Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 08:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STE-2 & Line OF Sight

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
May 10, 2011 08:55 |  #1

I have read on here numerous times (and seen the Offical Canon Instructions) one ofthe disadvantages with the STE-2 is that is must have line of sight with the flash to be able to work. Well at least in my limited testing I would have to say that it is not all true. Take a look at the attached images. I was playing/testing my ST-E2 with my 550ex at work today. I put the flash on a stand with the IR facing the wall behind a cloumn (see 2nd photo). I went to the other side of the room (23 feet away) and lined up almost with the column edge. As you can see in the photo the flash is nowhere to be seen but the flash easily fired. Yes the room had no lights on, but I turned them on increasing the light in the room by almost 2 full stops (1/5-1/30) and the flash still fired. My next test will be outside in the sun to see what results I get.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,221 posts
Joined Jun 2006
Fareham, UK
May 13, 2011 18:20 |  #2

Indoors you certainly don't need line of sight. I'd be interested to know how you got on outdoors - I haven't tried that myself yet at longer distances.

Mark.

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
May 13, 2011 18:40 as a reply to Madweasel's post |  #3

that's actually my next test. besides a distance test inside. Now I don't expect it to rival a radio popper in all circumstances by any means, especially outside, it's more to see what the actual limitations are beyond what everybody apparently regurgitates from Canon.
I did one more inside with the flash off of the stand and on feet so I could get it next to the wall. I had it behind a metal shelf and turned the IR toward the wall, nothing...then I turned the IR toward the room and pointed the camera towards where the flash was hopefully going to hit and the flash fired..from about 15 feet away. Pleasantly surprised so far.;)
I will keep this updated as I do more tests.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
May 13, 2011 20:57 as a reply to digirebelva's post |  #4

Couple more quick non-scientific test results
Outside range (at night) roughly 71' with line of site
Put the flash behind a tree on the ground, had the IR pointing out and was able to fire the flash from a distance of between 35'-40' at a rough angle of 30-40 degrees..(blinking IR not visible) and ST-E2 pointing straight ahead. Of course the further back I went the shallower the angle needed to be. But at least you can hide the flash and still trigger it within reason..again at night..;)
Daylight tests tomorrow

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,183 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
May 13, 2011 21:31 |  #5

Indoors the IR signal will bounce off walls. I scarcely think about flash placement indoors with the ST-E2 because it is very reliable in my experience.

Outdoors things get tougher. As a rule it is a good idea outside to try and face the flash units towards the camera.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
May 13, 2011 23:37 as a reply to JeffreyG's post |  #6

I'm not surprised at the indoor results. The results of using the STE-2 outdoors has been so inconsistent I have moved away from using the 580 flashes altogether. It does work if you are close and in line of sight outdoors but your results will vary depending on elements in your environment. Nonetheless, interesting results and it is certainly worth the testing that OP has done to get a sense of what their equipment is capable of.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
May 14, 2011 05:38 |  #7

JeffreyG wrote in post #12405934external link
Outdoors things get tougher. As a rule it is a good idea outside to try and face the flash units towards the camera.

And thats what I found out, as long as I have the IR turned towards the camera/ST-E2, I can reasonably hide the flash and still trigger it...which goes against Canon's documentation on the ST-E2..you know it HAS to have line-of-site..

1 thing I forgot to mention on the distance test last night, the flash wasnt immediate, when I pushed the pilot button to trigger, there was a heartbeat of time difference..I quess for the signal to reach the flash..

sponsored links

858 views & 0 likes for this thread
STE-2 & Line OF Sight
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.