FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 02 May 2011 (Monday) 13:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

scotthidley
Joined Jul 2006
510 posts
CT, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I just tried connecting my cameras (5DC and 350D) for the first time to this laptop. The EOS utility will not recognize them. The closest I got was with the 350D in print mode for communication where the computer recognized the model and said to switch communication settings. The 5D doesn't seem to connect at all.

I never had this problem on the old laptop Vista 64 system. I am now on a Windows 7 64 system. I have tried reinstalling an older version of EOS utility (version 2.3 from the Canon CD), and still have had no luck. I have also tried running the software in Vista 64 compatibility mode.

I'm guessing this is more of an issue with the laptop then the Canon software. I've used Zoom browser and DPP quite a bit. As I have always used a memory card reader on this computer, I have been unaware of the problem.

Please post some suggestions as I'm stumped at the moment.

Post #1, May 02, 2011 13:28:24

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
scotthidley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2006
510 posts
CT, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

In case it's related, I'm also running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I had an older version of Kaspersky as well as Norton 360 on the old laptop with no issues.

Post #2, May 02, 2011 13:41:35

110yd
Joined Jan 2005
592 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

scotthidley wrote in post #12333745external link
In case it's related, I'm also running Kaspersky Internet Security 2010. I had an older version of Kaspersky as well as Norton 360 on the old laptop with no issues.

This is somewhat a long shot, but it may be related to the settings in the camera. I had a similar problem with a 20D and it was resolved by making a change in the settings on the camera. The exact setting in the camera was under the communication menu on the camera. Try changing the setting point to point.

Hope this helps,

110yd

Post #3, May 02, 2011 19:45:15

scotthidley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2006
510 posts
CT, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've tried both methods of the pc connect or ptp many times on several ports. I've managed to get my wifes Vista OS laptop to connect to the 350D / Rebel XT. I cannot get either laptop to acknowledge the driver for the 5D (Win 7 won't install this from the CD, the Vista computer would) even with installing the driver after downloading it from Canon's website, I cannot get it to connect. I know the cable is good now, and the USB ports have worked for any other device connection I've tried.

Post #4, May 04, 2011 13:26:36

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,630 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS Utility not recognizing cameras on new laptop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES