It passed with flying colors!
It greatly reduced my stress levels knowing that I did not have to worry regardless of when I was seated. In addition Hawaiian airlines weighs carry on bags on the way back from Hawaii to San Francisco (but not the other way around). The bag with lenses and all made it on the weight category.
I decided to hand carry my arca Swiss Z1 Ballhead in a lowepro lens case 1S and then clip it on to the handle of the slingomatic once they finished weighing the bag.
So, it worked well as a transporter bag.
As far as usability, it was mixed. With the configuration I mentioned it left me with sore shoulders even after alternating it. So, I landed up only taking the lenses I needed when I went out for the day and leaving the rest in the room safe. This worked well.
Working from the bag however was a pleasure. It swings around quickly and puts the opening right where you need in. I could easily pull out the camera and use it quickl. It also provided a stable platform to work out of and change lenses.
So, there you have it, this bag came pretty close to being "the one", but not quite.
I have brought a luggage cart for airline/ airport travel and in transit to save my back and shoulders.
And I am trying to modify it to double as a backpack on hikes/long walks.

sponsored links

1,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interested in a TT Swing-o-Matic. Do you like yours?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.