Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #1
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Default 5D Mirror Fix

Is there anyway to tell if it's been done? I'm not the first owner of my 5D and I don't have means of contacting the first owner.

Website
TheBrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #2
Unregistered.Coward

Default Re: 5D Mirror Fix

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10156483-1.html

http://kazenphotography.blogspot.com...in-mirror.html

The fix is done free of charge, regardless of warranty status

Last edited by Unregistered.Coward : 19th of April 2011 (Tue) at 10:58.
Unregistered.Coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #3
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Damnit! It's been fixed. I am trying to get a free cleaning here. I wonder if I send it in anyway if they'll just go ahead and clean it and send it back.

Website
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #4
TWOLITREmedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMang View Post
Dammit! It's been fixed. I am trying to get a free cleaning here. I wonder if I send it in anyway if they'll just go ahead and clean it and send it back.
Hahaha that's hilarious this is EXACTLY what I was looking to do. I finally took the dive and looked into my 5Dc last night and realized, **** it was already done!

Oh well, find a trusted local professional and get'r cleaned. I heard something about Canon not doing free cleaning with non-repair issues anymore anyways.

Last edited by TWOLITREmedia : 19th of April 2011 (Tue) at 11:57.
TWOLITREmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #5
Joe Cyr

Uh, no. Not likely.
http://josephcyrphotography.smugmug.com
Joe Cyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #6
iwasinvertedx

yeah i was hoping to get it fixed n cleaned too.
but sadly, it already as the repair done.
i wish they still did cleanings for free.
i used to live down the freeway from the irvine center and it wouldve been easy just to drop it off n get it cleaned.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #7
blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"

Just learn how to do it. It's not that difficult - just takes a little time, patience and the proper tools. Full-frame sensors are big (compared to crop) = lots of acreage for dust.

Even if you had gotten a free cleaning, you would eventually have to clean the sensor yourself.

Google "Copperhill Method" for tips and tools

Gear List
blueM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #8
iwasinvertedx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueM View Post
Just learn how to do it. It's not that difficult - just takes a little time, patience and the proper tools. Full-frame sensors are big (compared to crop) = lots of acreage for dust.

Even if you had gotten a free cleaning, you would eventually have to clean the sensor yourself.

i have cleaned my sensor before with eclipse and sensor swabs. it isnt difficult. usually a good blast from a rocket blow is enough to get rid of dust.
It is just nice to have canon do it because they could do a full chamber cleaning
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #9
TheBrick3
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueM View Post

I've always cleaned cameras myself. I've cleaned the 5D twice this spring. I don't know if I made it worse the first time, but it didn't really work, and I avoided using the camera for awhile. The next time I cleaned it, I must've tracked some dust in somehow and it's pretty much unuseable now. I don't know if continuing to try and clean it is good.

Before I realized the camera was fixed, I had already called and they sent me the label. I am thinking if I send it in, maybe they'll just assume I was confused and return the camera cleaned with shutter count to me without saying anything for the sake of customer service. They also said I could send a broken 550ex in for an estimate to fix in the same box as the 5D so I have more incentive to try. I am not really sure what the downside is.

I do realize mooching off of them like this isn't very nice. But I am a very loyal buyer of their (previously purchased) products, damnit!

Website

Last edited by TheBrick3 : 19th of April 2011 (Tue) at 13:43.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #10
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

How much IS it to have Canon clean your sensor? Ive never heard of a price before.
Old 19th of April 2011 (Tue)   #11
Virto

I don't remember off-hand Ben, but other threads mention something in the neighborhood of 125 bucks just to touch the thing.
Old 28th of April 2011 (Thu)   #12
jm2e

I just had mirror blow out on one that I thought was fixed before I bought it. Totally freaked me out because I thought the sensor might be damaged. Looks okay, but I'm sending it off today to Canon. We'll see what comes of it......fingers crossed.
jm2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of May 2011 (Tue)   #13
BucketMan

They still include a free cleaning with the mirror fix.

I picked up a used 5D recentlyfor a great price, the downside being the camera was a tad rough. The sensor was a mess and the viewfinder...had more hair in it than on my head. The camera also reaked of cigarette smoke, major pet peeve of mine.

But, everything else looked fine and it was a great price, I even brought him down a bit more when I showed him pics @ F22 showing the sensor dust.

I got it home and gave it one heck of a cleaning with a toothbrush and a mild soap solution. Got most of the smoke smell off of it. I was still pretty bummed about the sensor though. But I had remembered somethign about the mirror recall and low and behold this one had NOT had it done!

I called Canon and they sent me a label to ship the camera to them. I included a VERY nice letter to the tech. asking if they could find the time to clean the sensor and the viewfinder I would be most appreciative. I had also asked for an up to date shutter count as well.

I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago saying my camera was being repaired and will receive a thorough cleaning. It was however just a form letter, so I think they still clean the bodies that have the mirror fixed.

Im actually more concerned about the viewfinder than the sesnor as thd ust is really only noticeable at above F11 which I rarely shoot at. The VF although....ughhh, you always see it.
Old 31st of May 2011 (Tue)   #14
critical

When was the mirror problem discovered, and was it ever fixed in production? I'm looking at a 2008 5d and wondering if it could have been caught before then.
critical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2011 (Wed)   #15
guyzer09

So how do you go about contacting canon about getting your 5d mirror fixed?
Full GEAR List
guyzer09 is offline   Reply With Quote