Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #1
chartist10

Default Saving photos at 300 DPI

This maybe way too obvious for everyone on this board, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Magazines, newspapers, yearbooks etc. want 300 DPI photos. I found out recently that I was saving my photos at 72 DPI and the high school year book said that when they went to process them at 300 DPI, the photos degraded. I'm a new shooter so this was news to me. I bring it up only so others don't make the same mistake.
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #2
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Saving photos at 300 DPI

The print quality is determined by the resolution size of your original file. What DPI setting you save the file under has no bearing on the image quality of the print. The question is that what was the resolution size of your original file?? You can save a 800 pixel file using 300 dpi setting. However, you will not get a magazine print quality if you decide to print the file to 8x10.
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #3
Red Dog

The guys I shoot for, newspapers and magazines specify 1500px wide at 300dpi. Just set this in photoshop as your crop settings and let the software do the rest. Your standard dpi from the camera will be 72dpi, but don't worry about that. Just crop and save at those settings and it'll be fine.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #4
karobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
The guys I shoot for, newspapers and magazines specify 1500px wide at 300dpi. Just set this in photoshop as your crop settings and let the software do the rest. Your standard dpi from the camera will be 72dpi, but don't worry about that. Just crop and save at those settings and it'll be fine.

Exactly!!!!!!!
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #5
cstewart

Shoot and process RAW images and then you can export to whatever JPEG size and resolution is required by editors.
cstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2011 (Wed)   #6
bps
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartist10 View Post
This maybe way too obvious for everyone on this board, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Magazines, newspapers, yearbooks etc. want 300 DPI photos. I found out recently that I was saving my photos at 72 DPI and the high school year book said that when they went to process them at 300 DPI, the photos degraded. I'm a new shooter so this was news to me. I bring it up only so others don't make the same mistake.
This is the photo sharing section for Sports. Do you have a picture to share?
bps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of April 2011 (Thu)   #7
chartist10

Thanks for the comment Bps. I share many pictures. This, however, is an important topic for those who shoot "sport" pictures and want to save them in the proper way. I'm sorry you do not think it is pertinent.
Old 14th of April 2011 (Thu)   #8
jb_browneyes
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't crop EVERY image I shoot, and somewhere on this thread I asked this same question the answer I got went something like this.

write an action (I named mine 300dpi ) that goes...... Image>Image size> uncheck 'resample image' and change the dpi to 300>ok

now I just put my card in my pc find it in bridge, and run the action on import.