Tethered to a Laptop?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 26 May 2011 (Thursday) 00:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

BayAreaPhotog
Joined Aug 2002
211 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Do any of you shoot tethered to a Laptop or desktop? If so, can you get pretty long cords, say 15' or so? What software do you use? I am on a P.C. so I am curious to hear from p.c. users?

Post #1, May 26, 2011 00:34:49

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I like EOS Utilities for shooting thethered because it enables Live View shooting and the various camera controls.

As far as cords, I do shoot with two USB cords attached together, but for more than that you'd want either a wireless setup or at least a powered USB hub.

Post #2, May 26, 2011 00:51:52

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Bladerunner99
Joined Sep 2008
46 posts
Mississauga, ON
[MORE/SHARE]

I've shot tethered, you can get longer cables from Monoprice on the cheap!

Post #3, May 29, 2011 08:17:31

Hen3Ry
Joined Nov 2009
962 posts
Aptos, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

BayAreaPhotog wrote in post #12480953external link
Do any of you shoot tethered to a Laptop or desktop? If so, can you get pretty long cords, say 15' or so? What software do you use? I am on a P.C. so I am curious to hear from p.c. users?

Yes, you can get long USB cables. I think the max length for a single or connected USB cables is about 15 feet. If you want to shoot farther than that from your camera, you can get one of these.

IMAGE: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41h%2Bu8KKTtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Post #4, May 29, 2011 08:48:37

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

Damian75
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
1,623 posts
PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep I shoot tethered every chance I can, I don't do it too often on outside location shots but any indoor work where I don't need to move around a large area I shoot tethered. I personally shoot straight into Aperture which I love, I can set it up so it makes realtime backup of the images as they come in so thats a huge time saver. Also if you are going for a particular look like a type of color toning of B&W you can have a preset applied on import so you have an even better idea if you are getting what you want. I had rigged up a platform that mounts on a tripod for my laptop but now there is a company making all the stuff you would want http://www.tethertools​.com/external link they have a lot of great stuff. One thing I would recommend other than the USB booster extension cord listed above is a little thing called a jerk stopper that will keep you from pulling the USB cord out of your camera by accident.

Post #5, May 29, 2011 12:49:43

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
Joined Mar 2007
3,864 posts
Agoura Hills, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I shoot tethered to my editing PC whenever I need to do product shoots. That way after the shoot all the shots are loaded in LightRoom and ready to sort though. I have also shoot long exposure shots via tethered if I can't find my wired remote. EOS utility is a wonderful tool.

I would assume you could use a regular usb cable just longer, but like any other cable there will be a limit to the length of the cable before data loss or error will occur. I am not sure how long you can run a usb cable before hitting the cables limit.

Sevan

Post #6, May 29, 2011 13:21:42

ShotsInTimeexternal link / Gear List /Flickrexternal link / Canon Family Portraitexternal link
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Hen3Ry
Joined Nov 2009
962 posts
Aptos, CA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

S.E.V. wrote in post #12499438external link
I shoot tethered to my editing PC whenever I need to do product shoots. That way after the shoot all the shots are loaded in LightRoom and ready to sort though. I have also shoot long exposure shots via tethered if I can't find my wired remote. EOS utility is a wonderful tool.

I would assume you could use a regular usb cable just longer, but like any other cable there will be a limit to the length of the cable before data loss or error will occur. I am not sure how long you can run a usb cable before hitting the cables limit.

Sevan

As I said, the un-amplified distance for USB cables is about 15 feet.

Post #7, May 30, 2011 11:13:30

Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothèse-là.

jasonlitka
Joined Mar 2008
900 posts
Exton, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

Hen3Ry wrote in post #12503792external link
As I said, the un-amplified distance for USB cables is about 15 feet.

I've not tried shooting tethered with one, but I've had issues printing with a cable longer than 12ft without an active repeater.

Post #8, Jun 01, 2011 09:36:47

Jason Litka | Utter Ramblingsexternal link
7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.

Edshropshire
Joined Jul 2008
314 posts
Greenville, SC
[MORE/SHARE]

I am a PC user. I tether to a laptop in my studio. I use DSLR Remote Pro with my iPhone and laptop. I really like the combination. I can show the images to the subject/model or guest can watch the images as captured. I can also use the iPhone as a remote trigger which can be helpful at times. I find it really easy to use.

For a cord I have an extension so I guess I have about 12-14 feet. personally the extension is kind of a pain when it becomes unplugged, but I also now and then unplug the camera by accident. If I shot more in the studio I would probably get use to the leash and find it easier to use.

Post #9, Jun 01, 2011 14:08:56

5D MK2, 7D, 40D, 24-70 L, 70-200 f4 L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 28-135 IS, Sigma 15-30, Sigma 150-500, 580 MKII, 430 MKII, Alien Bees for studio work

roakey
Joined Dec 2009
32 posts
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

A post of mine copied from another conference...

Computer: HP Mini210-1000, Windows 7 starter SP1.
Canon 7D, firmware 1.2.5
Canon EOS utility, V2.10.0.0
Active USB cable extensions (10M): two USB2-AA-10M (NTI USB extendersexternal link)

Appears to work flawlessly. Zero or at worst extremely little latency difference when using two active USB2.0 10M extensions versus plugging the camera directly into the laptop. I bought two 10M cables so I didn't have to have extra wire coiled if I can get within 10M of the camera.

I have not run any long-term tests for problems like hanging, etc.

I do not know how fast the extenders will draw down the laptop’s battery.

Photographer suggestions:
• If you can, leave the photos on the camera. This will save the time of pushing files across the USB to the laptop.
• if you want to instantly see the photos on the laptop: Setup the Canon EOS utility to store the RAW photos on the camera, and only ship the .jpg files across. Set the .jpg to the lowest resolution possible to make the files as small as possible.

It's quite something being able to control the focus, exposure (both speed and aperture) flash firing, flash settings, ISO, etc. 60 feet away from the camera!

I have not had this setup "out in the field" yet, the above is all from office testing. The plan is to set the camera up next to a racetrack where I can't (and wouldn't) want to be situated and be able to take and review pictures from behind the comfort of a safety wall.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Roak

Ps. You don't have to click on the shutter release button to take pictures -- you can just press the space bar.

Post #10, Jun 03, 2011 11:01:48 as a reply to Edshropshire's post 1 day earlier.

roakeyatunderctekdotco​m (INVALID EMAIL)
<== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tethered to a Laptop?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES