FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 May 2011 (Thursday) 20:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kpshulman
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2011
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I was out shooting today with my 5D Mark II. After shooting about 200 images in RAW2 on my Transcend 16GB 133x CF card, the camera stops working in the middle of shooting and I get a message saying "Card not formatted. Format card with this camera". One, what causes something like this to happen? And two, are the images I shot prior to the error message gone? If not, how can I get them back? I put the CF card in my PC and I get a message saying that the card needs to be formatted there as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin

Post #1, May 05, 2011 20:35:24

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Fiddlefingers
Joined Dec 2008
193 posts
Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't delete the data so you could possibly format and then use recovery software to retrieve the images. Just Google for photo recovery software. Of course, if there is a problem with the card this is unlikely to work.

Post #2, May 06, 2011 02:51:39

http://www.tomgilland.​co.ukexternal link

Saint728
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
2,892 posts
Honolulu Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

Fiddlefingers wrote in post #12357434external link
As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't delete the data so you could possibly format and then use recovery software to retrieve the images. Just Google for photo recovery software. Of course, if there is a problem with the card this is unlikely to work.

Don't format your card. By doing that it will delete everything that was on there. Do the data recovery first.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Post #3, May 06, 2011 02:55:48

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickrexternal link
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/external link

ralff
Joined May 2008
749 posts
Asheville NC
[MORE/SHARE]

Did you format the card in camera before you started using it? I always format in camera after downloading images or installing a new card and have never had problems.

Post #4, May 06, 2011 04:04:50 as a reply to Saint728's post 1 hour earlier.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralphexternal link

Fiddlefingers
Joined Dec 2008
193 posts
Scotland
[MORE/SHARE]

Saint728 wrote in post #12357444external link
Don't format your card. By doing that it will delete everything that was on there. Do the data recovery first.

Formatting doesn't remove data, it only removes the TOC (table of contents) and this is what the recovery software rebuilds. As long as no new data is written to the card the original info can be recovered. This is why, to securely remove all data, you need special software that overwrites the whole memory card or hard drive with random 0's and 1's. This usually needs to be done a minimum of 3 times.

Post #5, May 06, 2011 05:19:03

http://www.tomgilland.​co.ukexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,138 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Card not formatted error" while shooting with 5D Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES