Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of May 2011 (Thu)   #1
kpshulman

Default "Card not formatted error" while shooting with 5D Mark II

I was out shooting today with my 5D Mark II. After shooting about 200 images in RAW2 on my Transcend 16GB 133x CF card, the camera stops working in the middle of shooting and I get a message saying "Card not formatted. Format card with this camera". One, what causes something like this to happen? And two, are the images I shot prior to the error message gone? If not, how can I get them back? I put the CF card in my PC and I get a message saying that the card needs to be formatted there as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin
kpshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #2
Fiddlefingers

Default Re: "Card not formatted error" while shooting with 5D Mark II

As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't delete the data so you could possibly format and then use recovery software to retrieve the images. Just Google for photo recovery software. Of course, if there is a problem with the card this is unlikely to work.
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #3
Saint728
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlefingers View Post
As far as I'm aware, formatting doesn't delete the data so you could possibly format and then use recovery software to retrieve the images. Just Google for photo recovery software. Of course, if there is a problem with the card this is unlikely to work.
Don't format your card. By doing that it will delete everything that was on there. Do the data recovery first.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Saint728 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #4
ralff

Did you format the card in camera before you started using it? I always format in camera after downloading images or installing a new card and have never had problems.
Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 http://www.flickr.com/photos/WNC_Ralph
ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2011 (Fri)   #5
Fiddlefingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint728 View Post
Don't format your card. By doing that it will delete everything that was on there. Do the data recovery first.
Formatting doesn't remove data, it only removes the TOC (table of contents) and this is what the recovery software rebuilds. As long as no new data is written to the card the original info can be recovered. This is why, to securely remove all data, you need special software that overwrites the whole memory card or hard drive with random 0's and 1's. This usually needs to be done a minimum of 3 times.