Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #16
plasticmotif
Goldmember

Default Re: Battle of the 50mm. Nifty Fifty vs. MF Nikon, Super Takumar, & Yashinon

The super Tak's got the best colors :P

If you used AWB, clouds could throw this entire sampling out.

plasticmotif is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #17
rxjohn

Default Re: Battle of the 50mm. Nifty Fifty vs. MF Nikon, Super Takumar, & Yashinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticmotif View Post
The super Tak's got the best colors :P

If you used AWB, clouds could throw this entire sampling out.
Good observation. Fortunately, not a piece of cloud in the sky today in Dallas. I had difficulties taking a picture of the sky for sensor cleaning.

Now.. Super Tak and Yashinon are both going through UV treatment for de-yellowing due to Thorium oxidation. About half way there as lens isn't as yellow as before but it still needs to get more clear.
rxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #18
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

John,, thanks for the test but it's not really worthy as you have exposure irregularities and the background is too bright.

What I would have done is found a more evenly lit subject (including background) and have shot on manual.

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Last edited by yogestee : 4th of May 2011 (Wed) at 16:17.
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #19
mondayshift
Goldmember

does it look like the niffty is getting better?
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #20
rxjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogestee View Post
John,, thanks for the test but it's not really worthy as you have exposure irregularities and the background is too bright.

What I would have done is found a more evenly lit subject (including background) and have shot on manual.
Here's the story. I wanted to test out the wide open apertures. At first, the owl was out in the sun. But the problem was that I couldn't properly expose it without ND filter at aperture below 2.

I may try again with studio lights. Or inside.
rxjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #21
Mike Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxjohn View Post
I don't know if they cost little. Nikkor cost me $140 and Super Tak cost me $99.

Yashinon came in a box full of lenses and cameras for a $100. I posted this on "One Man's Junk" thread.

I keep thinking one day I'll use some of these lenses on a 4/3 camera.

But I'm pretty certain I'll be using the Nikkor for the Video on my 5D Mark II.
I guess I've just had good luck with these things. I don't think I've paid over $50 for any of my 50s.

AF: 1D3 | 1D2 | 30D // 50/1.8 Mk I | Sigma 8-16 | Sigma 24-60/2.8 EX | 70-200/2.8L | 100-400L
MF: Rokinon 14/2.8 | Zuiko 24/2.8 | Zuiko 50/1.4 | Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 | Tamron SP 300/2.8
Mike Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2011 (Wed)   #22
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Mate,, I understand. Test like these are quite difficult to set up, especially if you want to be totally unbiased.

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #23
Rum Maximus

I saw this thread yesterday and figured I would throw in a couple photos for comparison. Both were shot at f/1.4 & 1/250sec but one is from a Sigma 30mm and the second is from a Super-Takumar 50mm. My thinking was to compare two different lenses both wide open at f/1.4 and there's the fact I don't have a 50mm in f/1.4 other than the Super-Tak.

So anyway, the first shot is from the Sigma 30mm (cropped in to get approx the same visual size as the 50mm) and the second shot is taken with the Super-Takumar. All EXIF data should be intact.

Lighting was the same for both and the camera was on a tripod. All I did was switch lenses.

Overall I really like the Super-Takumar and it's making me look at MF lenses more, mainly for the aspect of it being "different" from the norm. Next on the hit list is either a 24mm or 28mm f/3.5 Takumar.
M39/M42 : Super-Takumar 28mm /3.5 | Mir-1 37mm /2.8 | Super-Takumar 50mm /1.4 | Industar-50 50mm /3.5 | Petri CC Auto 55mm /1.8 | Jupiter-9 85mm /2 | Carenar 135mm /2.8 | Jupiter-37A 135mm /3.5 | SMC Takumar 200mm /4
Rum Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote