Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #1
picard

Default Do young brides have higher expectations/choosy than older brides?

Do young brides have higher expectations/choosy than older brides?
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM
picard is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #2
tfizzle

Default Re: Do young brides have higher expectations/choosy than older brides?

there's no clear cut answers. In my experience, no. I think the older you go in the age bracket it could very well be their 2nd, 3rd or whatever wedding and so they don't expect as much time and resources (don't read that as "expectation") but I've seen where their first wedding wasn't much of a wedding and this time they are going all out.

It just depends on personality type and has more to do with your business model/contract than demographics (in general, different markets could have clients that are more specific/overbearing)
tfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #3
picard

do mothers of young brides tend to bossy toward main photographer ? I am curious. I assume the mother would wants the best for her daughter.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #4
Red Tie Photography
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard View Post
Do young brides have higher expectations/choosy than older brides?
Quote:
do mothers of young brides tend to bossy toward main photographer ? I am curious. I assume the mother would wants the best for her daughter.
Its on a case by case basis. Some, sure. Others, not. Its good to know your clients when figuring out your target segment, but generalizing this not something I would do.
Red Tie Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #5
suecassidy
Goldmember

That's an interesting question, Picard. I mean, you only get married twice, afterall! A gut reaction to the question would have me saying "yes", but when I think about it, I'm not so sure. DIFFERENT expectations maybe....I"m going to be interested in reading what others think.
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3
suecassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #6
picard

I met a young woman at work who is very picky in choosing the photographer. She wanted the photographer who uses top quality gear; she also chooses the type of pose for engagement/ wedding day. It took her several months to choose the photographer based on referrals from relatives.
Old 3rd of May 2011 (Tue)   #7
cruleworld

Quote:
That probably depends if it is their first daughter or favorite daughter to get married.
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #8
PeaceFire
Goldmember

Quote:
I met a young woman at work who is very picky in choosing the photographer. She wanted the photographer who uses top quality gear; she also chooses the type of pose for engagement/ wedding day. It took her several months to choose the photographer based on referrals from relatives.
And my friend's 60 year old Mom also did this for her wedding this past weekend.
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #9
SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop

the younger the bride & groom, the more I notice the parents are involved in the process

SMP_Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #10
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

I think the question would be better answered by having a good understanding of how your clients are going click before you ever meet them. There is much to be learned from understanding how and why people spend their money.

I would encourage you to study " the 5 buying habbits of the american public " and have a clear vision as to how peoples personalities come into play when they make financial decisions. Virtually every major corporate player in the country knows how to play to each of the cleints should they choose to.

High expectation clients are a good thing,, especially if they have money. They are high achievers, they desire the best, they are confident, they hate commonness and they want unique products. I personally love these types of clients becuase all you have to do is find out what they want and determine if you can meet the expectations. If you can, its usually a nice paying gig.

One word of caution. A high expectation bride looking for someone to come in at a very low price is someone you dont want to deal with. No bucks and High expectations spells out a day full from hell. Read her very well.

Most photographers are higher achievers and will set high expectations for themselves. So high expectation brides and high expectation photographers are a good fit. My suggestion is to meet her expectations if you can, and quote her your best package. She will probably pay it and then some.
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #11
picard

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphotography View Post
I think the question would be better answered by having a good understanding of how your clients are going click before you ever meet them. There is much to be learned from understanding how and why people spend their money.

I would encourage you to study " the 5 buying habbits of the american public " and have a clear vision as to how peoples personalities come into play when they make financial decisions. Virtually every major corporate player in the country knows how to play to each of the cleints should they choose to.

High expectation clients are a good thing,, especially if they have money. They are high achievers, they desire the best, they are confident, they hate commonness and they want unique products. I personally love these types of clients becuase all you have to do is find out what they want and determine if you can meet the expectations. If you can, its usually a nice paying gig.

One word of caution. A high expectation bride looking for someone to come in at a very low price is someone you dont want to deal with. No bucks and High expectations spells out a day full from hell. Read her very well.

Most photographers are higher achievers and will set high expectations for themselves. So high expectation brides and high expectation photographers are a good fit. My suggestion is to meet her expectations if you can, and quote her your best package. She will probably pay it and then some.
thanks for your tip.
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #12
Tigerkn
Goldmember

What Bob said "I don't think age has much to do with it."

My up coming 2 weddings, 1 young bride (20+) and 1 older bride (40+) and they both have equally high expectations. Maybe a lillte more with the young one as she found the "Wedding photos list" from the web. It's 3 pages long.

Last edited by Tigerkn : 4th of May 2011 (Wed) at 15:20.
Tigerkn is online now   Reply With Quote