Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2011 (Tue)   #1
StephenAndrew

Default 1st Engagement shoot

As the title says - 1st e-session. A friend of mine and her fiance. Non paid shoot, we've been good friends since high school and it was good practice to boot. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the antique style edits, but they wanted it for some. C&C welcome and appreciated.

StephenAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2011 (Tue)   #2
SurfAndSand
User is banned from forums

Default Re: 1st Engagement shoot

I agree - the antique look isn't my favorite. I have seen some that I like, but these just look yellow and desaturated. I'm not a huge fan of the tilt on the last one. The tilts on the others are - ok I think, I'm a bit confused. It looks like you have a favorite tilt angle though, eh?

Otherwise, some nice pictures in there.
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2011 (Tue)   #3
auroraskye
Goldmember

Well they look like they had fun so that is a great thing. Here's my CC. Too much tilt overall. I find that newbies tilt a LOT. I know I tilted way more in the beginning and I rarely tilt now.

#1 - Underexposed, color is pretty green and the tit is eh. But if you improve the exposure and color it'll be much improved.

#2 - Same as above but actually their skin looks red here.. Bumping the brightness/exposure will help with that.

#3 - Same as above, but this one isn't QUITE as badly underexposed and the skin tones look closer to correct. They are different in all three shots

#4 - I think it's a cute concept and yay for no tilt! I love their cute expressions. You have some hot spots (his head, her leg) and the processing.. it looks like someone peed on the image. Yes, vintage does have a warm tint to it but I think this is too yellow.

#5 - Pretty much all the same thoughts as above.

#6 - I like the moment and the composition but you have some hard light here.

#7 - Focus and DOF is nice.. Light is a bit harsh and they look really orange.

#8 - Same as above and tilt is no good. It makes you feel like you're sliding out of the frame.

I think overall you show good potential but you just need to work on fine tuning your technical skills and your processing for a more consistant result.

http://www.brandithompsonphotography.com
Like Me On Facebook
auroraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2011 (Tue)   #4
CanonGrl01

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraskye View Post
Well they look like they had fun so that is a great thing. Here's my CC. Too much tilt overall. I find that newbies tilt a LOT. I know I tilted way more in the beginning and I rarely tilt now.
Funny, I'm a newbie and am kinda obsessed with getting it completely straight. Was actually thinking when I first saw the shots, hmmm... maybe I should try the tilt. Just never seems to work for me.
CanonGrl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2011 (Tue)   #5
StephenAndrew

Haha, yeah I wanted to experiment a bit with tilting...never really played around with it much until this shoot so it was fun to try. I have shots that are straight as well just to be sure I covered everything though. My brief stint as a real estate photographer had me obsessing over straight lines for a while; this was a nice chance to go a little crazy.

Thanks for your input Aurora, that's exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. Yeah, it was definitely sunny that day, and the only time they were available for the shoot was late morning/early afternoon...ugh. I was hoping for a little cloud cover, but no such luck. Found some shade at the first location, but nothing I could really do about it at the beach.
StephenAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote