Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 30 May 2011 (Monday) 12:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which TTP Retrospective bag...?

DarthSparky
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
May 30, 2011 12:23 |  #1

I'm not yet finished feeding my bag addiction, and following my TTP Sling-O-Matic 30 purchase I'm looking for a shoulder bag to work out of. I'm (99%) sold on the TTP Retrospective, but cant decide what size to go for. I need to carry:

Gripped 5D2, 24-105, 100 L Macro, 70-200, 430 EX II; 580 EX II; PW Mini and Flex TT5 (x2).

Do I need to get the 30, or could I get away with a smaller size?

Thanks in advance

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sponsored links
mike_d
Goldmember
4,911 posts
Joined Aug 2009
May 30, 2011 13:39 |  #2

I have a Retro10 with 5D w/L plate (no grip).

Typical configurations inside the bag's main compartment are:

5D mounted to (24-105 or 17-40) + (70-200 f/4 or 100-400) + 580EXII

I might throw a small lens like the 50/1.4 or 15mm fisheye in the front pocket. I don't like to overstuff my bags since it makes it harder to work out of, especially with the hoods. Remember the Retros have short belts on the sides so you could attach a modular or skin pouch for an extra lens or flash. If you want to carry your camera mounted to the 70-200, I'd look at the Retro 20 since its a couple inches taller than the 10 or 30.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
May 30, 2011 16:18 |  #3

Retro 10.

The 20 is designed for a 70-200 mounted on a pro body in the bag. In practice, I do that all the time with my R10 and it works fine AND I don't have to have the extra depth given the flap is easily able to cover it (only sticks up another 1/2" or so). You might want to consider the extra flash thingie (can't remember the name) and mount it on the external rail otherwise it's going to be tight. If tight is ok, then no.

The R10 is a fantastic shoulder bag. Best I know of.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

thenextguy
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Las Vegas, NV
May 30, 2011 18:34 |  #4

DarthSparky wrote in post #12504139external link
I'm not yet finished feeding my bag addiction, and following my TTP Sling-O-Matic 30 purchase I'm looking for a shoulder bag to work out of. I'm (99%) sold on the TTP Retrospective, but cant decide what size to go for. I need to carry:

Gripped 5D2, 24-105, 100 L Macro, 70-200, 430 EX II; 580 EX II; PW Mini and Flex TT5 (x2).

Do I need to get the 30, or could I get away with a smaller size?

Despite the numbering system, the 20 and 30 are roughly the same size. The dimensions are just different. (The 20 is taller, the 30 is wider.)

If you're going for one of the big ones (not the 10), I'd go with the 20 because you have the 70-200.

You might be able to get by with the 10 with the gear you have, though. The guy in this review has similar gear to you: http://www.youtube.com ...DOnx9aiqA&feature=r​elatedexternal link

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

alpenglowing
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined May 2011
May 30, 2011 19:21 |  #5

If you're looking for something to work out of, I'd look closer at the Retrospective LC3. You already have a nice sling bag for those times when you need to carry the camera and lenses, so why not just go for a lens changer setup for quick lens swaps in the field?

darrenleow
31 posts
Joined Oct 2009
May 31, 2011 01:12 as a reply to alpenglowing's post |  #6

I think either the 10 or the 20 would work, depending on how often you carry the 70-200 attached to the camera. If you carry the 70-200 attached quite often, the extra space on the inside might make life easier over the long run. That said, the furry velcro patches on the front of the bag are huge, so there shouldn't be a big problem covering the flap on a TTR10 over a mounted 70-200, as others have pointed out.

I don't think the internal flash pockets work very well because they make it really difficult for lenses to be accessed in the end compartments. I'd keep the flashes and PWs in the front compartment, which is large enough swallow up even a pro DSLR. Either that or attach a flash pouch on the outside of the bag if you need to carry your flashes.

xMClass
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jun 2008
California
May 31, 2011 01:15 |  #7

The Retrospective 10 might work but it'll be tight. You might have to store your 5D in the front pocket to fit a 3rd lens and having 2 flashes in the side pockets will make the space narrower too.

Here's what I fit inside mine before I upgraded to the 30.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

-Mikey

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
May 31, 2011 08:56 |  #8

In reality, if you have to carry more than will fit in the R10, you are probably confusing the purpose of the R10. It's a shooter's bag not a storage bag - i.e. you shoot out of it and carry it all day.

FWIW, I routinely carry my 70-200 f/2.8 mkII, 24-105, 580 Flash, and 17-40 with me in the R10. Any of those can be on or off the camera (1Dmk3). I reverse the hoods but would even if it was deeper. I bang stuff around enough that I could hurt the threading on the hoods.

J.

Obsessive Gear List
"It isn't what you don't know that gets you in trouble; it's what you know for sure that isn't so." - Mark Twain

Savas ­ K
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Joined May 2007
May 31, 2011 12:10 |  #9

The part that gets me in trouble is underestimating stuff besides lenses, body and flash: Light modifiers, batteries, blower, cloth, loup, angle finder. This all adds up in space and weight. I have always felt that maintaning external pouches suggests an incorrectly sized bag. Many of us wind up with a few bags for specific purposes.

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
May 31, 2011 13:21 |  #10

Savas K wrote in post #12509762external link
The part that gets me in trouble is underestimating stuff besides lenses, body and flash: Light modifiers, batteries, blower, cloth, loup, angle finder. This all adds up in space and weight. I have always felt that maintaning external pouches suggests an incorrectly sized bag. Many of us wind up with a few bags for specific purposes.

bw!

Even me, a bag-a-holic of epic proportions, has not given the subject camera bags and their "correct sizing" this level of reflection and thought. I am impressed.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
May 31, 2011 14:12 |  #11

Savas K wrote in post #12509762external link
I have always felt that maintaining external pouches suggests an incorrectly sized bag.

depends on what % of the time and what the other options are IMHO.
I love my R5 and R10. Both get extra bags added to them every now and again. But the R5 with ONE pouch on the side is smaller than an R10 still, and perfect for landscape shooting if the camera doesn't need to go into the bag. My R10 holds most all my photo kit. But there are times when I want to also bring my lighting kit with ALL my other gear, and for that I need 2 bags on the sides, but an R30 is overkill for most of what I do...

Ideally I'd have an R5, R7.5 (for when I'm using an R5 w/ bag), R10 and maybe an R30, but I can get by with just the R5 and R10 if I can use bags...

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,759 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
May 31, 2011 14:36 |  #12

I usually have an add-on pouch with my bags which carries the "support" stuff which I don't need when I am out shooting. This would include battery chargers, USB Flash Card Readers, cleaning supplies, cables, etc.). This makes transporting my gear without forgetting anything easy, but I can remove the support stuff and leave it in the car or hotel room when I don't need it, reducing weight and space while I am out walking and shooting. This also keeps it all together so I don't leave something in the hotel room when I check out.

-howard

JohnJ80
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Oct 2006
May 31, 2011 15:57 |  #13

hfgarris wrote in post #12510610external link
I usually have an add-on pouch with my bags which carries the "support" stuff which I don't need when I am out shooting. This would include battery chargers, USB Flash Card Readers, cleaning supplies, cables, etc.). This makes transporting my gear without forgetting anything easy, but I can remove the support stuff and leave it in the car or hotel room when I don't need it, reducing weight and space while I am out walking and shooting. This also keeps it all together so I don't leave something in the hotel room when I check out.

-howard

great idea! I like that.

J.

Obsessive Gear List

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Michigan, home of the Zombie plague
May 31, 2011 16:03 |  #14

If you ever plan on having a gripped DSLR + 70-200 2.8 + hood (not reversed) + 2x TC, you'll want the TTR30. It just barely fits going lengthwise.

My Gearlist

DarthSparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Surrey, UK
May 31, 2011 17:02 |  #15

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your thoughts.

I've decided to go with the 30 - should easily swallow my requirements, plus all the odds and sods I will end up carrying.

Rich

Rich | 1DX | Gripped 5D2 | 17-40 4L | 24-105 4L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L Macro IS | 600EX-RT | Gear List | www.richbaileyphotogra​phy.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,771 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which TTP Retrospective bag...?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.