FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 02 May 2011 (Monday) 19:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

love_ekim
Hatchling
Joined May 2011
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello, I just bought a canon G12 4 months ago but somehow the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white. I ordered a new LCD screen from the canon parts department in New Jersey because sending it to the main parts department and having ca repair it will cost much more, I figured. I also have a warranty but i was positive they would still make me pay for the damage so i decided to just order a new lcd screen. I realize a new problem... I have to replace the LCD screen myself AND get the camera to work properly. I have read some articles online where people that replaced the LCD screen on other cameras have met new problems after the replacement with the camera. Will i be able to just unscrew the lcd screen and replace it with a new one... because thats what i was planning and hoping to do. What should I do? should i cancel my order?

Please help! I'm devastated!!! :cry:

Post #1, May 02, 2011 19:53:13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Geodude
Joined Oct 2010
55 posts
United Kingdom
[MORE/SHARE]

love_ekim wrote in post #12335774external link
Hello, I just bought a canon G12 4 months ago but somehow the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white. I ordered a new LCD screen from the canon parts department in New Jersey because sending it to the main parts department and having ca repair it will cost much more, I figured. I also have a warranty but i was positive they would still make me pay for the damage so i decided to just order a new lcd screen. I realize a new problem... I have to replace the LCD screen myself AND get the camera to work properly. I have read some articles online where people that replaced the LCD screen on other cameras have met new problems after the replacement with the camera. Will i be able to just unscrew the lcd screen and replace it with a new one... because thats what i was planning and hoping to do. What should I do? should i cancel my order?

Please help! I'm devastated!!! :cry:

Terrible news :(

I'd cancel the order and send it into a Canon repair centre and bite the bullet as they know what they are doing......best to spend a few more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because the camera will 1. work when it comes back physically and any electronic's 2. last along time for you to carry on taking superb photo's. Don't scrimp on this..not worth it.

Post #2, May 04, 2011 14:40:55

CarloY
Joined Sep 2009
589 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

love_ekim,
Assuming G12 has a tethered mode as previous G's, try connecting to your PC/other via USB cable.

Test out what still works. Take some pics using RemoteCapture software (or whatever it's called now), and review them on the PC.

Also test out Windows browsing of the SD Card while it is in the camera (windows explorer).

Lastly, connect the Video Out port to your TV. I think in that mode you will actually see the camera settings and menus as well as previewing/shooting display to take a picture. Again test out what works and make notes of what's wrong.

If all of the above works normally, then maybe nothing else has been affected and you can simply swap out the LCD component.

Post #3, May 04, 2011 15:35:15 as a reply to Geodude's post 54 minutes earlier.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

Mortimer62
Joined Nov 2010
24 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

love_ekim wrote in post #12335774external link
the LCD screen broke. I cannot see a thing and the pictures come out white.

As said above, connect your G12 to your TV set with the AV Cable wich is in the box.
The picture is the same as the screen one.

In your situation, a Canon Repair Centre seems to be the best choice.

Post #4, May 04, 2011 19:10:59

ZoneV
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
1,437 posts
Germany
[MORE/SHARE]

On my DIY link directory you could find How Tos for other Canon compact cameras. If the rest of the camera works godd, you should check out these, and estimate if you could do that.

I would do it on myself.

Post #5, May 05, 2011 05:21:06

DIY-Homepageexternal link - Image Galleryexternal link - Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
oneil23
Hatchling
Joined Jan 2011
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks ZoneV for sharing your DIY link directory. I really need to try fixing this stuff on my own. I guess I could do it if only I have some ideas or guides to follow.

Post #6, May 09, 2011 04:32:25

find employment historyexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,900 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon G12 LCD screen replacement?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES