Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 02 Apr 2011 (Saturday) 16:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recent 7-10 inch tablet for field monitor?

blindshooter
171 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tampa
Apr 02, 2011 16:23 |  #1

Has anyone successfully rigged one of the many recently released tablets for use as a monitor on their hdslr rig? I ask because the value of a working, thin, light and high resolution monitor as a external monitor seems to be very high considering that the tablet would already have the long lasting battery built in and the weight for a decent 7 inch tablet would be fairly low. I'd think the hardest part would be in finding a tablet that accepts video in and finding a respectable way to mount the tablet on the camera or a bracket near the camera.

Just wondering if something like the Viewsonic Viewpad 7 or a Dell Streak 7 could be a decent solution to hdslr viewing/shooting.

sponsored links
Terjay
448 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Ylöjärvi, Finland
Apr 03, 2011 00:45 |  #2

None of those have a video in port.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Apr 03, 2011 19:56 as a reply to Terjay's post |  #3

The ipad2 supposedly has vid in but not hd and probably requires a not-yet-made dongle and hackery. I agree it seems like a good multitasker though.

Gear List
David Nicholsexternal link - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

blindshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Tampa
Apr 03, 2011 23:20 as a reply to Chippy569's post |  #4

Seems like the better option may be a portable dvd player.

I was eyeing the Sony CLM-V55 5 inch lcd monitor for $399.00 but aftering adding a battery and charger, the total is going to be around $450-500. This monitor has a resolution of 800x480.

I saw a Sony 9 inch LCD portable dvd player for $99.00 and this includes a 7 hr lithium ion battery. The only real issue is how the dvd player can be mounted to the dslr bracket. This player's resolution is also 800x480 so the picture won't be as sharp, having a larger screen but at 25% of the price of the smaller one may be worth it.

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Innsbruck, Austria
Apr 04, 2011 03:03 |  #5

Here you go, i'm in the process of finding out if its possible, ePad is already in the mail:

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​019884

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Montreal, Canada
Apr 04, 2011 10:46 |  #6

Interesting, i was eyeing the Adam tablet for this reason in particular the hdmi, which they answered an email of mine saying it could take both in/out, and with the PixelQi screen, it would also be useful in daylight.

Havent had the funds to try it though.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.caexternal link - FanPageexternal link
-Montreal based Photography.

Trey ­ T
869 posts
Joined May 2009
Texas
Apr 05, 2011 20:34 |  #7

it would be cool if the epad works as a field monitor

10 Most overpaid jobexternal link

sponsored links

4,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recent 7-10 inch tablet for field monitor?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.