Canon 50mm f/1.4 FOCUS PROBLEM, serious front focus when non-center focus.

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 25 Apr 2011 (Monday) 09:20   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

BoneJj
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Okay, so I'm using a T2i and I recently got the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM lens to use in some of the "portrait" style work that I do. At first I was loving the lens as it focused a lot better than the first one I ordered and had to return now I've found a new problem that has me seriously annoyed!

When using the center focus there is a tendency to slightly front focus which wasn't bad as it was still working pretty good for what I wanted it for. Now comes the problem, if you change from the center focal point to any of the other focal points the lens go nuts and front focus as much as a couple feet in front of your subject, subject is about 13 feet in front of my.

Has anyone else had this problem? I mean this is crazy, all my other lenses perform without issue at all but this is just an insane problem that I really don't want to have to deal with anymore. I will be sending it in to canon but still, this is just a strange issue! I tested the camera multiple times to see if maybe there was something else that was causing this problem and after about 15 photos with the same issue coming up I finally said it's got the be the lens as none of my other lenses have this strange behavior.

Post #1, Apr 25, 2011 09:20:17

--Bone | FSSexternal link | flickrexternal link | Gear listexternal link |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
richierich1212
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
1,624 posts
Vallejo, California (SF Bay Area)
[MORE/SHARE]

The Canon 50mm f/1.4 AF motor is garbage. I'd try returning that one and exchanging again.

Post #2, Apr 25, 2011 09:54:38

Gearlist · Feedback

xhack
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,281 posts
Edinburgh, Lothian
[MORE/SHARE]

I think you mean your copy was garbage? I'm assuming your opinion is based on former ownership, rather than anecdote, since it doesn't show on your current list.

On the 5D centre point, the 1.4 nails it every time with no hunting. On the outer points, when trying for the proverbial black cat in a coal cellar, it can hunt and be inaccurate - but then, so do most of my L lenses. And it performs much better on the outer points with my 1D. I'd look to the body more if you have real outer point focusing problems.

And yes, it is crappy in the sense that the focus motor does sound like it's chewing half-inch nails. . . . but it just keeps soldiering on as my go-to lens for more than four years. I like it.

Post #3, Apr 25, 2011 10:39:21

~ Wallace
Gear List

BoneJj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

^^ considering I have no problems with any of my other lenses it seems to be the fault of the 50 1.4. I contacted canon earlier and am waiting on them to respond at this time. I hope to hear from them tomorrow.

Post #4, Apr 25, 2011 21:10:34

idsurfer
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
4,341 posts
Boise, Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

richierich1212 wrote in post #12288392external link
The Canon 50mm f/1.4 AF motor is garbage. I'd try returning that one and exchanging again.

These posts make me so happy about my decision to buy this lens. :rolleyes:

Post #5, Apr 25, 2011 22:05:52

Cory flickrexternal link

Feedback

sponsored links
Arteel
Joined Jul 2010
439 posts
Monterey, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Unfortunate to hear, hopefully your next copy will be on point. I'm blessed to have gotten a perfect copy off the used market the first time. I get very sharp pictures using the outer points shooting wide open.

Post #6, Apr 25, 2011 22:15:09

5Dc | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8L IS
-Ryan

Tony_Stark
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
4,035 posts
Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I was having similar problems with my 50mm f/1.8. Whenever I would use a point other than the middle, I would get crazy back-focus.

Post #7, Apr 25, 2011 22:59:34

Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Websiteexternal link | flickrexternal link | Facebook

BoneJj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony_Stark wrote in post #12293080external link
I was having similar problems with my 50mm f/1.8. Whenever I would use a point other than the middle, I would get crazy back-focus.

what did you do about it?

Post #8, Apr 25, 2011 23:07:46

DreDaze
bit by the Supposed Title Fairy
Joined Mar 2006
15,036 posts
S.F. Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

the 50mm f1.4 has some pretty poor AF numbers...there's a poll here...i think like 1/5 suffered from some sort of AF problem...

Post #9, Apr 25, 2011 23:11:41

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickrexternal link

BoneJj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I sent my lens in for service and it came back with a number of issues. All of which seem to have been fixed and I'm loving it @ 1.4 at this time. It's working pretty damn good and I would encourage anyone not liking their lens at 1.4 to send it in to be adjusted. They also seem to have had to replace the controller board inside the lens as it was having some problems....

I also sent in my camera body as well and they did some adjustments to it as well and now I'm really liking it as well. It's performing much better than before and working very well with all my lenses at this time.

Post #10, May 28, 2011 22:45:50

kuma1212
Joined Jun 2007
363 posts
Chicago
[MORE/SHARE]

Great to hear. That lens has mixed reviews, but I love mine on full frame. On crop I had front focus issues with it.

Post #11, May 28, 2011 23:01:14

5DII. 50L. 24-70LII. 16-35LII. 70-200is2.8II. 100L 135L.

sponsored links
BoneJj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

kuma1212 wrote in post #12497110external link
Great to hear. That lens has mixed reviews, but I love mine on full frame. On crop I had front focus issues with it.

I'm on crop and the send in to Canon seems to have fixed that issue. Maybe the same deal for yours could fix that.

Post #12, May 28, 2011 23:41:08

derick
Joined Jul 2007
68 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Fast, you need to up to 1/100 s.
than, make it about 2.8F, you will got a very sharp pictures.

Post #13, May 29, 2011 23:27:15

roosterslayer
Joined Oct 2010
994 posts
SF, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

richierich1212 wrote in post #12288392external link

the copy i used to own focussed rather quickly and didnt hunt too much in low light.. i think you and OP got bad ones :eek:

Post #14, May 30, 2011 00:09:25

flickrexternal link

BoneJj
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2010
1,269 posts
Southwest Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

derick wrote in post #12501732external link
Fast, you need to up to 1/100 s.
than, make it about 2.8F, you will got a very sharp pictures.

read the thread...

roosterslayer wrote in post #12501912external link
the copy i used to own focussed rather quickly and didnt hunt too much in low light.. i think you and OP got bad ones :eek:

and pretty much, but now it works like a charm. It was pretty much the only lens I used all night tonight... Pretty damn good at 1.4 from what I was seeing so far. and even better at 2.0

Post #15, May 30, 2011 02:32:40

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,623 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 50mm f/1.4 FOCUS PROBLEM, serious front focus when non-center focus.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES