FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 13 Apr 2011 (Wednesday) 12:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

chartist10
Joined Jan 2011
40 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

This maybe way too obvious for everyone on this board, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Magazines, newspapers, yearbooks etc. want 300 DPI photos. I found out recently that I was saving my photos at 72 DPI and the high school year book said that when they went to process them at 300 DPI, the photos degraded. I'm a new shooter so this was news to me. I bring it up only so others don't make the same mistake.

Post #1, Apr 13, 2011 12:35:45

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,045 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

The print quality is determined by the resolution size of your original file. What DPI setting you save the file under has no bearing on the image quality of the print. The question is that what was the resolution size of your original file?? You can save a 800 pixel file using 300 dpi setting. However, you will not get a magazine print quality if you decide to print the file to 8x10.

Post #2, Apr 13, 2011 12:55:19

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Red ­ Dog
Joined Feb 2007
785 posts
N Ireland
[MORE/SHARE]

The guys I shoot for, newspapers and magazines specify 1500px wide at 300dpi. Just set this in photoshop as your crop settings and let the software do the rest. Your standard dpi from the camera will be 72dpi, but don't worry about that. Just crop and save at those settings and it'll be fine.

Post #3, Apr 13, 2011 13:42:49

www.portadownfc.co.ukexternal link
Canon 1D MKIII +7D + 40D - Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 & 120-300 f2.8
My Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/external link

karobinson
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
1,205 posts
Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

Red Dog wrote in post #12214973external link
The guys I shoot for, newspapers and magazines specify 1500px wide at 300dpi. Just set this in photoshop as your crop settings and let the software do the rest. Your standard dpi from the camera will be 72dpi, but don't worry about that. Just crop and save at those settings and it'll be fine.

Exactly!!!!!!!

Post #4, Apr 13, 2011 13:46:12

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

cstewart
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,829 posts
Victoria, B.C. Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Shoot and process RAW images and then you can export to whatever JPEG size and resolution is required by editors.

Post #5, Apr 13, 2011 14:47:08

Please Check Out My Work at:
Independent Sports Newsexternal link -- Sports Shooterexternal link --Web Siteexternal link -- Facebookexternal link -- iStockphoto.comexternal link--Twitterexternal link
Gear: 1DX; 1D4; 70D gripped; 40D gripped; ; EFS10-22; EFS 17-55; EF 16-35; EF 135; EF 70-200 II; EF 300; EF 1.4X II Extender, 580 EX II Flash

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
bps
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2007
6,738 posts
Northern California
[MORE/SHARE]

chartist10 wrote in post #12214429external link
This maybe way too obvious for everyone on this board, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Magazines, newspapers, yearbooks etc. want 300 DPI photos. I found out recently that I was saving my photos at 72 DPI and the high school year book said that when they went to process them at 300 DPI, the photos degraded. I'm a new shooter so this was news to me. I bring it up only so others don't make the same mistake.

This is the photo sharing section for Sports. Do you have a picture to share?

Post #6, Apr 13, 2011 21:18:11

My Gear List

chartist10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2011
40 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the comment Bps. I share many pictures. This, however, is an important topic for those who shoot "sport" pictures and want to save them in the proper way. I'm sorry you do not think it is pertinent.

Post #7, Apr 14, 2011 00:12:18 as a reply to bps's post 2 hours earlier.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM

jb_browneyes
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
2,107 posts
New Mexico
[MORE/SHARE]

Red Dog wrote in post #12214973external link

I don't crop EVERY image I shoot, and somewhere on this thread I asked this same question the answer I got went something like this.

write an action (I named mine 300dpi ) that goes...... Image>Image size> uncheck 'resample image' and change the dpi to 300>ok

now I just put my card in my pc find it in bridge, and run the action on import.

Post #8, Apr 14, 2011 00:25:56

Jennifer
I only answer to THE highest authority

gear and websiteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,512 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saving photos at 300 DPI
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES