Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > Computers
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of May 2011 (Thu)   #1
BayAreaPhotog

Default Tethered to a Laptop?

Do any of you shoot tethered to a Laptop or desktop? If so, can you get pretty long cords, say 15' or so? What software do you use? I am on a P.C. so I am curious to hear from p.c. users?
BayAreaPhotog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of May 2011 (Thu)   #2
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: Tethered to a Laptop?

I like EOS Utilities for shooting thethered because it enables Live View shooting and the various camera controls.

As far as cords, I do shoot with two USB cords attached together, but for more than that you'd want either a wireless setup or at least a powered USB hub.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2011 (Sun)   #3
Bladerunner99

I've shot tethered, you can get longer cables from Monoprice on the cheap!
Bladerunner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of May 2011 (Sun)   #4
Hen3Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaPhotog View Post
Do any of you shoot tethered to a Laptop or desktop? If so, can you get pretty long cords, say 15' or so? What software do you use? I am on a P.C. so I am curious to hear from p.c. users?
Yes, you can get long USB cables. I think the max length for a single or connected USB cables is about 15 feet. If you want to shoot farther than that from your camera, you can get one of these.

Hen3Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2011 (Sun)   #5
Damian75

Yep I shoot tethered every chance I can, I don't do it too often on outside location shots but any indoor work where I don't need to move around a large area I shoot tethered. I personally shoot straight into Aperture which I love, I can set it up so it makes realtime backup of the images as they come in so thats a huge time saver. Also if you are going for a particular look like a type of color toning of B&W you can have a preset applied on import so you have an even better idea if you are getting what you want. I had rigged up a platform that mounts on a tripod for my laptop but now there is a company making all the stuff you would want http://www.tethertools.com/ they have a lot of great stuff. One thing I would recommend other than the USB booster extension cord listed above is a little thing called a jerk stopper that will keep you from pulling the USB cord out of your camera by accident.

Website
Damian75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2011 (Sun)   #6
S.E.V.
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.

I shoot tethered to my editing PC whenever I need to do product shoots. That way after the shoot all the shots are loaded in LightRoom and ready to sort though. I have also shoot long exposure shots via tethered if I can't find my wired remote. EOS utility is a wonderful tool.

I would assume you could use a regular usb cable just longer, but like any other cable there will be a limit to the length of the cable before data loss or error will occur. I am not sure how long you can run a usb cable before hitting the cables limit.

Sevan
Old 30th of May 2011 (Mon)   #7
Hen3Ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.E.V. View Post
I shoot tethered to my editing PC whenever I need to do product shoots. That way after the shoot all the shots are loaded in LightRoom and ready to sort though. I have also shoot long exposure shots via tethered if I can't find my wired remote. EOS utility is a wonderful tool.

I would assume you could use a regular usb cable just longer, but like any other cable there will be a limit to the length of the cable before data loss or error will occur. I am not sure how long you can run a usb cable before hitting the cables limit.

Sevan
As I said, the un-amplified distance for USB cables is about 15 feet.
Hen3Ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2011 (Wed)   #8
jasonlitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen3Ry View Post
As I said, the un-amplified distance for USB cables is about 15 feet.
I've not tried shooting tethered with one, but I've had issues printing with a cable longer than 12ft without an active repeater.

7D, Rebel T2i, 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 10-22mm USM, 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Speedlite 270EX, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, Fuji X100s on order.
jasonlitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2011 (Wed)   #9
Edshropshire

I am a PC user. I tether to a laptop in my studio. I use DSLR Remote Pro with my iPhone and laptop. I really like the combination. I can show the images to the subject/model or guest can watch the images as captured. I can also use the iPhone as a remote trigger which can be helpful at times. I find it really easy to use.

For a cord I have an extension so I guess I have about 12-14 feet. personally the extension is kind of a pain when it becomes unplugged, but I also now and then unplug the camera by accident. If I shot more in the studio I would probably get use to the leash and find it easier to use.
Edshropshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of June 2011 (Fri)   #10
roakey

A post of mine copied from another conference...

Computer: HP Mini210-1000, Windows 7 starter SP1.
Canon 7D, firmware 1.2.5
Canon EOS utility, V2.10.0.0
Active USB cable extensions (10M): two USB2-AA-10M (NTI USB extenders)

Appears to work flawlessly. Zero or at worst extremely little latency difference when using two active USB2.0 10M extensions versus plugging the camera directly into the laptop. I bought two 10M cables so I didn't have to have extra wire coiled if I can get within 10M of the camera.

I have not run any long-term tests for problems like hanging, etc.

I do not know how fast the extenders will draw down the laptop’s battery.

Photographer suggestions:
• If you can, leave the photos on the camera. This will save the time of pushing files across the USB to the laptop.
• if you want to instantly see the photos on the laptop: Setup the Canon EOS utility to store the RAW photos on the camera, and only ship the .jpg files across. Set the .jpg to the lowest resolution possible to make the files as small as possible.

It's quite something being able to control the focus, exposure (both speed and aperture) flash firing, flash settings, ISO, etc. 60 feet away from the camera!

I have not had this setup "out in the field" yet, the above is all from office testing. The plan is to set the camera up next to a racetrack where I can't (and wouldn't) want to be situated and be able to take and review pictures from behind the comfort of a safety wall.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Roak

Ps. You don't have to click on the shutter release button to take pictures -- you can just press the space bar.