Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Kids & Family
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2011 (Sun)   #1
deviousz28

Default Son pitching baseball in the yard OCF X2

I blew the dust off my flashes, and found my stands while my son was pitching into a net after school in the front yard.

Thanks Scott

IMG_7271JSK-2 by deviousz28, on Flickr

IMG_7272JSK-4 by deviousz28, on Flickr

IMG_7272JSK-3 by deviousz28, on Flickr
Old 10th of April 2011 (Sun)   #2
10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"

Default Re: Son pitching baseball in the yard OCF X2

Not digging the HDR effect. Nice shots otherwise

10megapixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of April 2011 (Sun)   #3
deviousz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10megapixel View Post
Not digging the HDR effect. Nice shots otherwise
I never have tried a HDR effect, not sure I know how to to do it. All I added was detail, sharpen, and did a little dodge to the hair. The shots below are the before resized jpegs of the original SOOC raw images.

IMG_7272WEB by deviousz28, on Flickr

IMG_7271WEB by deviousz28, on Flickr

Last edited by deviousz28 : 10th of April 2011 (Sun) at 21:44.
deviousz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of April 2011 (Sun)   #4
CanonRebellion

I like the effect!
CanonRebellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #5
Ephur

I keep looking at them over and over. He looks almost cut & pasted on there!
Old 15th of April 2011 (Fri)   #6
edge100

Shutter speeds and/or flash duration are too low to freeze the action. Look at the motion blur in the ball and his hand.

There are a few ways to get around this:

1. If you're using a Speedlite, use lower power and open the aperture/jack the ISO to compensate. Lower power = shorter flash duration = more action stopping. If you're using a studio strobe (other that the PCB Einstein or similar), use higher power to give shorter flash duration.

2. Use High-Speed Sync with fast shutter speeds, and open the aperture/jack the ISO to compensate for power loss.

3. Use continuous light with faster shutter speeds.

If you can't do any of these, then at least use rear-curtain sync so that the motion appears behind the ball/hand, rather than in front.
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans
edge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2011 (Fri)   #7
Dano_nav

edge 100 nailed it. Higher shutter speeds and larger aperature would help to freeze the action and blur out the background. Keep shooting....
Dano_nav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of April 2011 (Fri)   #8
deviousz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonRebellion View Post
I like the effect!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephur View Post
I keep looking at them over and over. He looks almost cut & pasted on there!
Yes he does, not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge100 View Post
Shutter speeds and/or flash duration are too low to freeze the action. Look at the motion blur in the ball and his hand.

There are a few ways to get around this:

1. If you're using a Speedlite, use lower power and open the aperture/jack the ISO to compensate. Lower power = shorter flash duration = more action stopping. If you're using a studio strobe (other that the PCB Einstein or similar), use higher power to give shorter flash duration.

2. Use High-Speed Sync with fast shutter speeds, and open the aperture/jack the ISO to compensate for power loss.

3. Use continuous light with faster shutter speeds.

If you can't do any of these, then at least use rear-curtain sync so that the motion appears behind the ball/hand, rather than in front.
Hey thanks for the tips. All I have is two bare cheap Yongnuo YN460's. with their RF TX/RX setup. If I go any higher than 1/200 I get a band of black on the photo. It was extremely bright outside so I had the camera set iso100 1/200 and I think f22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano_nav View Post
edge 100 nailed it. Higher shutter speeds and larger aperature would help to freeze the action and blur out the background. Keep shooting....
Will do.
Old 16th of April 2011 (Sat)   #9
edge100

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousz28 View Post

Hey thanks for the tips. All I have is two bare cheap Yongnuo YN460's. with their RF TX/RX setup. If I go any higher than 1/200 I get a band of black on the photo. It was extremely bright outside so I had the camera set iso100 1/200 and I think f22.
What flash power? The key to stopping action with flash is to have as short a flash duration as possible. With speedlites, durations get shorter as power decreases.

My advice then would be to:

- shoot at as low a flash power as possible...1/64 or 1/128
- this may mean opening the aperture significantly, and/or jacking the iso, in order to get the right flash exposure
- because you've opened the aperture or jacked the iso (or both), the ambinet exposure may be off. In this case, you have no choice but to shoot later in the day when the ambient fits more closely to your flash exposure
- 1/200 on the shutter is fine (and is as high as you can go anyway), as long as you have very short shutter speeds AND low enough ambient exposure

Do your speedlites support ETTL and high speed sync?
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans
edge100 is offline   Reply With Quote