FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 18 Apr 2011 (Monday) 22:44   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Sdiver2489
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
2,748 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Looking to get a smaller bag to take around the parks with me. I've been plenty of times and don't have kids...just a wife so no worries about the camera interfering with juggling them around.

Anyway, I currently have a 7 million dollar home which I "upgraded" from a 6 million dollar home which grew too small for my collection of lenses. 6 million dollar home was difficult to get 3 lenses in with body mounting one of them. 7 million has room for 3 + 1 depending on size.

Around Disney I'll probably bring a new combo of lenses depending on the day. We'll be there a full week so plenty of time. All I'm looking to bring is the body+lens and an extra lens and some accessories(polarizer, cards, etc.).

Later in the week I may bust out the tripod if we have some free time and I want to take some night photography pictures I've always wanted to take.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 123 and the 3N1 from Kata (are these the same thing? They sure look it). Probably the 10 series as I don't want something that big...just enough for an extra lens or so as I mentioned above.

In addition, I also like the Retrospective 10 from Thinktank. It appears to be about the same size as my ol' 6 million dollar home but a little "softer" and has a bit more room for storage.

Looking for opinions on these two options. Is the 123/3N1 easy to sling and convenient? Is a shoulder bag bad for a long day at Disney? What say you!?

Post #1, Apr 18, 2011 22:44:44

Please visit my Flickrexternal link and leave a comment!

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Robertogee
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have (and love) both the Kata 3N1-22 and the H-16. The 3N1 holds a LOT. I use it on extended shoots where I need "everything" or for long trips where I "might" need "everything." ("Everything" meaning a couple of more lenses, extra camera battery and charger, an additional Speedlite, etc.) Both have "raincoats" and offer great gear protection.

The H-16 is my all-time favorite Grab-n-Go bag. It holds: Camera (on Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap) with lens, plus two more lenses, plus 580 EXII, plus wireless shutter release, plus 3' ETTL cord, plus extra batteries, plus CF cards, plus microfiber cloths, plus bounce cards and gels in back sleeve.

It's easy to sling around behind me, or on the side or in front in crowds. Instant top-load access to camera. Totally comfortable all day. Easy to take off and place in restaurant chair and drop strap over back of chair.

Basically, I never leave home without the H-16.

With the 3N1, I really think about whether I will need all that it holds or not. Yes, it functions quite well as a sling, with quick access to the camera. I find it amazingly comfortable as a backpack -- either in full backpack mode or criss-cross mode for quick conversion from backpack to sling.

Post #2, Apr 18, 2011 23:19:35

EOS 7D | EOS 40D | EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon 10-22 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 28-135mm | Tamron 17-35mm | Tamron 28-200mm LD | Tamron 70-300mm | 580 EX II | 430 EX II

stax
Joined Aug 2009
731 posts
Oakland
[MORE/SHARE]

I wouldn't want to carry my Retro 10 all day. It's a heavy bag. I'd take my think tank changeup, which is a great smaller bag for a two lens set up and can be worn in multiple configurations (shoulder, waist and chestpack). For all day outings requiring lost of walking, I usually wear the changeup around my waist with one lens in it, and carry the camera w/ lens using a Blackrapid R strap. Super comfy and makes swapping lenses a breeze. It's almost like carrying no gear at all. Seriously.

Post #3, Apr 18, 2011 23:27:01 as a reply to Robertogee's post 7 minutes earlier.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/staxnet/external link

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=865770

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
2,748 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Robertogee wrote in post #12250110external link
I have (and love) both the Kata 3N1-22 and the H-16. The 3N1 holds a LOT. I use it on extended shoots where I need "everything" or for long trips where I "might" need "everything." ("Everything" meaning a couple of more lenses, extra camera battery and charger, an additional Speedlite, etc.) Both have "raincoats" and offer great gear protection.

The H-16 is my all-time favorite Grab-n-Go bag. It holds: Camera (on Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap) with lens, plus two more lenses, plus 580 EXII, plus wireless shutter release, plus 3' ETTL cord, plus extra batteries, plus CF cards, plus microfiber cloths, plus bounce cards and gels in back sleeve.

It's easy to sling around behind me, or on the side or in front in crowds. Instant top-load access to camera. Totally comfortable all day. Easy to take off and place in restaurant chair and drop strap over back of chair.

Basically, I never leave home without the H-16.

With the 3N1, I really think about whether I will need all that it holds or not. Yes, it functions quite well as a sling, with quick access to the camera. I find it amazingly comfortable as a backpack -- either in full backpack mode or criss-cross mode for quick conversion from backpack to sling.

I'll have to look how much smaller the 3n1-10 is than the 22 you have, I'm not looking to hold anything but extra space for other non-photography items is a bonus. The H-16 appears to be discontinued. Did they replace it with a new model?

My wife would never let me use a waist style bag. Call it the fashion police no matter how practical it may be.

Post #4, Apr 19, 2011 09:40:34

Gear:
Canon 5D III, Canon 7D, Canon 24-70L F4 IS, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6 IS, Canon 100mm F2.8L IS Macro, Canon 35mm F2.0 IS, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II

suecassidy
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
4,019 posts
Huntington Beach California
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a tamrac backpack that I take to Disneyland with me when i go. I don't like using the backpack though, because when I wade through crowds, and I turn sideways to manipulate my way through, I find I'm bumping everyone and everything with my backpack. I THINK I would prefer a sling that I could push in front of me in those situations. Nor do I like that I have to get my husband to dig around in my backpack to get me a different lens, and half the time he forgets to zipper it up all the way.

Post #5, Apr 19, 2011 09:45:04

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links
Robertogee
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, the H-16 is discontinued but you can still find one new if you look around online. Just Googling for the H-16, it looks like Amazon still has them, B&H, etc. I'm really glad I got the H-16 instead of the H-14. Online, the H-16 looked like it might be "too big" for what I wanted, but it's not at all. The H-14 would have been "too small" for what I wanted. (I really appreciate their design. I'm able to carry all the gear I mentioned above -- especially three lenses, one on camera, and not just two lenses, which I'm afraid would have been the situation with the H-14. Yet because of Kata's design, the bag still is compact and feels and operates like a much smaller holster-type bag.)

As for the 3N1-22, I know the top compartment is available for non-photographic uses, but I've always stuck two Speedlites and other accessories up there. The back sleeve is supposed to hold a notebook, but I don't use it for that. I have bounce cards, manuals and the like in that pocket instead.

Post #6, Apr 19, 2011 11:36:22

EOS 7D | EOS 40D | EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon 10-22 | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 28-135mm | Tamron 17-35mm | Tamron 28-200mm LD | Tamron 70-300mm | 580 EX II | 430 EX II

iwasinvertedx
Joined Mar 2009
716 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

i would use a messenger bag and pack as light as possible for a trip to disney.
usually carrying less will help you enjoy your trip more rather than fussing with camera gear.
i would go with the 17-55 and a fast prime, and maybe a flash at most.
personally, i dont like carrying a backpack because i frankly dont like carrying anything with me.
i hardly even bring that much stuff to classes, usually just a notebook and ipad.

i would go with the messenger bag, its quicker access and much less obtrusive. also, it wont tempt you to bring every little piece of gear you own

Post #7, Apr 19, 2011 12:28:54

Portfolioexternal link | Blogexternal link

SYS
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2004
8,104 posts
Gilligan's Island
[MORE/SHARE]

If I were to spend all day at a Disney park, I'd make sure that I carry with me a bag for good weight balance, meaning no shoulder or sling type bags. I also wouldn't carry a backpack in a heavily crowded place. I love my Kata Torso Pack for situations like this. Advantages: 1) good weight balance; 2) since it's right in front of you, it's more secure in a crowded place; 3) great for quick pull-and-shoot; and 4) great for lens changes (less prone to lens damage from accidental drop since the bag catches it should it happen).

Post #8, Apr 19, 2011 13:05:39

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

hfgarris
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2009
1,709 posts
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
[MORE/SHARE]

stax wrote in post #12250144external link
I wouldn't want to carry my Retro 10 all day. It's a heavy bag. I'd take my think tank changeup, which is a great smaller bag for a two lens set up and can be worn in multiple configurations (shoulder, waist and chestpack). For all day outings requiring lost of walking, I usually wear the changeup around my waist with one lens in it, and carry the camera w/ lens using a Blackrapid R strap. Super comfy and makes swapping lenses a breeze. It's almost like carrying no gear at all. Seriously.

+1 on the Think Tank "Change Up"

I find it very useful for travel when I am going to be walking a good part of the day. It helps to be able to transfer the load to my hips, and it is slim so it doesn't feel like a box on your hip. If you need a bit more, it is easy to attach one of the small modular pouches to the belt for a P&S, flash, cell phone, etc. The elastic net-pouches on the ends of the bags hold a small water bottle nicely too.;)

I removed the excessively padded "bucket" and now it is still adequately padded to protect my lenses, but collapses easily to pack in my luggage as a smaller second bag. I also find it very comfortable when using it as a shoulder bag to extend just one of the belt sides (the smaller belt tucks into it) and attach the shoulder strap to that point. It seems to carry better and the weight seems more centered on my body. You can decide which belt end is extended depending if you want the bag more towards the front, or the back.

It doesn't look all that fancy ... but it sure works great!

-howard

Post #9, Apr 19, 2011 13:09:53

pbelarge
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,832 posts
Westchester County, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

LowePro Classified 160 AW
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...lassified_160_AW_Pr​o.htmlexternal link

or

LowePro Classified 200 AW
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...lassified_200_AW_Pr​o.htmlexternal link

They are great shoulder bags, well made and not too heavy. There are enough additional pockets to carry some of your accessories.

Post #10, Apr 19, 2011 13:21:11 as a reply to hfgarris's post 11 minutes earlier.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Sdiver2489
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
2,748 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm surprised that the decision between a backpack/sling and a shoulder bag isn't more clear cut. I Thought there would be a clear consensus. As already mentioned, there is no way my wife will let me use a waist bag. So it seems it still comes down to multiple variants of shoulder/holster bags and backpacks.

Post #11, Apr 19, 2011 14:47:03

Gear:

sponsored links
Tommydigi
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,883 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't blame you on the waist belt, I tried the Change up and while a nice bag it just does not look good. Sorry I know its popular but I felt like a dork with that on. If you like a slingbag the sling o matic 10 may be good but again not very "cool" looking, I tried out the 20 and it was a bit to big for my liking but the 10 is much smaller.

I like the retro bags, you may look at the new retro 5 which is a bit smaller and lighter then the 10 which I too find a bit bulky and heavy for a smaller bag.

Post #12, Apr 19, 2011 14:54:28

Websiteexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Blogexternal link
Canon 5D2/60D/G15 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 17-40L • 70-300L

Robertogee
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I got the Kata 3N1-22 first. Loved it. Still do. After I'd had it one week, I realized it still wasn't what I really wanted for a grab-n-go everyday bag, so I researched and ordered the H-16.

I use the H-16 95% of the time. Guess everybody's different. I wear it every day and find it incredibly comfortable. (Then again, I've never been bothered by the criss-cross configuration on the 3N1-22, like some people.)

Still, I'm glad I have both.

Post #13, Apr 19, 2011 14:59:59

trossite
Joined Dec 2010
129 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have the Kata 3n1-10 and really like it as a backpack. Feel that it's very comfortable for walking around, haven't taken it hiking yet, but plan to.
It's not very big, but what I carry in it is a T2i gripped, 18-55 kit lens, Tameron 70-300, and a flash.

Now the body would fit a lot better if it wasn't gripped it is a tight fit, but does work.
It has side flaps that open so you can quickly pull the camera out with a lens attached.
It will only fit my kit lens attached where i can pull it out the side of the bag.

Currently I have the inserts setup so that I can have the 70-300 attached. This has been fine so far as I haven't been putting the camera in and out of the bag the few trips i have taken with it.

Personally if I was walking around Disney or a city I would want a messenger type bag that I could pull the camera in and out of quick with the 70-300 attached.
Although I believe the 3n1-20 would be able to do this, but i really like the small size of the 3n1-10

If you would like to see a picture of this let me know and I can take one later when i'm home.

Post #14, Apr 19, 2011 15:38:48

Canon T2i, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Canon 35mm f/2

Snow001
Joined Oct 2008
328 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have been quite happy with my Sling bag Kata T-214. It is not that big but not that small either. They still sell it on Amazon.

Post #15, Apr 19, 2011 16:08:57

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
Backpack/Sling vs. Shoulder Bag for Disney
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES