Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #1
osuvette

Default Main dial on 50D stopped then started working

Had a scare last night, the main dial button on my 50D stopped responding, would turn, no action.

I could not change the ISO, Aperture, advance pics in play mode, etc. I turned the camera off and back on, no joy. Changed from the 70-200 2.8 lens (it was stuck on the 2.8 setting), put on the 24-105 f/4 lens, the setting changed to f/4, could not adjust. Turned off and back on, then it started working. Very nervous, the 70-200 lens is new (used) to me, was only the second time I used it.

No errors displayed either and it worked the rest of the night, ~ 100 more pictures. Anyone have this experience? Considering sending to Canon, however don't really want to be without it while being inspected.
2 days ago

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Jeff
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #2
oldvultureface
Goldmember

Default Re: Main dial on 50D stopped then started working

Was the grip attached at the time? Frequently, that's the culprit.
oldvultureface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #3
yogestee
"hangs around male genitalia"

Possibly you didn't have the three way switch properly engaged to the upper position.

This has happened to me and my heart went into my throat for a few seconds.

http://www.pbase.com/jurgentreue
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!
yogestee is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #4
RandyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogestee View Post
Possibly you didn't have the three way switch properly engaged to the upper position.

This has happened to me and my heart went into my throat for a few seconds.
Same exact thing happened to me last night.

Just yesterday afternoon, I had been using the main dial. Pulled my camera out to use it last night and the main dial wouldn't respond. For a few seconds, I started to panic ... then I looked at the power switch.

RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2011 (Sat)   #5
oldvultureface
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by osuvette View Post
... the main dial button on my 50D stopped responding ...
To be clear, the main dial is the one by the shutter button. It won't be affected by the position of the on-off switch. If the main dial on the grip is between clicks, it will disable the main dial on the camera. The quick control dial is the one on the back of the camera and some of its functionality is affected by the on-off switch.
oldvultureface is online now   Reply With Quote