Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 02 Jun 2011 (Thursday) 02:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What's Canon currently up to?

VillanuevaPhotography
637 posts
Joined Dec 2010
San Fernando Valley
Jun 02, 2011 02:46 |  #1

In other words, does anyone know what Canon's current market plan is to increase their sales? I know the 5DMK3 and the 1DMKV will probably be released sometime by the end of this year to 2012, and will help them greatly, but what is Canon currently doing to keep them 'above the rest'?

| Gear List | Online Portfolio (external link) | Instagram (external link)|

sponsored links
HeadShotBoom
50 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Jun 02, 2011 05:06 |  #2

Canonrumors.com is a very reliable source of information on topics like this. He has been gathering insider information from Canon employees and other people in the know for quite some time now and he posts the information as he believes it becomes credible along with his own rating scheme for how likely the information is to be accurate. He posts information on what patents Canon is filing and what there press releases are. Along with some other information that isnt public knowledge. He of course leaves out the sources of the info so they can keep there jobs.

He has predicted the release of several camera bodies and lenses to within weeks, sometimes days accuracy in the few years that I have been following them. He will also keep you posted when places like B&H have a sale or when Canon is offering (Or about to offer) a new rebate program.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Back in the 757
Jun 20, 2011 20:21 |  #3

Apparently they have no plans for anything other than painting their Rebels different colors...

:(

Last Shot Photography
My Siteexternal link ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

markc
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Maryland
Jun 20, 2011 21:53 |  #4

_aravena wrote in post #12628823external link
Apparently they have no plans for anything other than painting their Rebels different colors...

Dang it. I was totally gonna say that.

Body: | Canon T2i Gripped |
Lenses: | 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS | 28 1.8 | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 |

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Back in the 757
Jun 21, 2011 09:01 |  #5

:lol: It's nice to know where a company is going.

Last Shot Photography
My Siteexternal link ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010
San Jose, CA
Jun 21, 2011 23:53 |  #6

VillanuevaPhotography wrote in post #12520810external link
In other words, does anyone know what Canon's current market plan is to increase their sales? I know the 5DMK3 and the 1DMKV will probably be released sometime by the end of this year to 2012, and will help them greatly, but what is Canon currently doing to keep them 'above the rest'?

help them greatly how?

id rather see some more.... inovations than just "ohh here is an upgrade!"

if they just add a(nother) stop of ISO, and half a frame per second faster to the 1D5.... well.....

yeah, i cant say that canon is working TOO hard then....

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,222 posts
Joined Aug 2007
San Jose, California
Jun 24, 2011 12:51 |  #7

It's all a guessing game... sometimes with more or less information, or perhps based upon Canon's past practices.... For example...

Most likely, 1Ds MkIV will be introduced soon... rumor is that Canon plans to make some announcements in July or August, perhaps one or two cameras, maybe more likely two or three lenses. The 1Ds4 is overdue about 6 months, assuming Canon plans to stick with roughly the same upgrade cycle they've used with the previous 1Ds models.

There's also some speculation about what will be done to the 1Ds4... Most likely it will get a higher resolution sensor. Canon doesn't like not being the top dawg and both Nikon and Sony presently have higher resolution (24MP vs 21MP) FF cameras. It's anyone's guess... 1Ds4 might be 27MP, 32MP, 34MP, 37MP or something else. Besides that, it will probably have video capability and I would expect very high ISO capability (1Ds3 tops out at 3200 while the 5D2 goes all the way to 25600... that makes no sense except that the 5D2 came out a year later after a lot of ISO increases had been implemented in many models). Look to the 1D4 for other ideas what they might incorporate in the new 1Ds4.

There have been tons of rumors about 5D3... With high anticipation that we'll see one soon. But both previous models were intro'd about a year after their parallel 1Ds models... Some think to keep from undercutting the sales of the top-of-the-line camera. If they stick with this, 5D3 might not appear until Summer 2012, and then only if the 1Ds4 actually appears in the next month or so.

It's still a big "maybe". Canon can do whatever they want, whenever they want and once they feel the camera is ready to go to market.

The only really safe predictions are that folks will start posting here whining about the new camera long before it's actually available and they've had a chance to try it out, we'll see links to all the advance reviews (and can probably predict some reviewers who will love the new model, and others who will hate it), then it will gradually be accepted over the course of a couple months until eventually it's the best thing since sliced bread, then we will start to hear how new Nikon models are superior and people are thinking of "going to the Dark Side", then about 6 months after any new model is introduced the rumors will start about the next version and people will begin asking "should I wait for the 5D4" or whatever. Ultimately, it's far easier to predict what people will do here, than what Canon will do.

Alan Myers "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - EXPOSUREMANAGER (external link)

Rayk
Goldmember
1,813 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Luton, Bedfordshire, UK
Jun 24, 2011 17:09 |  #8

What will be will be.

Regards Ray
LRPS - Licentiateship of The Royal Photographic Society- CPAGB - ACA - Adobe Certified Associate -
www.rakphotographic.co​m (external link)
Follow me on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Brighton , East Sussex
Jun 26, 2011 11:59 |  #9

You know, it's all absolute tosh.

Things were rumored to be out in November, Dec, Jan Feb, etc.

Just forget about it and enjoy taking photos :)

Chris Giles Photography

nekrosoft13
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
Jun 27, 2011 13:52 |  #10
banned

Probably trying to decide how much they can raise the price on lenses before people stop buying them

Gear List

RobDickinson
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
New Zealand
Jun 27, 2011 19:31 |  #11

Canon are making a fortune at the moment, I'm sure they have plans for a bunch of lenses and bodies but why rush, probably still recovering from the quakes.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,014 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Royersford, PA
Jun 27, 2011 19:53 |  #12

Maybe they will just buy RED miniaturize everything and wipe out all competition with a killer small system with no moving parts and a computer composite system of 8 lenses in one barrel with an effective FL of 10-400 f/4 which will produce 11x14 quality prints at 100% crops. Or maybe not. Maybe they will just incrementally upgrade for a decade and pump as much cash out of the business as possible while going home at 5 every day. Or not.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link 
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link

:cool:

tmwag
Brown Noser has crush on Suzyview
Joined Feb 2009
Kansas City
Jun 27, 2011 20:15 |  #13

S.Horton wrote in post #12667798external link
Maybe they will just buy RED miniaturize everything and wipe out all competition with a killer small system with no moving parts and a computer composite system of 8 lenses in one barrel with an effective FL of 10-400 f/4 which will produce 11x14 quality prints at 100% crops. Or maybe not. Maybe they will just incrementally upgrade for a decade and pump as much cash out of the business as possible while going home at 5 every day. Or not.

Yea, that's what I was tinkin

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 28, 2011 08:12 |  #14

_aravena wrote in post #12628823external link

This is a TOTALLY HOT idea! I've read elsewhere that the red one really rocks and takes killer photos every time.

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,298 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Magalia, CA
Jun 28, 2011 16:08 |  #15

What is the latest rumours on the 3D full frame?

6D, 5D, 7D, 50D, 40D, Xsi, PENTAX mx-1, Sony a6000, Sony a3000 too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

sponsored links

13,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's Canon currently up to?
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.