Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 30 May 2011 (Monday) 10:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Do photogs have plan B regarding weather conditions?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 30, 2011 10:09 |  #1

Hi Potn'ers

Perhaps this question is more geared for photogs in areas where rainfall is not uncommon.

I have a ceremony to shoot in a beautiful park. There is a small building/pavillion specifically dedicated for wedding ceremonies. My concern is the park is completely gorgeous when the weather is overcast or sunny. If rain occurs theres "0" coverage from the environment.

Do photogs simply get crafty with umbrellas? I'm all for creativity but having such photos primarily with umbrellas is not ideal IMO. The zinger is the timeframe allocated for post ceremony photos is extremely short. There's very little time to venture to downtown or areas where buildings may cover the B/G and bridal party from the wet.

I'm just curious if others will share there workflow when weather is not kind.

TIA,
Alan

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links
cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
May 30, 2011 10:16 |  #2

Thinking on your feet is one of the most important aspects of wedding photography.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 30, 2011 10:40 |  #3

cdifoto wrote in post #12503528external link
Thinking on your feet is one of the most important aspects of wedding photography.

Yes!!! I'm already going to be purchasing an array of umbrella's and have many photos in mind. Time frame is unkind and B/G is adamant about having photos taken in the park. I didn't think its a good idea to do a pseudo "trash the dress" shoot because in this particular park it will actually trash it......before the reception.

Lately in my local area the weather has been the worst in a decade. This spring weather is more like autumn.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

images ­ by ­ Paul
346 posts
Joined Apr 2010
USA
May 30, 2011 11:39 |  #4

In situations like that, I always make it a point to ask my bride what her plans are if it rains when we first get together. As soon as she tells me about an outside event, I'm asking for a backup plan for rain.If she has planned an outdoor ceremony or even an entire outside wedding, she must have allowed for the possibility. Then I act on her response. I've done numerous weddings from under an umbrella. I just make sure to bring an assistant with me.
As far as creativity, rain makes for a ton of possible images that are unique and beautiful.

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
May 30, 2011 11:41 |  #5

These are from a wedding I shot a couple weeks ago. It rained like crazy during the late afternoon ceremony, washing out the outdoor setting. After the rain stopped, I took these shots at the venue where the wedding was supposed to have taken place.

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/rachel%20and%20jason/rachel-208.jpg

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/rachel%20and%20jason/rachel-153.jpg

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/rachel%20and%20jason/rachel-152.jpg

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/rachel%20and%20jason/rachel-162.jpg

This is what it looked like right before the ceremony

IMAGE: http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x148/jcolman_photo/rachel%20and%20jason/rachel-122.jpg

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009
San Diego
May 30, 2011 13:33 |  #6

The wedding obviously hasnt taken place yet. Let the B&G know your concerns, and help build a backup plan. See if they are interested in shooting in the rain and possibly getting the dress dirty. If not and want to travel downtown, make time in the timeline to allow for this. Help them create a plan and build expectations on what may happen.

Bryan
Gear Listexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photographyexternal link
Red Tie Photography Blogexternal link

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 30, 2011 14:32 |  #7

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #12504406external link
The wedding obviously hasnt taken place yet. Let the B&G know your concerns, and help build a backup plan. See if they are interested in shooting in the rain and possibly getting the dress dirty. If not and want to travel downtown, make time in the timeline to allow for this. Help them create a plan and build expectations on what may happen.

Thank you!! So very logical and I've already addressed my concerns and they asked "whats my plan B". I will speak to them agian and see if they are fully aware of making a white dress "not so white" after a rainfall.

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
May 30, 2011 16:42 |  #8

It's the couples responsibilities to make sure they have suitable locations in case of rain, but I point this out to them well in advance. I always have a backup plan for photography locations in case it's wet or windy.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 30, 2011 17:26 |  #9

tim wrote in post #12505244external link
It's the couples responsibilities to make sure they have suitable locations in case of rain, but I point this out to them well in advance. I always have a backup plan for photography locations in case it's wet or windy.

Thank you Tim!

Its wishful thinking for ideal weather. Worst case scenario we'll need a shuttle to downtown and go to areas where I know there's coverage.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,552 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Alberta, CANADA
May 30, 2011 18:30 |  #10

Yeah, I always have backup locations planned, but having shot in Vancouver, it's not exactly easy to go from one place to another in a reasonable amount of time. Are you talking about Queen E park? Yeah, there isn't really anywhere to go in case of rain, except under the trees, which only works in pretty light rain.

Definitely have umbrellas and say lots of prayers. But really, if it's raining bad then I'd look for ANYTHING that has shelter and a reasonable amount of space, even parkades. Are there any parkades that have sections that are relatively empty? Who am I kidding, this is Vancouver. Everything is probably crowded. Sorry dude, that's a tough one.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link |Instagramexternal link | Gear

AlanU
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 30, 2011 20:06 |  #11

picturecrazy wrote in post #12505708external link
Yeah, I always have backup locations planned, but having shot in Vancouver, it's not exactly easy to go from one place to another in a reasonable amount of time. Are you talking about Queen E park? Yeah, there isn't really anywhere to go in case of rain, except under the trees, which only works in pretty light rain.

Definitely have umbrellas and say lots of prayers. But really, if it's raining bad then I'd look for ANYTHING that has shelter and a reasonable amount of space, even parkades. Are there any parkades that have sections that are relatively empty? Who am I kidding, this is Vancouver. Everything is probably crowded. Sorry dude, that's a tough one.

Hey Lloyd,

just think I was gonna pester you with an email :)

Yes its Queen E park and there really isn't much for coverage at the park.

The B/G is aware of the potential wet weather so I'll let them sweat it for plan B. I will scout to see whats close...fun fun :(

I appreciate all the info...thank you all!

KSPhotography
287 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Chicago Suburbs
May 31, 2011 12:20 |  #12

jcolman wrote in post #12503931external link
These are from a wedding I shot a couple weeks ago. It rained like crazy during the late afternoon ceremony, washing out the outdoor setting. After the rain stopped, I took these shots at the venue where the wedding was supposed to have taken place.

http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...nd%20jason/rachel-208.jpgexternal link

http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...nd%20jason/rachel-153.jpgexternal link

http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...nd%20jason/rachel-152.jpgexternal link

http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...nd%20jason/rachel-162.jpgexternal link

This is what it looked like right before the ceremony

http://i182.photobucke​t.com ...nd%20jason/rachel-122.jpgexternal link

I <3 old man Colman! You're awesome with your help and examples. I'm a very visual person so these examples are beautiful.

Also, they're a little too well lit for my taste, I prefer natural lighting...hahah...(OT reference) :p

Wedding Photographer for the Indian Community in Chicago
(2) 5D Mark II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2 II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 16-35L II, 100mm Macro and a few more L's

Oranje
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Holland
Jun 03, 2011 17:48 |  #13

A wedding last week with a lot of rain!(Holland)
I always have plastic bags with me to cover my flash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Your ­ Story ­ Photoart
461 posts
Joined Oct 2010
my own little world
Jun 03, 2011 19:53 |  #14

I ALWAYS discuss a "plan B" location for shooting, should the weather turn ugly. even if the wedding and reception are indoors, the couple usually wants to have some outside shots done so we always make a plan so that things can keep moving if it rains.

you can't prepare for everything but you do have to be ready for anything.

iPhone gripped

sponsored links

1,521 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do photogs have plan B regarding weather conditions?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.