Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of May 2011 (Mon)   #1
love_ekim

Default Canon G12 LCD screen replacement?

Hello, I just bought a canon G12 4 months ago but somehow the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white. I ordered a new LCD screen from the canon parts department in New Jersey because sending it to the main parts department and having ca repair it will cost much more, I figured. I also have a warranty but i was positive they would still make me pay for the damage so i decided to just order a new lcd screen. I realize a new problem... I have to replace the LCD screen myself AND get the camera to work properly. I have read some articles online where people that replaced the LCD screen on other cameras have met new problems after the replacement with the camera. Will i be able to just unscrew the lcd screen and replace it with a new one... because thats what i was planning and hoping to do. What should I do? should i cancel my order?

Please help! I'm devastated!!!
love_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #2
Geodude

Default Re: Canon G12 LCD screen replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_ekim View Post
Hello, I just bought a canon G12 4 months ago but somehow the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white. I ordered a new LCD screen from the canon parts department in New Jersey because sending it to the main parts department and having ca repair it will cost much more, I figured. I also have a warranty but i was positive they would still make me pay for the damage so i decided to just order a new lcd screen. I realize a new problem... I have to replace the LCD screen myself AND get the camera to work properly. I have read some articles online where people that replaced the LCD screen on other cameras have met new problems after the replacement with the camera. Will i be able to just unscrew the lcd screen and replace it with a new one... because thats what i was planning and hoping to do. What should I do? should i cancel my order?

Please help! I'm devastated!!!
Terrible news

I'd cancel the order and send it into a Canon repair centre and bite the bullet as they know what they are doing......best to spend a few more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because the camera will 1. work when it comes back physically and any electronic's 2. last along time for you to carry on taking superb photo's. Don't scrimp on this..not worth it.
Geodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #3
CarloY

love_ekim,
Assuming G12 has a tethered mode as previous G's, try connecting to your PC/other via USB cable.

Test out what still works. Take some pics using RemoteCapture software (or whatever it's called now), and review them on the PC.

Also test out Windows browsing of the SD Card while it is in the camera (windows explorer).

Lastly, connect the Video Out port to your TV. I think in that mode you will actually see the camera settings and menus as well as previewing/shooting display to take a picture. Again test out what works and make notes of what's wrong.

If all of the above works normally, then maybe nothing else has been affected and you can simply swap out the LCD component.
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #4
Mortimer62

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_ekim View Post
the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white.
As said above, connect your G12 to your TV set with the AV Cable wich is in the box.
The picture is the same as the screen one.

In your situation, a Canon Repair Centre seems to be the best choice.

Last edited by Mortimer62 : 4th of May 2011 (Wed) at 19:22.
Mortimer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of May 2011 (Thu)   #5
ZoneV

On my DIY link directory you could find How Tos for other Canon compact cameras. If the rest of the camera works godd, you should check out these, and estimate if you could do that.

I would do it on myself.
Old 9th of May 2011 (Mon)   #6
oneil23

Thanks ZoneV for sharing your DIY link directory. I really need to try fixing this stuff on my own. I guess I could do it if only I have some ideas or guides to follow.