Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #1
Moikle
User is banned from forums

Unhappy Digital Photo Professional

As a recent convert from the dark side (Knickers or something like that ) and now a proud 5D owner I have to express my disappointment with Canon's RAW conversion tool. I thought Thingy Capture was slow and clunky but the end result was pleasing. Is it me or is there genuinely no chromatic aberration tool in DPP. I would appreciate some guidance from the more experience Canon digital shooters. I use ACR but consider that a part solution as well. Apart from this it's nice to be back with Canon.
Moikle is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #2
Curtis N
Master Flasher

Default Re: Digital Photo Professional

DPP is a nice tool for those who don't have or can't afford Photoshop CS and ACR.

There is no single post-processing application that does everything well. The last batch of shots I processed using no less than four software applications to go from RAW to print-ready JPEGs.
Curtis N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #3
weemannie
Goldmember

Have you tried Rawshooter Essentials 2005?
I'm just trying it now, and its had very good reviews in UK magazines and on this forum.

Even better, its free.
weemannie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #4
lostdoggy
King Duffus

I use Phase One C1 and batch process my RAW. Start it and walk away. I don't know about CA but I usually just adjust WB and Exposure and both can be grouped to adjust same in situation/locaton w/ just a few click. Adjust one and select al similar shots and apply adjustment.
lostdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #5
cdesperado

Phase One's Capture One won't handle 5D RAW files until later this winter... I use it FAR more than I use PC-CS2.

You can read more here.
http://forum.phaseone.com/viewtopic....2f63e1e5c38023
cdesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #6
cdesperado

Oh... and you are DEFINITELY not alone in thinking the Canon software tool is a piece of crap. It is the most user un-friendly thing I have ever come across.
cdesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #7
Wilf

I used DPP once or twice, now only use Raw Shooter Essentials. It's a free download from Pixmantec
MUCH better than DPP

Wilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #8
Asmodeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf
I used DPP once or twice, now only use Raw Shooter Essentials. It's a free download from Pixmantec
MUCH better than DPP
RSE won't do him much good unless they've added 5D support in the last 12 hours (last time I checked).
300mm F2.8L IS -- Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX -- Canon 1.4x & 2x II TC
Speedlite 580EX (3x) w/CP-E3 -- Speedlite ST-E2
Asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #9
Wavy C

Just a quick question - how do you guys save an image after processing in DPP, Capture One, or Raw Shooter? As a jpeg, tiff or what before reopening in photoshop?

I notice DPP has a 'Transfer to Photoshop" menu option but it doesn't work for me. Photoshop fires up but closes again before the image in DPP gets loaded.
Wavy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #10
rgravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy C
I notice DPP has a 'Transfer to Photoshop" menu option but it doesn't work for me. Photoshop fires up but closes again before the image in DPP gets loaded.
I think I read somewhere that DPP has a bug and will just close Photoshop.
Old 6th of October 2005 (Thu)   #11
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikle
As a recent convert from the dark side (Knickers or something like that ) and now a proud 5D owner I have to express my disappointment with Canon's RAW conversion tool. I thought Thingy Capture was slow and clunky but the end result was pleasing. Is it me or is there genuinely no chromatic aberration tool in DPP. I would appreciate some guidance from the more experience Canon digital shooters. I use ACR but consider that a part solution as well. Apart from this it's nice to be back with Canon.
Just curious, but what do you feel ACR is missing? I've been pretty pleased with it myself, but there are a still few things I would like to see including being able to see the AF points like with EOS Viewer Utility.

Bob_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2005 (Fri)   #12
Lucato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf
MUCH better than DPP
I'm sorry, but I can't agree.

DDP 2.0.3.7 is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Raw Shooter Essentials 2005 in my opinion. I've downloaded RSE after reading your post and I noticed that the RAW treatment into RSE is so "urgh!" and its speed is so slow. So, your image will look much better when treating it into DDP.

Last edited by Lucato : 25th of November 2005 (Fri) at 17:40.
Lucato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2005 (Fri)   #13
reggie

I find RSP better for shots that don't have humans or anything with skin in other wise I reach for DPP
reggie is offline   Reply With Quote