Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #1
SolEterna

Default Canon Rebel EOS XS - Aperture question

Hi All,

I have just bought myself a new lens and started to learn more and more about my camera. I'm loving it and it's fast becoming my hobby. I almost cannot wait to get outdoors to get an opportunity to take photos.

I have recently started using the M mode on my Rebel XS as I have been taking evening photo's and over-exposing them with some good results here and there. My issue is that sometimes in manual mode I can set my aperture to 3.5 and then I take the photo, however, my camera then seems to move the setting back to around 5.6.

I then try to change the aperture setting back to 3.5 and it will not do it. For some reason I cannot seem to take advantage of the 3.5 aperture setting.

I am using the Tamron 18-270mm VC Model B003 F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO lens. While this lens is great and possibly more than I need for my little entry level Rebel EOS XS, I wanted a lens that gave me a relatively wide angle and zoom capabilities without compromising on the aperture options. My camera is also capable of handling the aperture settings, but it keeps defaulting to 5.6 and will then not allow me to change it.

Please can anyone offer me some advice on this?

If you need any further information on this, please let me know.

P.S. As mentioned, I'm trying to over-expose my images at night. Using shutter speeds between 15" - 30" and trying to use the maximum possible aperture on my lens. My pictures are being taken late at night when there is very little natural light.
SolEterna is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #2
GreenBox

Default Re: Canon Rebel EOS XS - Aperture question

its your lens.

your tamron has a f3.5-6.3 which means that as you zoom the maximum aperture will change.

so the only way you can change it is to get a quicker lens.
pro-optics 8mm
GreenBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #3
SolEterna

Okay, so when you say quicker, what exactly are you talking about??

Does this mean that when I am at a large zoom the aperture will not allow me to go to 3.5??

Also, is there any way to compensate for this??
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #4
chrisandaivi

^ he's right It's not you, it's your lens It's not a constant aperture lens. For example it's not a constant F4 or a F2.8. Those kind of lenses eventhough you zoom the aperture will not change, It will be constant F4.
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC
chrisandaivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #5
PLLphotography
with the TF

you can't with your current lens.

faster lens means a lens with a wider aperture (f/2.8, 2.0, 1.8, 1.4, etc.).

the only way you can have a constant aperture on your current lens is if you set it to 6.3, then you can zoom throughout your entire focal length, and your aperture won't change
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #6
GreenBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolEterna View Post
Okay, so when you say quicker, what exactly are you talking about??

Does this mean that when I am at a large zoom the aperture will not allow me to go to 3.5??

Also, is there any way to compensate for this??
quicker meaning a constant aperture value like what chrisandaivi said.

when you're at full zoom, you're aperture will be at 6.3, no matter what you do. that's the limitation of your lens

the only way to compensate would to get a better lens.
pro-optics 8mm
GreenBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #7
SolEterna

Okay, thanks everyone. So perhaps a 50mm prime lens would be a better option??

I will try using the 6.3 aperture and see if I get a good effect or not. Either way, the pictures are still coming out relatively well overall. Your comments make complete sense though. Thanks again everyone.

Great forum and the feedback is quick and poignant.
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #8
PLLphotography
with the TF

look for lenses that don't have a "range" of f-stop values...

such as Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

your lens - Tamron 18-270mm VC Model B003 F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO, has a variable aperture.
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #9
PLLphotography
with the TF

you have to keep in mind, your aperture, ISO, and shutter speed all play a part in your photos.

setting your aperture to 6.3 will greatly decrease the amount of light getting to your lens, which will reduce your shutter speed considerably. the only way to compensate for that is to bump up your ISO, which will introduce noise into your photo.

if you want a prime, check out the 50mm f/1.8. it's cheap and has a maximum f/1.8 aperture. it's no zoom obviously, but it's a great lens to learn with.
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #10
WayneCornish

Everyone else beat me to it but here are the focal length/apature values for your lens:

18-29mm f/3.5
30-45mm f/4
46-58mm f/4.5
59-90mm f/5
91-237mm f/5.6
238-270mm f/6.3
Currently Using - Fujifilm X-E1 | XF 18-55 f/2.8-4 R OIS || Bodies Owned - Canon 1DS II | 5D MKII | 7D | 50D's | 40D's | 450D | 350D | Lenses Owned - Canon 17-40 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII | 70-200 f/4L IS | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Many other lenses and film bodies/lenses.
WayneCornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #11
SolEterna

So, to sum it up then, I can either shoot with my current lens between 18-29mm which will give me the best possible aperture on my lens, OR, I can get a lens with a fixed aperture?

Would a fixed aperture lens not "limit," the opportunities to take photos?? Sorry about all the questions, but I really am a newbie at this and want to learn. You have all been a great help so far.
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #12
PLLphotography
with the TF

that's what the forum is for, questions and answers

yes, if you wanted the absolute widest aperture of your current lens, you are restricted to the above-mentioned focal lengths.

fixed aperture lenses will not limit you in the sense of you picking an aperture and it changing on you. once you set it, it's set until you change it.

aperture affects depth of field, the amount of light that comes into your lens, which affects shutter speed, etc. the wider your aperture, the more light, the higher the shutter speed, which may help reduce camera shake (lens blur), and allow you to take photos in lower light.

the cheapest lens you can get with a fixed aperture is the "nifty fifty", 50mm f/1.8. you can usually find them used for around $100 here on the forum.
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #13
PLLphotography
with the TF

take a look at these free online videos.

aperture values
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/A...Photography-TV

depth of field
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/D...ield-AdoramaTV

nifty fifty
http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/S...y-50-AdoramaTV
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #14
SolEterna

Thanks PWard,

As I am new to all of this, I want to learn everything I can There is so much to learn and so many different options and features.

I guess the bottom line is to play around with the features until you get used to specific settings on your camera in certain situations, etc.

Thanks again
Old 2nd of June 2011 (Thu)   #15
PLLphotography
with the TF

read the camera manual....re-read it. practice, practice, practice. it's digital, no film expenses to worry about

the links I gave you have a LOT more videos on the left-hand side if you look. Adorama is a pretty great source of info.

and of course, search for your answers through this forum. search feature is great.