Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #1
BoneJj

Default Canon 50mm f/1.4 FOCUS PROBLEM, serious front focus when non-center focus.

Okay, so I'm using a T2i and I recently got the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM lens to use in some of the "portrait" style work that I do. At first I was loving the lens as it focused a lot better than the first one I ordered and had to return now I've found a new problem that has me seriously annoyed!

When using the center focus there is a tendency to slightly front focus which wasn't bad as it was still working pretty good for what I wanted it for. Now comes the problem, if you change from the center focal point to any of the other focal points the lens go nuts and front focus as much as a couple feet in front of your subject, subject is about 13 feet in front of my.

Has anyone else had this problem? I mean this is crazy, all my other lenses perform without issue at all but this is just an insane problem that I really don't want to have to deal with anymore. I will be sending it in to canon but still, this is just a strange issue! I tested the camera multiple times to see if maybe there was something else that was causing this problem and after about 15 photos with the same issue coming up I finally said it's got the be the lens as none of my other lenses have this strange behavior.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #2
richierich1212

Default Re: Canon 50mm f/1.4 FOCUS PROBLEM, serious front focus when non-center focus.

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 AF motor is garbage. I'd try returning that one and exchanging again.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #3
xhack

Default Re: Canon 50mm f/1.4 FOCUS PROBLEM, serious front focus when non-center focus.

I think you mean your copy was garbage? I'm assuming your opinion is based on former ownership, rather than anecdote, since it doesn't show on your current list.

On the 5D centre point, the 1.4 nails it every time with no hunting. On the outer points, when trying for the proverbial black cat in a coal cellar, it can hunt and be inaccurate - but then, so do most of my L lenses. And it performs much better on the outer points with my 1D. I'd look to the body more if you have real outer point focusing problems.

And yes, it is crappy in the sense that the focus motor does sound like it's chewing half-inch nails. . . . but it just keeps soldiering on as my go-to lens for more than four years. I like it.

Gear List
xhack is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #4
BoneJj

^^ considering I have no problems with any of my other lenses it seems to be the fault of the 50 1.4. I contacted canon earlier and am waiting on them to respond at this time. I hope to hear from them tomorrow.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #5
idsurfer
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich1212 View Post
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 AF motor is garbage. I'd try returning that one and exchanging again.
These posts make me so happy about my decision to buy this lens.
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #6
Arteel

Unfortunate to hear, hopefully your next copy will be on point. I'm blessed to have gotten a perfect copy off the used market the first time. I get very sharp pictures using the outer points shooting wide open.

-Ryan
Arteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #7
Tony_Stark
Goldmember

I was having similar problems with my 50mm f/1.8. Whenever I would use a point other than the middle, I would get crazy back-focus.

Website | Flickr | Facebook | Automotive Portfolio | Instagram
Tony_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #8
BoneJj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Stark View Post
I was having similar problems with my 50mm f/1.8. Whenever I would use a point other than the middle, I would get crazy back-focus.
what did you do about it?
Old 25th of April 2011 (Mon)   #9
DreDaze
Cream of the Crop

the 50mm f1.4 has some pretty poor AF numbers...there's a poll here...i think like 1/5 suffered from some sort of AF problem...
DreDaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #10
BoneJj

Well, I sent my lens in for service and it came back with a number of issues. All of which seem to have been fixed and I'm loving it @ 1.4 at this time. It's working pretty damn good and I would encourage anyone not liking their lens at 1.4 to send it in to be adjusted. They also seem to have had to replace the controller board inside the lens as it was having some problems....

I also sent in my camera body as well and they did some adjustments to it as well and now I'm really liking it as well. It's performing much better than before and working very well with all my lenses at this time.
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #11
kuma1212

Great to hear. That lens has mixed reviews, but I love mine on full frame. On crop I had front focus issues with it.
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #12
BoneJj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuma1212 View Post
Great to hear. That lens has mixed reviews, but I love mine on full frame. On crop I had front focus issues with it.
I'm on crop and the send in to Canon seems to have fixed that issue. Maybe the same deal for yours could fix that.
Old 29th of May 2011 (Sun)   #13
derick

Fast, you need to up to 1/100 s.
than, make it about 2.8F, you will got a very sharp pictures.
derick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2011 (Mon)   #14
roosterslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richierich1212 View Post
the copy i used to own focussed rather quickly and didnt hunt too much in low light.. i think you and OP got bad ones
Old 30th of May 2011 (Mon)   #15
BoneJj

Quote:
Originally Posted by derick View Post
Fast, you need to up to 1/100 s.
than, make it about 2.8F, you will got a very sharp pictures.
read the thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterslayer View Post
the copy i used to own focussed rather quickly and didnt hunt too much in low light.. i think you and OP got bad ones
and pretty much, but now it works like a charm. It was pretty much the only lens I used all night tonight... Pretty damn good at 1.4 from what I was seeing so far. and even better at 2.0