Thread started 19 Apr 2011 (Tuesday) 10:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TheBrick3
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
2,086 posts
College Park, Md.
[MORE/SHARE]

Is there anyway to tell if it's been done? I'm not the first owner of my 5D and I don't have means of contacting the first owner.

Post #1, Apr 19, 2011 10:51:23

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Unregistered.Coward
Joined Oct 2010
884 posts
Looking thru the viewfinder
[MORE/SHARE]

http://news.cnet.com ...17938_105-10156483-1.htmlexternal link

http://kazenphotograph​y.blogspot.com ...e-eos-5d-main-mirror.htmlexternal link

The fix is done free of charge, regardless of warranty status

Post #2, Apr 19, 2011 10:55:54

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
2,086 posts
College Park, Md.
[MORE/SHARE]

Damnit! It's been fixed. I am trying to get a free cleaning here. :( I wonder if I send it in anyway if they'll just go ahead and clean it and send it back.

Post #3, Apr 19, 2011 11:36:42

Websiteexternal link

TWOLITREmedia
Joined Feb 2011
759 posts
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

RobertMang wrote in post #12253000external link
Dammit! It's been fixed. I am trying to get a free cleaning here. :( I wonder if I send it in anyway if they'll just go ahead and clean it and send it back.

Hahaha that's hilarious this is EXACTLY what I was looking to do. I finally took the dive and looked into my 5Dc last night and realized, **** it was already done!

Oh well, find a trusted local professional and get'r cleaned. I heard something about Canon not doing free cleaning with non-repair issues anymore anyways.

Post #4, Apr 19, 2011 11:54:58

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flickexternal linkR|||TWOexternal linkLITREexternal linkmedia|||

Joe ­ Cyr
Joined Mar 2006
973 posts
Northern Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

Uh, no. Not likely.

Post #5, Apr 19, 2011 11:55:14

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)
http://josephcyrphotog​raphy.smugmug.comexternal link

sponsored links
iwasinvertedx
Joined Mar 2009
716 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah i was hoping to get it fixed n cleaned too.
but sadly, it already as the repair done.
i wish they still did cleanings for free.
i used to live down the freeway from the irvine center and it wouldve been easy just to drop it off n get it cleaned.

Post #6, Apr 19, 2011 12:04:18

Portfolioexternal link | Blogexternal link

blueM
"I am the Prince of Dorkness"
Joined Oct 2005
1,659 posts
Bloomfield Hills, Mich.
[MORE/SHARE]

Just learn how to do it. It's not that difficult - just takes a little time, patience and the proper tools. Full-frame sensors are big (compared to crop) = lots of acreage for dust.

Even if you had gotten a free cleaning, you would eventually have to clean the sensor yourself.

Google "Copperhill Method" for tips and tools

Post #7, Apr 19, 2011 12:26:46

Kevin

Gear List

iwasinvertedx
Joined Mar 2009
716 posts
Los Angeles, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

blueM wrote in post #12253368external link
Just learn how to do it. It's not that difficult - just takes a little time, patience and the proper tools. Full-frame sensors are big (compared to crop) = lots of acreage for dust.

Even if you had gotten a free cleaning, you would eventually have to clean the sensor yourself.

i have cleaned my sensor before with eclipse and sensor swabs. it isnt difficult. usually a good blast from a rocket blow is enough to get rid of dust.
It is just nice to have canon do it because they could do a full chamber cleaning

Post #8, Apr 19, 2011 12:30:37

Portfolioexternal link | Blogexternal link

TheBrick3
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2009
2,086 posts
College Park, Md.
[MORE/SHARE]

blueM wrote in post #12253368external link

I've always cleaned cameras myself. I've cleaned the 5D twice this spring. I don't know if I made it worse the first time, but it didn't really work, and I avoided using the camera for awhile. The next time I cleaned it, I must've tracked some dust in somehow and it's pretty much unuseable now. I don't know if continuing to try and clean it is good.

Before I realized the camera was fixed, I had already called and they sent me the label. I am thinking if I send it in, maybe they'll just assume I was confused and return the camera cleaned with shutter count to me without saying anything for the sake of customer service. They also said I could send a broken 550ex in for an estimate to fix in the same box as the 5D so I have more incentive to try. I am not really sure what the downside is.

I do realize mooching off of them like this isn't very nice. But I am a very loyal buyer of their (previously purchased) products, damnit!

Post #9, Apr 19, 2011 13:38:20

Websiteexternal link

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

How much IS it to have Canon clean your sensor? Ive never heard of a price before.

Post #10, Apr 19, 2011 14:26:37

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Virto
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
1,646 posts
Elgin, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't remember off-hand Ben, but other threads mention something in the neighborhood of 125 bucks just to touch the thing.

Post #11, Apr 19, 2011 15:49:13

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

sponsored links
jm2e
Joined Nov 2010
127 posts
Raleigh
[MORE/SHARE]

I just had mirror blow out on one that I thought was fixed before I bought it. Totally freaked me out because I thought the sensor might be damaged. Looks okay, but I'm sending it off today to Canon. We'll see what comes of it......fingers crossed.

Post #12, Apr 28, 2011 08:46:19

BucketMan
Joined Aug 2008
922 posts
Roanoke, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

They still include a free cleaning with the mirror fix.

I picked up a used 5D recentlyfor a great price, the downside being the camera was a tad rough. The sensor was a mess and the viewfinder...had more hair in it than on my head. The camera also reaked of cigarette smoke, major pet peeve of mine.

But, everything else looked fine and it was a great price, I even brought him down a bit more when I showed him pics @ F22 showing the sensor dust.

I got it home and gave it one heck of a cleaning with a toothbrush and a mild soap solution. Got most of the smoke smell off of it. I was still pretty bummed about the sensor though. But I had remembered somethign about the mirror recall and low and behold this one had NOT had it done!

I called Canon and they sent me a label to ship the camera to them. I included a VERY nice letter to the tech. asking if they could find the time to clean the sensor and the viewfinder I would be most appreciative. I had also asked for an up to date shutter count as well.

I got a letter in the mail a couple days ago saying my camera was being repaired and will receive a thorough cleaning. It was however just a form letter, so I think they still clean the bodies that have the mirror fixed.

Im actually more concerned about the viewfinder than the sesnor as thd ust is really only noticeable at above F11 which I rarely shoot at. The VF although....ughhh, you always see it.

Post #13, May 31, 2011 20:22:25 as a reply to jm2e's post 1 month earlier.

5D | 40D | 24-70L | 70-200LII | 580EXIIhttp://photography-on-the.net/forum/%3Ca%20h​ref=
flickrexternal link

critical
Joined May 2011
52 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When was the mirror problem discovered, and was it ever fixed in production? I'm looking at a 2008 5d and wondering if it could have been caught before then.

Post #14, May 31, 2011 21:44:17

Canon 5d, Sigma 50mm 1.4

guyzer09
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
1,177 posts
Salem,OR
[MORE/SHARE]

So how do you go about contacting canon about getting your 5d mirror fixed?

Post #15, Jun 01, 2011 01:19:04

5D | Rebel XTI
24-85 f/3.5-4.5 | Rokker 58 f/1.2 | Vivitar 135 f/2.8
Capturing life's moments one one click at a time..
Full GEAR List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,681 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mirror Fix
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES