Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #1
Jon Foster
is it safe?

Default Lens Bag Suggestion - 70-200

Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation for a lens bag to use with the Canon 70-200 with the hood attached? I'm looking for something I can carry with one lens in it either slung over a shoulder or attached to a belt.

The Canon LZ1324 would be fine except you can't use it with the hood attached when it's facing forward.

Jon.

Check out my photos @ PBase.com & ModelMayhem.com
Jon Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #2
Staszek
Goldmember

Default Re: Lens Bag Suggestion - 70-200

A single lens bag? Think Tank makes a pouch with a pop-down zipper to make room for the hood (attached). Thinktankphoto.com
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #3
Jon Foster
is it safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
A single lens bag? Think Tank makes a pouch with a pop-down zipper to make room for the hood (attached). Thinktankphoto.com
It looks like the Lens Changer 75 Pop Down would be the best option in their line-up. Would you happen to know how well they are padded? The pop down section and bottom don't look very thick.

Jon.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #4
Staszek
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Foster View Post
It looks like the Lens Changer 75 Pop Down would be the best option in their line-up. Would you happen to know how well they are padded? The pop down section and bottom don't look very thick.

Jon.
Padding is overrated. The modular system is slightly padded. More than enough for photojournalists like myself. Some of the guys I work with at AP use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjdjdAp4oG8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxiUEEfCykM
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #5
Savas K

The skin system is zero padded, except where the rain cover is stored. Then you got some padding in that one spot. If OP wants padded, look at Lowepro's new line of belted pouches. Or maybe TT has one in their modular pouch series.
Savas K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #6
yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember

Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but I have the ThinkTank Digital Holster 50. It accommodates a gripped body with a 70-200 attached, hood reversed, and full padding. There is an extension that pops down so you can have the hood in position but there is no padding in the extension. The Digital Holster 30 is the same thing, but for an ungripped body. It doesn't show in the pictures on their website, but they come with a shoulder strap.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...ter-50-v2.aspx
Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #7
Jon Foster
is it safe?

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Lowepro 13x32 lens bag.

Anyone use one?

Jon.

Old 11th of May 2011 (Wed)   #8
Staszek
Goldmember

I've seen a guy using one of those (on his belt) with a 400 f/5.6. There's a good amount of padding... too much for my taste.

The TT item linked before has a good amount of padding IMO. The skin series has none, but the other set has some.
Old 12th of May 2011 (Thu)   #9
SuzyView
Cream of the Crop

I understand why people want to store their lenses with the hood attached, but I never do. To put the weight on the plastic hood seems risky to me. I like the lens bag the Canons tele's come in. :They are well padded and are thought out for use. If I am at a shoot and need the 24-70 and the 70-200, I tend to just bring my TT holster bag and my Lowepro Passport bags and when the 70-200 has to come off, I put it in the holster bag. TT's are wonderfully padded. I'd recommend almost anything they make.
5D2 7D & G12, the new iPad, iPhone 5 , 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags - 4 Domke, 3 Lowepro, 1 Crumpler, 2 Tamrac, 5 Kata, 3 Thinktanks, 1 Pelican, 1 Tenba bag, 1 Epiphanie Paris & 2 Coach Handbag! And no excuses.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

SuzyView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of May 2011 (Fri)   #10
landth

I am not entirely sure why you would want to carry so much a bigger bag so you don't have to reverse the hood....

It takes approx 3 seconds to turn it around, even for an old bastard like me, and then I can carry a smaller lighter and more "proportional" bag.
landth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of May 2011 (Fri)   #11
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

I always have my hood attached but it's not facing properly. It's reversed!
Old 13th of May 2011 (Fri)   #12
tgara
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Foster View Post
I'm thinking something along the lines of the Lowepro 13x32 lens bag.

Anyone use one?

Jon.
For storing my 70-200m I have the LowePro Case 3, which is similar:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...-3,1953,46.htm

The hood does need to be reversed though in order to close the zipper top. It won't be tall enough if you keep the hood in position.
tgara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of May 2011 (Fri)   #13
Pi_314

Quote:
Originally Posted by landth View Post
I am not entirely sure why you would want to carry so much a bigger bag so you don't have to reverse the hood....

It takes approx 3 seconds to turn it around, even for an old bastard like me, and then I can carry a smaller lighter and more "proportional" bag.
Plus one on that. You might as well get a backpack if you consider buying a lens bag that is 32cm long.
Pi_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of June 2011 (Sun)   #14
Jon Foster
is it safe?

So, I've been putting off getting the lens bag... Shot at a drag strip on Fathers Day and carried the 24-70 in the Canon LZ1324 (the bag that comes with the 70-200 f2.8 IS). What a nightmare! No matter what I did I couldn't keep my pants up. The lens/bag was way too heavy to keep on my belt and be mobile. I had to run between spots on the track to shoot. Each time I had to hold the bag and my pants from falling down. The stock shoulder strap isn't long enough either. It will barely go over one shoulder and slips off easily. Normally I like to cross the shoulder straps to the opposite side of my body when doing things like this.

So, a new bag is in order...

Jon.

Old 27th of June 2011 (Mon)   #15
Savas K

Think Tank has suspenders for their belt system. Two products, one separate for the belt, another that includes the belt.
Savas K is offline   Reply With Quote