FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 23 May 2011 (Monday) 06:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kompressor
Joined Aug 2010
305 posts
Southeast Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

My kids are obsessed with Oakleys. There's no way I'm buying them authentic glasses. I've searched online for replicas, there's quite a few dealers, but they all seem so shady. Can anyone recommend a website? Thanks.

Post #1, May 23, 2011 06:08:38

SmugMugexternal link
Can you take my picture on some railroad tracks?! No, that's illegal now. I'm really sorry.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
blougans
Joined Jan 2008
37 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If replicas is = to fake, pity you're not in Africa as they come walking to you on almost every street corner, I just have to stop at a intersection and a 'shade' seller will come walking my way trying to sell me some sun glasses , you can pick ' n choose ( all fake) :-), they try to sell you some "'fake'leys"/Adidas / Ray ban's even if you have sunglasses on, oh the joy of staying in africa .... :-)

Post #2, May 23, 2011 07:29:11

roosterslayer
Joined Oct 2010
994 posts
SF, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

i would be honest and tell them you aren't buying it. for one, if you don't know about the brand that well, there will be dead give aways that the product is fake. the last thing you need is for some other kid to call your kid out for rocking fake gear. em-bar-ras-sing.

i used to collect sneakers and once you start doing your hw, it is very easy to spot minor details. oakleys aren't that expensive in comparison to some other luxury brands. i would tell them to buy it themselves with birthday money or to get a job.

Post #3, May 23, 2011 09:21:39

flickrexternal link

mtnphtgrphr
POTN Photographer of the Year 2008

Joined Jan 2008
15,250 posts
Land O'Sky
[MORE/SHARE]

Tell them NO. Tell them they can earn and save their own money to buy a pair. If those sites you found appear shady... then you can bet that they probably ARE shady...

Hard work, and using their own money will teach them a far better lesson than buying them a pair, or buying them a fake pair.

Post #4, May 23, 2011 09:33:34

Jenn, gone back to novice photographer...
GEAR LIST http://...

yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,605 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

Asia,, in every market and mini mart.. Around 5 bucks a pair.

BTW,, I have a hobby. I collect fake watches. I have some lovely Rolex's and Montblancs . One Rolex I've had for about two years, keeps perfect time and hasn't missed a beat.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #5, May 23, 2011 21:36:45 as a reply to mtnphtgrphr's post 12 hours earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
Joined Jan 2008
7,691 posts
Louisville, KY
[MORE/SHARE]

mtnphtgrphr wrote in post #12462651external link
Tell them NO. Tell them they can earn and save their own money to buy a pair. If those sites you found appear shady... then you can bet that they probably ARE shady...

Hard work, and using their own money will teach them a far better lesson than buying them a pair, or buying them a fake pair.

Bravo.

A replica, by its very existence, represents the theft of someone's intellectual property, just like when someone steals one of our images for their own commercial use, or takes a jpeg to WalMart and makes a print without our permission. Oakley can better afford it, but there isnt a reason to encourage it.

Great advice,mtn.

Post #6, May 23, 2011 21:49:20

This space for rent.

yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"
Joined Dec 2007
13,605 posts
Aussie living in Laos
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is something quite interesting.

A few months ago a visited my optometrist to get a new pair of prescription sunglasses made up. I've been "seeing" her since 2004 and she has many of the brand name frames, which are the Real McCoys.

I some lines,there are cheaper versions of the same frames. Ray Ban, Oakley, D&G etc. For example a pair of Ray Ban were $280 but the same frames were also $90. I asked the question. The cheaper versions were factory seconds which didn't quite meet manufacturing standards and mainly hit the Asian market where people still want to buy iconic brands but due to lower incomes won't pay top dollar.

She also said that mainy of these glasses end up in the general markets at very cheap prices where they sell on quantity.

Interestingly, she also believes many of these glasses end up in the west, selling for top dollar.

Post #7, May 23, 2011 23:52:56 as a reply to mattograph's post 2 hours earlier.

Jurgen
50D~20D~700D~EOS M~S95

http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreueexternal link
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to buy replica Oakley sunglasses?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES