Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 22 Apr 2011 (Friday) 22:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

28" Westcott Apollo SB ghetto bracket

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apr 22, 2011 22:47 |  #1

So I just got my Wescott Apollo SB and will say its definitely a strobists tool.

Opens up and 1 of the sides of the diffusion panel is sewn directly on the SB. I will eventually sew some velcro so that I can use part of my photflex medium grid as a quick nasty grid (wont cover fully but will be sufficient)

One great thing about this SB is that I will only use my PW flex units for adjusting manual/ETTL power settings. the fact that it mounts to an umbrella flash bracket its ROCK solid unlike the floppy bracket like my Cheetah Qbox24. Even a pro bracket will not take the sloppy bounce that I get when I go outdoors with the Qbox.

I use an OC-e3 cord for my Ettl and made a quick bracket setup that is fully adjustable. I must choke the umbrella shaft if I want to angle the SB downwards. This is why I made this bracket. I also use this same bracket for my Softliter 46 so that the flash sits further away from the rear of the softliter.

For those of you that want something quick and nasty with only one diffusion panel I think this SB will be a versatile tool.

I got some brackets from Ebay so that I could use two speedlites at once. I modified it and made a bracket so that the flash sits parallel to the ground (stole a piece off of my newton flash bracket). For a ghetto bracket this works extremely well. I just cant wait to some outdoors shooting.

I still think the qbox24 is a great tool. I just wanted something different that wasn't a wallet killer. This westcott 28 is definitely more rigid and stable compared to the design of the qbox.

I will eventually put a support underneath the flash but at its current state the flash is rock solid and happy.

IMAGE: http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/alan_u/IMG_1920_1024.jpg

IMAGE: http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/alan_u/IMG_1927_1024.jpg

IMAGE: http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/alan_u/IMG_1929_1024.jpg

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

1,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
28" Westcott Apollo SB ghetto bracket
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.