how would you shoot portrait outdoor on cloudy day?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 10 May 2011 (Tuesday) 19:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

picard
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

how would you shoot portrait outdoor on cloudy day? There is no harsh sun but the sky isn't dark either.

Would you use a softbox ?

Post #1, May 10, 2011 19:12:30

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
bdpaco
Joined Aug 2009
696 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cloudy days are usually good for diffused lighting...you can shoot using natural light or add a little flash for fill...I like to underexpose the sky by a stop or 2 and use a softbox to expose the subject...

Post #2, May 10, 2011 19:16:11

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/external link
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.comexternal link

picard
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2006
1,996 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

bdpaco wrote in post #12385874external link
Cloudy days are usually good for diffused lighting...you can shoot using natural light or add a little flash for fill...I like to underexpose the sky by a stop or 2 and use a softbox to expose the subject...

thank you for your tip.

Post #3, May 10, 2011 19:18:01

Canon 1DM4,7D, Rebel XT
580 EX II, 430 EX II
Canon 70-200mm IS II L , Canon 85mm F1.2 L II, Canon macro 100mm F/2.8, 18-55mm kit
Sigma 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6, Sigma 10-22mm, Sigma 50mm F/1.4
Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 EX DG HSM

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,507 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

That's perfect weather. Yes I use an off camera light in a small soft box, to provide directional lighting.

Post #4, May 10, 2011 20:22:39

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Peacefield
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
4,019 posts
NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #12386280external link
That's perfect weather. Yes I use an off camera light in a small soft box, to provide directional lighting.

Or still get them under some kind of overhang where directional light is provided naturally.

Post #5, May 11, 2011 06:58:30

Robert Wayne Photographyexternal link

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
32,479 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

picard wrote in post #12385843external link
how would you shoot portrait outdoor on cloudy day? There is no harsh sun but the sky isn't dark either.

Would you use a softbox ?

It depends. Overcast can be perfect for portraits just don't show the sky. I often shoot portraits outside on overcast days without flash. Sometimes you need nothing, other times you may need a reflector and other times it may some fill. There are no hard fast formulas or rules only the skill in being able to see if the light is right and that takes time to learn.

Post #6, May 11, 2011 07:11:27

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,479 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Peacefield wrote in post #12388398external link
Or still get them under some kind of overhang where directional light is provided naturally.

Even on the most overcast days unless you are shooting at the bad times anyway 10-3 or so there is usually some direction to the light. The key is learning to see it and when its right and where to position the subjects and then if the lights not right and ya still have to shoot, having the skills and the equipment to get the shot anyway.

Bresson never used or liked strobes at all and I rarely see portraits that are better than his,

Post #7, May 11, 2011 07:23:02

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

It depends. Even on overcast days, the light is still coming mostly from a high position, even if it does have a little direction to it. It can bring out bags under eyes and on people with deep set eyes, it can darken the eyes quite a bit.

Quite honestly, when I shoot it's often the norm rather than the exception to require additional light for a pleasing portrait on an overcast day. Whether you use a flash or reflector is irrelevant, as long as you fill in the darker areas that need to be filled.

I just shot a wedding a couple weeks ago in beautiful Jasper, Alberta. The ceremony was outside under a cloudy sky. Most people would say that it's perfect conditions, but I still saw lots of room for improvement. So I ended up setting up a flash to fill in the shadows on the couple. A reflector just isn't practical for a ceremony. One of the uncle bob's even told me that I shouldn't use the flash because it's cloudy. (I told him no, and he pretty much rolled his eyes at me and considered me an idiot from then on)

The point is, there is no rule for "cloudy days" or "sunny days". Every situation has to be evaluated individually and shot accordingly. Most people would say a cloudy day is perfect, but you should still be just as diligent and critical of the situation to produce the best product you can.

Post #8, May 11, 2011 11:46:59

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Gear

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
Joined Jan 2003
18,065 posts
The middle of the UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh boy every wedding I go to I pray for cloudy days, I just never tell the bride.

Post #9, May 11, 2011 11:48:11

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Siteexternal link - Video Siteexternal link - Blog -external linkGear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

btw here are the SOOC jpegs from the wedding I was talking about.

On the left is the "perfect cloudy day light", on the right is a flash to fill in the holes that the overhead cloudy light leaves empty. Everyone has their own opinion, but I think the flashed shot looks better, with shadows and all. I'm sure the bride would prefer the flashed shot too.

IMAGE: http://www.nightanddayphoto.ca/misc/forumpics/POTN/mandy.jpg

Post #10, May 11, 2011 11:56:18 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 4 hours earlier.

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,479 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

LLoyd for me your light is to strong. I would have used it as fill to just kick up the eye sockets a bit.

Post #11, May 11, 2011 20:03:24 as a reply to picturecrazy's post 8 hours earlier.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,479 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Available light later in the day no flash heavy overcast.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_7500-2.jpg

Post #12, May 11, 2011 22:55:04 as a reply to airfrogusmc's post 2 hours earlier.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

airfrogusmc wrote in post #12392509external link
LLoyd for me your light is to strong. I would have used it as fill to just kick up the eye sockets a bit.

And for me I would have added light to your shot to fill in the under eyes a bit to get rid of the bags. A catchlight would make the eyes sparkle. A lower fill souce would also make the teeth a bit brighter and whiter. Point is, we all have our preferences to what we find important. I tried a lower light level but preferred the non-bag shot to the baggy ones.

Post #13, May 11, 2011 22:58:15

-Lloyd

airfrogusmc
Joined May 2007
32,479 posts
Oak Park, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

picturecrazy wrote in post #12393483external link
And for me I would have added light to your shot to fill in the under eyes a bit to get rid of the bags. We all have our preferences to what we find important. I tried a lower light level but preferred the non-bag shot to the baggy ones.

And thats where we differ. I would never want to destroy that beautiful quality of light.

Post #14, May 11, 2011 23:00:56

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

airfrogusmc wrote in post #12393495external link
And thats where we differ. I would never want to destroy that beautiful quality of light.

I totally respect your difference in opinion and style, but that doesn't mean mine is any less relevant or is incorrect. I personally don't find that light quality to be beautiful at all.

Post #15, May 11, 2011 23:03:12

-Lloyd

LIST NEARBY THREADS
21,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
how would you shoot portrait outdoor on cloudy day?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES