Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2011 (Sat)   #1
m.shalaby
Goldmember

Default What do you think about this Softbox for full body shots? (40"x32")

Full body
-to-
3/4 body

I know - lots of threads latley from me, lol... I'm on the search for a good full body softbox and this hit me as being just about perfect - at least I think it would be.

40"x32" - pretty big, but not too big that my 430EX II Speedlight can't fill it.

What do you guys think?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._100x80cm.html

It would work with my Cheetah Speed Pro Bracket - as its a bowen mount... thoughts?

Last edited by m.shalaby : 23rd of April 2011 (Sat) at 22:27.
m.shalaby is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of April 2011 (Sat)   #2
spacetime

Default Re: What do you think about this Softbox for full body shots? (40"x32")

IMO, it's kinda small for full length portraits. Even with 3/4 portraits you'll see pronounced fall off.
spacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #3
toxic
Goldmember

I think it's big enough. Not ideal, but good enough.
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #4
J Kacey

I would pair up two speedlights if you are looking to use them with larger softboxes.
Faster recycle time, less strain on the flashes and you have that extra stop when needed.
It might be more of a investment than you are looking to do, but Chimera is a great choice for those using speedlights/studio strobes. They have front diffusion panels for all their softboxes in full, half, quarter stop panels.

(This would be a good choice)

Last edited by J Kacey : 24th of April 2011 (Sun) at 00:38.
J Kacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #5
Dave Jr

The EZ Pro beauty dish collapsible softboxes are a good value. You could buy one with the Bowens ring, and just get another adapter ring later if you ever add strobes. The 32 x 48 is available at Amazon for $69.95 and has an optional grid, although I was not happy with the grid. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Studio-Sol...623811&sr=8-27

Dave Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #6
Troopa

What Softtbox speedring brands are large enough to mount 2 or 3 speedlights through with something like the speedring pro or DIY jobby ?
Have we got a list somewhere that ive missed?
Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #7
J Kacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopa View Post
What Softtbox speedring brands are large enough to mount 2 or 3 speedlights through with something like the speedring pro or DIY jobby ?
Have we got a list somewhere that ive missed?
Two Canon 580's or SB 900's can fit through a Elinchrom insert. They can fit in just about any speedring if you remove the insert..

This is one solution I came up with a few years ago. I know there is at least one other available that is made in Australia.
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #8
m.shalaby
Goldmember

thanks for the suggestions guys! - for now I'll have to deal with a single speedlight and deal with the longer recycle times.

Dave - do you think the EZ Pro system is comparable quality to the Bowens? - I don't mind spending the extra few bucks for the Bowens.

Also do you think the added size of th EZ Pro is starting to push the capability of the Speedlight?
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #9
Dave Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shalaby View Post
thanks for the suggestions guys! - for now I'll have to deal with a single speedlight and deal with the longer recycle times.

Dave - do you think the EZ Pro system is comparable quality to the Bowens? - I don't mind spending the extra few bucks for the Bowens.

Also do you think the added size of th EZ Pro is starting to push the capability of the Speedlight?
I am very pleased with the quality of the EZ Pro, and I think the adjustable "beauty dish" deflector will help a lot with light spread when using a single speedlight. The added size will also help for full body shots.

Dave Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2011 (Sun)   #10
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Jerry makes a very good point.

I know I post a lot about how you 'can' use a single 580EX or SB800/900 in a large lightbox but it's not the most practical and will surely eat through your batteries faster, with longer recycle times.

Using 2 Speedlight's does make a significant difference in battery consumption and workable power levels that give you the output you need while keeping recycle times shorter.

If you're not prepared to add some hardware and spend a little cash for a dual Speedlight bracket assembly then I would stick with smaller, more efficient modifiers and learn to feather vertically when you do need the longer shots.

Otherwise, as I've told you a few times, going to an umbrella or umbrella softbox for the full length work does a fine job. You'd be surprised. You can at least be shooting and when the time is right, you can upgrade or move to strobes.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #11
m.shalaby
Goldmember

At the moment, a dual speedlight isn't in the cards for me.

But as far a coverage, I know this wont COMPLETELY cover a 6ft standing model, but with the right feathering, falloff should be pretty nominal, no?

(uses - indoors, or cloudy/inshade outdoors shoots)

NEVER in direct sunlight.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #12
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

I showed you an image in one of your other threads that was a full length shot of a girl that stands about 5'7", shot with a single SB-900 firing into a Photoflex 36" x 48" softbox. I raised the ISO a bit to give myself a little bit of headroom with flash power and recycle times.

As I stated above... it wasn't ideal but it worked and got me through the shoot.

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #13
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

I use two speedlites with Kacey's dual speedlite bracket with two pixel power packs. Nice setup but AB400/800 with VML to me is much better a slot more power and almost same weight but eaiser to handle setup.

Also photoflex softboxes come with front diffusion panels in various strengths just like chimera.

if I was buying a softbox, I would look for one with front lip and one which comes with grids which aren't too expensive but not crap either. So only photoflex for my budgets. Chimera if I was making more money.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #14
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

BTW - I would also take a look at Jerry's dish as with two speedlites it is giving me better coverage for full length shots. Here some example.

Dish out of frame on camera right.

Last edited by bobbyz : 25th of April 2011 (Mon) at 09:30.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #15
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop

One more option a strip box with flash mounted sideways (Robert's idea) with cheetah mount.