Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of April 2011 (Mon)   #1
Sdiver2489
Goldmember

Default Backpack/Sling vs. Shoulder Bag for Disney

Looking to get a smaller bag to take around the parks with me. I've been plenty of times and don't have kids...just a wife so no worries about the camera interfering with juggling them around.

Anyway, I currently have a 7 million dollar home which I "upgraded" from a 6 million dollar home which grew too small for my collection of lenses. 6 million dollar home was difficult to get 3 lenses in with body mounting one of them. 7 million has room for 3 + 1 depending on size.

Around Disney I'll probably bring a new combo of lenses depending on the day. We'll be there a full week so plenty of time. All I'm looking to bring is the body+lens and an extra lens and some accessories(polarizer, cards, etc.).

Later in the week I may bust out the tripod if we have some free time and I want to take some night photography pictures I've always wanted to take.

Anyway, I'm looking at the 123 and the 3N1 from Kata (are these the same thing? They sure look it). Probably the 10 series as I don't want something that big...just enough for an extra lens or so as I mentioned above.

In addition, I also like the Retrospective 10 from Thinktank. It appears to be about the same size as my ol' 6 million dollar home but a little "softer" and has a bit more room for storage.

Looking for opinions on these two options. Is the 123/3N1 easy to sling and convenient? Is a shoulder bag bad for a long day at Disney? What say you!?

Gear:
Canon 7D, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6, Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro, Canon 17-55mm F2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II
Sdiver2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of April 2011 (Mon)   #2
Robertogee

Default Re: Backpack/Sling vs. Shoulder Bag for Disney

I have (and love) both the Kata 3N1-22 and the H-16. The 3N1 holds a LOT. I use it on extended shoots where I need "everything" or for long trips where I "might" need "everything." ("Everything" meaning a couple of more lenses, extra camera battery and charger, an additional Speedlite, etc.) Both have "raincoats" and offer great gear protection.

The H-16 is my all-time favorite Grab-n-Go bag. It holds: Camera (on Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap) with lens, plus two more lenses, plus 580 EXII, plus wireless shutter release, plus 3' ETTL cord, plus extra batteries, plus CF cards, plus microfiber cloths, plus bounce cards and gels in back sleeve.

It's easy to sling around behind me, or on the side or in front in crowds. Instant top-load access to camera. Totally comfortable all day. Easy to take off and place in restaurant chair and drop strap over back of chair.

Basically, I never leave home without the H-16.

With the 3N1, I really think about whether I will need all that it holds or not. Yes, it functions quite well as a sling, with quick access to the camera. I find it amazingly comfortable as a backpack -- either in full backpack mode or criss-cross mode for quick conversion from backpack to sling.
Old 18th of April 2011 (Mon)   #3
stax

I wouldn't want to carry my Retro 10 all day. It's a heavy bag. I'd take my think tank changeup, which is a great smaller bag for a two lens set up and can be worn in multiple configurations (shoulder, waist and chestpack). For all day outings requiring lost of walking, I usually wear the changeup around my waist with one lens in it, and carry the camera w/ lens using a Blackrapid R strap. Super comfy and makes swapping lenses a breeze. It's almost like carrying no gear at all. Seriously.
stax is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #4
Sdiver2489
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertogee View Post
I have (and love) both the Kata 3N1-22 and the H-16. The 3N1 holds a LOT. I use it on extended shoots where I need "everything" or for long trips where I "might" need "everything." ("Everything" meaning a couple of more lenses, extra camera battery and charger, an additional Speedlite, etc.) Both have "raincoats" and offer great gear protection.

The H-16 is my all-time favorite Grab-n-Go bag. It holds: Camera (on Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap) with lens, plus two more lenses, plus 580 EXII, plus wireless shutter release, plus 3' ETTL cord, plus extra batteries, plus CF cards, plus microfiber cloths, plus bounce cards and gels in back sleeve.

It's easy to sling around behind me, or on the side or in front in crowds. Instant top-load access to camera. Totally comfortable all day. Easy to take off and place in restaurant chair and drop strap over back of chair.

Basically, I never leave home without the H-16.

With the 3N1, I really think about whether I will need all that it holds or not. Yes, it functions quite well as a sling, with quick access to the camera. I find it amazingly comfortable as a backpack -- either in full backpack mode or criss-cross mode for quick conversion from backpack to sling.
I'll have to look how much smaller the 3n1-10 is than the 22 you have, I'm not looking to hold anything but extra space for other non-photography items is a bonus. The H-16 appears to be discontinued. Did they replace it with a new model?

My wife would never let me use a waist style bag. Call it the fashion police no matter how practical it may be.

Gear:
Canon 7D, Canon 70-300L F4-F5.6, Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro, Canon 17-55mm F2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Canon 430EX II, Canon 580EX II
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #5
suecassidy
Goldmember

I have a tamrac backpack that I take to Disneyland with me when i go. I don't like using the backpack though, because when I wade through crowds, and I turn sideways to manipulate my way through, I find I'm bumping everyone and everything with my backpack. I THINK I would prefer a sling that I could push in front of me in those situations. Nor do I like that I have to get my husband to dig around in my backpack to get me a different lens, and half the time he forgets to zipper it up all the way.
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3
suecassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #6
Robertogee

Yes, the H-16 is discontinued but you can still find one new if you look around online. Just Googling for the H-16, it looks like Amazon still has them, B&H, etc. I'm really glad I got the H-16 instead of the H-14. Online, the H-16 looked like it might be "too big" for what I wanted, but it's not at all. The H-14 would have been "too small" for what I wanted. (I really appreciate their design. I'm able to carry all the gear I mentioned above -- especially three lenses, one on camera, and not just two lenses, which I'm afraid would have been the situation with the H-14. Yet because of Kata's design, the bag still is compact and feels and operates like a much smaller holster-type bag.)

As for the 3N1-22, I know the top compartment is available for non-photographic uses, but I've always stuck two Speedlites and other accessories up there. The back sleeve is supposed to hold a notebook, but I don't use it for that. I have bounce cards, manuals and the like in that pocket instead.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #7
iwasinvertedx

i would use a messenger bag and pack as light as possible for a trip to disney.
usually carrying less will help you enjoy your trip more rather than fussing with camera gear.
i would go with the 17-55 and a fast prime, and maybe a flash at most.
personally, i dont like carrying a backpack because i frankly dont like carrying anything with me.
i hardly even bring that much stuff to classes, usually just a notebook and ipad.

i would go with the messenger bag, its quicker access and much less obtrusive. also, it wont tempt you to bring every little piece of gear you own
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #8
SYS
Cream of the Crop

If I were to spend all day at a Disney park, I'd make sure that I carry with me a bag for good weight balance, meaning no shoulder or sling type bags. I also wouldn't carry a backpack in a heavily crowded place. I love my Kata Torso Pack for situations like this. Advantages: 1) good weight balance; 2) since it's right in front of you, it's more secure in a crowded place; 3) great for quick pull-and-shoot; and 4) great for lens changes (less prone to lens damage from accidental drop since the bag catches it should it happen).

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
SYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #9
hfgarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax View Post
I wouldn't want to carry my Retro 10 all day. It's a heavy bag. I'd take my think tank changeup, which is a great smaller bag for a two lens set up and can be worn in multiple configurations (shoulder, waist and chestpack). For all day outings requiring lost of walking, I usually wear the changeup around my waist with one lens in it, and carry the camera w/ lens using a Blackrapid R strap. Super comfy and makes swapping lenses a breeze. It's almost like carrying no gear at all. Seriously.
+1 on the Think Tank "Change Up"

I find it very useful for travel when I am going to be walking a good part of the day. It helps to be able to transfer the load to my hips, and it is slim so it doesn't feel like a box on your hip. If you need a bit more, it is easy to attach one of the small modular pouches to the belt for a P&S, flash, cell phone, etc. The elastic net-pouches on the ends of the bags hold a small water bottle nicely too.

I removed the excessively padded "bucket" and now it is still adequately padded to protect my lenses, but collapses easily to pack in my luggage as a smaller second bag. I also find it very comfortable when using it as a shoulder bag to extend just one of the belt sides (the smaller belt tucks into it) and attach the shoulder strap to that point. It seems to carry better and the weight seems more centered on my body. You can decide which belt end is extended depending if you want the bag more towards the front, or the back.

It doesn't look all that fancy ... but it sure works great!

-howard

Last edited by hfgarris : 19th of April 2011 (Tue) at 13:13.
hfgarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #10
pbelarge
Goldmember

LowePro Classified 160 AW
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...60_AW_Pro.html

or

LowePro Classified 200 AW
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...00_AW_Pro.html

They are great shoulder bags, well made and not too heavy. There are enough additional pockets to carry some of your accessories.

Pierre
pbelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #11
Sdiver2489
Goldmember

I'm surprised that the decision between a backpack/sling and a shoulder bag isn't more clear cut. I Thought there would be a clear consensus. As already mentioned, there is no way my wife will let me use a waist bag. So it seems it still comes down to multiple variants of shoulder/holster bags and backpacks.

Gear:
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #12
Tommydigi
Goldmember

I don't blame you on the waist belt, I tried the Change up and while a nice bag it just does not look good. Sorry I know its popular but I felt like a dork with that on. If you like a slingbag the sling o matic 10 may be good but again not very "cool" looking, I tried out the 20 and it was a bit to big for my liking but the 10 is much smaller.

I like the retro bags, you may look at the new retro 5 which is a bit smaller and lighter then the 10 which I too find a bit bulky and heavy for a smaller bag.

Canon 5D2/60D/G15 24LII 50L 100L 135L 400L 40 STM 17-40 70-300L
Tommydigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #13
Robertogee

I got the Kata 3N1-22 first. Loved it. Still do. After I'd had it one week, I realized it still wasn't what I really wanted for a grab-n-go everyday bag, so I researched and ordered the H-16.

I use the H-16 95% of the time. Guess everybody's different. I wear it every day and find it incredibly comfortable. (Then again, I've never been bothered by the criss-cross configuration on the 3N1-22, like some people.)

Still, I'm glad I have both.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #14
trossite

I have the Kata 3n1-10 and really like it as a backpack. Feel that it's very comfortable for walking around, haven't taken it hiking yet, but plan to.
It's not very big, but what I carry in it is a T2i gripped, 18-55 kit lens, Tameron 70-300, and a flash.

Now the body would fit a lot better if it wasn't gripped it is a tight fit, but does work.
It has side flaps that open so you can quickly pull the camera out with a lens attached.
It will only fit my kit lens attached where i can pull it out the side of the bag.

Currently I have the inserts setup so that I can have the 70-300 attached. This has been fine so far as I haven't been putting the camera in and out of the bag the few trips i have taken with it.

Personally if I was walking around Disney or a city I would want a messenger type bag that I could pull the camera in and out of quick with the 70-300 attached.
Although I believe the 3n1-20 would be able to do this, but i really like the small size of the 3n1-10

If you would like to see a picture of this let me know and I can take one later when i'm home.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #15
Snow001

I have been quite happy with my Sling bag Kata T-214. It is not that big but not that small either. They still sell it on Amazon.
Snow001 is offline   Reply With Quote