Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #1
Canon_Lover
Goldmember

Default Longest possible USB cables for tether setup?

I am trying to get a tethered setup going as long as possible.

The minimum is 25' for my setup. Anything longer would be nice.

Is there a maximum distance for the USB in which it can transmit? If I link multiple cables together, would it start getting a lack of signal? The longest cable I have found so far is 25' mini USB to USB .

Also, what about a netbook with battery life over 8-10 hours? Anyone have any recommendations for one which can also run Canon DPP for tethering? As I understand, DPP requires 768 resolution. Aren't there ways to fake the higher resolution?

I'm looking at the ASUS UL30Vt X1K - Core 2 Duo 1.3 GHz - 13.3″ notebook, as it has 768 and long 10+ hours battery. Is there anything smaller? Or is this as small as I can go with retaining resolution and batter life?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

CL
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #2
John Schell

Default Re: Longest possible USB cables for tether setup?

I transmitted via a 25' cable to my MBP and then directly out to a external hard drive. Not a single problem.
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #3
MGW172

15 feet is the recommended lenght unless you connect it to a powered hub or powered extender.

And I just bought a Asus similar to what you describe for my wife.....getting about 7-8 hours of use (web, office.....light stuff) on a charge.

Last edited by MGW172 : 22nd of May 2011 (Sun) at 11:31.
MGW172 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #4
Canon_Lover
Goldmember

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys, I found the info I needed.

I will probably buy several extra batteries for the notebook just in case.

I plan on doing some BBC planet earth style setups and need to retain the control of the tethering, but gain as much distance as possible.

I looked, but are there no wireless setups that allow camera exposure controls along with live viewing?

I'm getting a little too OT, but what about wireless controlled 2-3 axis camera gimbals? A buddy at work apparently makes the best ones for RC planes and helicopters, but they cost $2500. His are called Triax or something like that. Hope to not have to spend that much, as I don't need stabilization.
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #5
Canon_Lover
Goldmember

I found this extender which claims 150 feet.

I gains power from both ends. Would the camera provide the necessary power in this setup? OR do I need something different? I need to be able to use this out in the woods, so no AC power will be available.

http://www.vpi.us/usbc5.html

B Extender, 1-port, 150'
Extend One Self-Powered or Bus-Powered USB Device up to 150 Feet.
* USB-C5-LC extends one USB device up to 150 feet.
* Compatible with USB PC, SUN and MAC computers.
* Compliant with USB 1.1 specifications.
* Local unit: One male USB Type A connector.
* Remote unit: one female USB Type A connector.
* Power
o Local unit: powered from attached computer.
o Remote unit: powered from USB computer attached to local unit.
* Package Includes:
o Local unit with 10 inch male USB Type A cable attached
o Remote unit
* Dimensions WxDxH (in.): 1.2x2.2x0.8
* Use CAT5/5e/6 UTP straight through cable for TIA/EIA-568B wiring terminated with standard RJ45 connectors (not included).
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #6
Sports_Dude

Check monoprice. There are a couple of USB extenders towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10303
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #7
Canon_Lover
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports_Dude View Post
Check monoprice. There are a couple of USB extenders towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10303
Damn, that's just the ticket!

Sweet! I think I've got a bunch of ethernet cable lying around somewhere. 150 feet would be super sweet. Although that distance will probably drop a lot once I use it in the cold weather.

This is going to be one heck of a sweet setup! The only missing link now, is finding a decently cheap 3 axis gimbal, or just sucking it up and buying the $2500 one which is super lightweight and autoservo stabilized.
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #8
J.Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon_Lover View Post
Also, what about a netbook with battery life over 8-10 hours?
You might replace your netbook/laptop "classic" HDD with a SSD.The best ones (Mushkin,G-Skill) aren't cheap but they make a big difference,energy consuming-wise as well as working speed.
Also,you might want to shut off or limit some of the netbook's hardware (e.g. WiFi) if you really don't need them at a given moment...this shall prolong your battery life even more.
HTH!
Regards,
60D,MKIIn,Ds MKIII __EF 50 f/1.4,EF 100 f/2.8 macro,EF 135 f/2.0L,EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II,Tamron 28-75 f/2.8,EF 70-200 f/2.8L,Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 VC USD ,EF 2xII TC__Marumi clear glass,UV,ND & CPL__ Kata bags__Speedlite 580EX & Metz 58 AF-2 w/Eneloops__ Sandisk __Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT & TRACKER AP-364 w/SBH-300's
J.Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of May 2011 (Sun)   #9
trekkiestud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon_Lover View Post
I am trying to get a tethered setup going as long as possible.

The minimum is 25' for my setup. Anything longer would be nice.

Is there a maximum distance for the USB in which it can transmit? If I link multiple cables together, would it start getting a lack of signal? The longest cable I have found so far is 25' mini USB to USB .

Also, what about a netbook with battery life over 8-10 hours? Anyone have any recommendations for one which can also run Canon DPP for tethering? As I understand, DPP requires 768 resolution. Aren't there ways to fake the higher resolution?

I'm looking at the ASUS UL30Vt X1K - Core 2 Duo 1.3 GHz - 13.3″ notebook, as it has 768 and long 10+ hours battery. Is there anything smaller? Or is this as small as I can go with retaining resolution and batter life?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

CL
Use this USB Super Booster Cat5 Extender and you can extend your tether 150'. I use it and it works as claimed. 150ft might be pushing it, I use mine with 100' cat 5 cord and have no problems whatsoever.
Also, for your Asus UL30Vt X1K make sure to get an extra extended battery,here's one and you won't have to worry about running out of power.

Last edited by Jon : 23rd of May 2011 (Mon) at 12:33. Reason: Amazon referrer codes removed.
trekkiestud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2011 (Sat)   #10
Kamilbas

you will not see any lack in speed unless you get an extension over 100m