FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 04 Apr 2011 (Monday) 06:42   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Badgerballs
Joined Jan 2005
462 posts
East Sussex, England
[MORE/SHARE]

I do quite a lot of low light and night photography. One irritation is sodium light pollution. I have heard that there is a sodium filter available but I cannot seem to find a Cokin p type to do this. Any users cracked this one?

Post #1, Apr 04, 2011 06:42:02

"Try shooting badgers, creep up in the dark, they hear the shutter, the flash goes off, they run, and what's the shot... "Badgerballs" !!!!
7D..G12..Sekonic L758-D, 2x600EX-RT, YN-E3-RT and a bag that's far too heavy.
Tip: Good photographers don't show their bad photos.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
GPFocussed
Joined Jan 2009
580 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Interesting topic, subscribed. I don't do a lot of night photography but I typically adjust my white balance until I get a desired effect.

Post #2, Apr 04, 2011 07:02:39

[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/Gear List"][URL="http://pho​tography-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=9541640&postcou​nt=2194"]Gear List

xhack
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,281 posts
Edinburgh, Lothian
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a custom WB for sodium light saved on most cards. Subjectively, I found 12 per cent gives more accurate rendition than 18 per cent. It's not a perfect solution, but gives you a start which you can further tweak in PP

Post #3, Apr 04, 2011 07:04:16

~ Wallace
Gear List

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,852 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Badgerballs wrote in post #12153708external link
I do quite a lot of low light and night photography. One irritation is sodium light pollution. I have heard that there is a sodium filter available but I cannot seem to find a Cokin p type to do this. Any users cracked this one?

What would the filter you have in mind do for you?

Anything that you can do with filters for "white balance correction" can be done more easily in software when working with digital images - especially if you shoot in RAW mode.

Sodium vapor lights, as well as other types of gas-discharge lighting, do not have a full spectrum of colors in the light. It's impossible to get all the colors in the subject (which might be seen in daylight or with flash lighting) to show properly when the subject is illuminated with sodium vapor lighting.

Post #4, Apr 04, 2011 07:31:23

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Badgerballs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
462 posts
East Sussex, England
[MORE/SHARE]

SkipD wrote in post #12153856external link
What would the filter you have in mind do for you?

Anything that you can do with filters for "white balance correction" can be done more easily in software when working with digital images - especially if you shoot in RAW mode.

Sodium vapor lights, as well as other types of gas-discharge lighting, do not have a full spectrum of colors in the light. It's impossible to get all the colors in the subject (which might be seen in daylight or with flash lighting) to show properly when the subject is illuminated with sodium vapor lighting.

Well I need to research this more as the information I saw was on an Astronomy program. A sodium filter apparently prevents the sodium wavelengths from entering the CMOS much the such as infra red filters. White balance adjustment will only change the colour cast to match your required preference. I am looking to remove the sodium light waves completely.

Post #5, Apr 04, 2011 07:37:15

"Try shooting badgers, creep up in the dark, they hear the shutter, the flash goes off, they run, and what's the shot... "Badgerballs" !!!!

sponsored links
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,605 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

The problem with adding a filter in front of your lens is you can lose some image quality.. Also,, with any colour correction filter you will lose light entering your lens, and with lowlight photography, you need all the light you can muster..

This was a huge problem with film photography where to subject was lit by artificial light.. A 80A filter was usually used to convert tungsten light to daylight. An 80A has a filter factor of 4, which will reduce light transmission by 2 stops..

Today's digital photography is much easier where white balance adjustments can be done accurately either in camera or during post processing..

Just to add,, sodium vapour lighting has and always be a pain in the arse for photography..

Post #6, Apr 04, 2011 07:50:05 as a reply to Badgerballs's post 12 minutes earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Badgerballs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
462 posts
East Sussex, England
[MORE/SHARE]

When you take a picture on long exposure and have sodium lights around I have noticed you get a large haze appear around it. This is obviously where the light is being absorbed into the dust etc. The theory supports that if you can filter out the wavelength apparently 589nm them the lights would in my mind appear more defined and easier to remove in PP. I found this interesting link
http://www.astronexus.​com/node/4external link

Post #7, Apr 04, 2011 08:09:44

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,419 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Badgerballs wrote in post #12153866external link
Well I need to research this more as the information I saw was on an Astronomy program. A sodium filter apparently prevents the sodium wavelengths from entering the CMOS much the such as infra red filters. White balance adjustment will only change the colour cast to match your required preference. I am looking to remove the sodium light waves completely.

Yes, there are astronomy filters that will remove the sodium light. I've no idea what effect they might have on ordinary photography. As long as your scene had alternative lighting then it might work.

I've always fancied trying one of these Astronomik filtersexternal link. Instead of going on the front of the lens they go behind the lens, in front of the sensor.

Post #8, Apr 04, 2011 08:09:49

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

Badgerballs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
462 posts
East Sussex, England
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #12153971external link
Yes, there are astronomy filters that will remove the sodium light. I've no idea what effect they might have on ordinary photography. As long as your scene had alternative lighting then it might work.

I've always fancied trying one of these Astronomik filtersexternal link. Instead of going on the front of the lens they go behind the lens, in front of the sensor.

Wow that looks interesting I will have to have a read of it. Yet another avenue of photography to explore. They are endless;)

Post #9, Apr 04, 2011 09:21:43

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,419 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Badgerballs wrote in post #12154325external link
Wow that looks interesting I will have to have a read of it. Yet another avenue of photography to explore. They are endless;)

Well, I gave in and ordered one - £110 from Rother Valleyexternal link.

It does muck up the colours. Here's a colour chart without the filter -

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/LP%20Filter-3.jpg

And with the filter...

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/LP%20Filter-1.jpg

Then with the filter and the white-balance set in Lightroom.

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/LP%20Filter-2.jpg

It looks OK with the WB set properly.

I'll try to get some shots taken tonight to see how it does with light pollution.

Post #10, Apr 07, 2011 07:26:54

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

calypsob
Joined Jan 2012
943 posts
Flowery branch georgia
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #12175388external link
Well, I gave in and ordered one - £110 from Rother Valleyexternal link.

It does muck up the colours. Here's a colour chart without the filter -

QUOTED IMAGE

And with the filter...

QUOTED IMAGE

Then with the filter and the white-balance set in Lightroom.

QUOTED IMAGE

It looks OK with the WB set properly.

I'll try to get some shots taken tonight to see how it does with light pollution.

Hey so did you do a follow up to this? I would really like to see pictures, I know the thread is kinda old but very beneficial for me at the moment.

Post #11, Apr 28, 2012 22:32:28

Wes
-----------
Gear: Canon T3i, Full Spectrum Canon T2i, Asahi SMC Pentax 28mm f2.8, Asahi SMC 50mm f1.4, Leitz Wetzlar Summicron Elmarit R 35mm & 135mm. Leitz Wetzlar Summicron 50mm.

sponsored links
AntonLargiader
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,819 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

hollis_f wrote in post #12175388external link
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Interesting to see the orange being removed. Orange becomes red, but yellow becomes orange.

Post #12, Apr 29, 2012 08:25:53

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,788 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sodium Lighting Filter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES